Best Scene in Inglorious Baserds

Write your favorite scene from IG and why it is your favorite scene. Please try not to pick any of the chapters as your favorite scene scene, unless your favorite scene is the first chapter, because chapter one is essentially one scene.

As a matter of fact I do believe the first scene of the movie is the best in the movie and possibly one of QT’s best ever. I could probably analyze this scene forever but i will try to make it short and to the point…

A lot of the greatness of the scene comes from the music. As usual QT pick great music to go along w/ the visual. With this scene the music sets the tone of a western type stand off happening. And in all actualitly the scene is a colonel merely having a calm collected conversation with a seemingly innocent dairy farmer.

But somehow as you are watching this for the first time you notices this tension going back and forth between Landa and Lapadie that is almost created out of thin air. Every word builds towards Landa confronting Mr. Lapadie about sheltering EOS and after awhile you think he might just leave, he even says he is going to leave but it ends up being all apart of his agenda to intimidate the French dairy farmer into admits what the Colonel already knew even before the scene happened; the jews were under the floor.

Its all that and much more why i think its the best scene. IF YOU AGREE WITH ME ABOUT THIS SCENE BEING THE BEST OF THE MOVIE THEN TRY TO COMPARE IT TO OTHER QT GREAT SCENES.

. . . inglourious is packed top to bottom with all these great quentin tarantino set-ups and killer payoffs . . .

. . . my favorite? the part where landa finds von hammersmark’s shoe in the basement tavern leads into my favorite scene, the sequence where we see landa have his private meeting with von hammersmark in shosanna’s office in the theatre. the scene is so utterly a classic “movie” moment in the tradition of de palma and, of course, hitchcock. inglourious is very much modeled after those two masters and it plays like a tribute to de palma and hitch . . .

My favourite scene is the Bear Jew scene. Eli pwned that shit! And I totally dug old dude getting his brains beat in.

But I also loved the Stiglitz rescue scene. That was just greatness.

Also, when Frederick shot Shoshana, and the music goes as the scene slows down to show the blood exploding out of her.

And I loved when Donny was shooting hitler, then the bomb goes off.

And the part where Aldo shoots Hermann at the end, and Utivich gets to scalping him, and then, well, the end is perfect.

I loved the first scene, with LaPedite and Landa too.

And the scene where Landa enters the french cafe and has the confrontation with

Shoshana. It was amazing.

The whole movie was amazing.

The Italian scene is fucking hillarious.

The funniest written part of that scene isn’t even in the film.

Tarantino + David Bowie = Epicness

[quote=“Scarface”]Tarantino + David Bowie = Epicness[/quote]

Right. I got goosebumps when Cat People started playing. That music mixed with the images was just so perfectly fitting.

I don’t why the fuck I’m on here, I have so much fucking work to do it’s unreal. But it’s just my way of procrastinating, it’s killing me, but what can you do?

Well anyway, I know I keep saying I’m going to watch IB, I’ve been saying so since I got it on Blu Ray 3 days before the UK release day, but I was just waiting for the right time and I think tonight is the night. I’m quite ill and was just about to pop Rio Bravo in whilst I try to get some work done. I love watching Westerns when I’m ill, can hardly move but comfortably numb, haha.

So as a prelude to my (probable) proper reply to this thread, I would reply…

I agree with Mr. Red that the opening sequence is one of QT’s finest. He captures so perfectly the tone of Leone’s Westerns, which he hasn’t really done before. It was a cross between Lee Van Cleef’s first scene in GBU and the whole Farm Massacre scene in OUATITW with abit of Ford’s The Searchers added in for good measure. It was the scene I always wanted QT to do, and he did it almost to perfection. I say almost, because there is one bit which kinda annoys me. In one of the clips released a couple of months before the film - “Hans Landa” (which I must have watched 100 times) - Landa’s segment of his monologue in that scene isn’t in the final cut of the film. I don’t know why QT cut it, but I thought it was great, and I kept waiting for that bit and so was quite disappointed when it didn’t come :frowning:

Here it is:

Inglorious Bastards - "Hans Landa" - YouTube

Apart from the Italian scene, one of my other favourite scenes is when Landa bursts into laughter upon hearing BVH’s story about why her leg was in a cast. It was a genius moment, and I burst out laughing myself. It’s genius because with the exception of the ending, Landa knows exactly what he is doing, he knows everything the whole time. He gets his kicks out of toying with people. He does it with Perrier LaPadite, Shosanna, Aldo Raine et al. and then in that scene with Bridget. He obviously knew she was lying, and probably had some notion in his mind about what reasons she would give him. So when she said she was “mountain climbing” (a reference to QT on making IB?) it was so absurd that he couldn’t help but to burst out laughing. It was such a brilliant moment, very random but it works so well.

OK, I just finished watching Inglourious Basterds on Blu Ray. I have to say that it doesn’t seem as rushed as when I saw it at the cinema. I didn’t get the feeling of rough cuts or anything, and it all seemed pretty accomplished. I don’t know whether that is a genuine improvement or whether I’m just used to it.

A few points:

• I like how all the names on the cards in the La Louisianne scene are written by QT.

• Donny and Utivich’s American mannerisms detracted me quite significantly from most of the scenes they were in. They didn’t fit in at all with the rest of the cast nor the tone. This says more about their acting talent though. Novak especially, I don’t know why the fuck he is in this film.

• Bo Svenson and Enzo Castellari are both names in the credits, I couldn’t spot either of them (not in the cinema on the two occasions or on Blu Ray). Were they cut?

• I noticed this the first time I watched it, but just forgot to mention it - the way Shosanna escapes from under the farm house, she looks like a rat scampering for her life. Clever visual.

Bo Svenson was the Colonel in Nation’s Pride, you can hear his voice right after you hear QT’s voice while the movie is playing in the cinema. Enzo was in the lobby of the cinema, and the front row of the cinema. I didn’t see him in his seat, I just saw it on the bonus feature.

Thanks for clearing that up, Geoi.

Best line - when Landa says "THAT’S a bingo!"

Cracks me up every time.

[quote=“Sgt. Geoi Donowitz”]Bo Svenson was the Colonel in Nation’s Pride, you can hear his voice right after you hear QT’s voice while the movie is playing in the cinema. Enzo was in the lobby of the cinema, and the front row of the cinema. I didn’t see him in his seat, I just saw it on the bonus feature.[/quote]

I recall seeing Bo in Nation’s Pride. Maybe that’s what you meant, but you definitely see him.

That Enzo bit was fantastic! I doubt it would have worked in the movie but I kinda wish I could see it there, just for kicks. Although maybe it might’ve worked for people who aren’t film geeks, I doubt most people would have recognized him and he would just be another Nazi.

Don’t know about best but my favorite scene was the one between Shosanna and Zoller in the bistro. I’m in love with Melanie Laurent.

[quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”][quote=“Sgt. Geoi Donowitz”]Bo Svenson was the Colonel in Nation’s Pride, you can hear his voice right after you hear QT’s voice while the movie is playing in the cinema. Enzo was in the lobby of the cinema, and the front row of the cinema. I didn’t see him in his seat, I just saw it on the bonus feature.[/quote]

I recall seeing Bo in Nation’s Pride. Maybe that’s what you meant, but you definitely see him.
[/quote]

That’s what I said, right? Oh, I said you hear his voice. I couldn’t remember if I saw him in the film or the extras. But I knew I heard him at least.

Although I had no idea that was QT’s voice! Badass! Listening to it now it’s obviously him but I wouldn’t have guessed it before. I thought he’d limited his appearence to being scalped!

My fav scene was when some smurfs was blowing each other and won awards for it. Oh wait, wrong movie. 8)

[quote=“G”]My fav scene was when some smurfs was blowing each other and won awards for it. Oh wait, wrong movie. 8)[/quote]

Haha…

What was your fave scene. Aside from the award winning blue monkeys?

[quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”][quote=“G”]My fav scene was when some smurfs was blowing each other and won awards for it. Oh wait, wrong movie. 8)[/quote]

Haha…

What was your fave scene. Aside from the award winning blue monkeys?[/quote]

hmmm, the Tavern or the Bowie sequence.

Aldo, the “first best” Italian speaker… when he finally gets his moment to speak Italian, he speaks the most American, not-Italian “buon giorno” I’ve ever heard. Hilarious! :laugh: