Basterds will sweep the Academy Awards

I have a great feeling ladies and germs, and I’m not speaking to you as a QT fanboy, I’m saying this as an avid cinema-goer, I’ve seen some of the “best” films this horrible year has to offer and Inglourious Basterds still stands very strong. I’ve seen Basterds more than five time already and the film just keeps getting better and better.

These are the contenders it will go up against:

BEST PICTURE

1- Up In The Air

by Jason Reitman (that Canadian won’t win. Down with Canada, all the way down!)

2- Crazy Heart

by some indie guy. They should call this film The Wrestler II

3- Avatar

seeing that the competition is very weak this one will get a nomination

4-Wall *E

I think this was released in 2009. Not too sure :-</E>

5-Sherlock Holmes

You might laugh but trust me, it’s gonna get a nomination

6- 500 Days Of Summer

directed by another indie guy.

You know when you have trouble filling up the slots, it just shows you how bad this year is, you know it’s been a while since we’ve seen a great film that isin’t about some loser of a person trying to succeed in life, I mean how many times do we have to see that kitchen-sink crap like Precious. I hope they don’t overlook Inglourious Basterds this year, it was a crowd favorite, many critics enjoyed it - and it’s towering over the other films this year, and it’s already fucking late December, we’re not going to see other shit come out. It’s a down year compared to last year’s awards. The only thing worth rewatching twice this year was Basterds.

Hey! Don’t down Precious. It’s basically a woman’s film. I found it to be emotionally moving. And I’m not some delicate flower he watches all those Drama’s and cries at the drop of a hat. Do I think it will be nominated for best picture??? No. And if it is, will it win? No. But I still enjoyed the movie and recommend it totally.

Even QT put it in his top 10 for this year. :stuck_out_tongue:

Will Basterds win? It would be great if it does sweeps the Academy Awards. I have faith in the film and it’s actors. But the Academy, well that’s another beast all together. I never like their choices. But sometimes they do come thru and recognize a truly GREAT film. But not very often.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
4-Wall *E

I think this was released in 2009. Not too sure :-</E>
[/quote]

Wall-E was 2008 and it was already nominated for the Oscars btw.

Swap Wall-E for Up I think. I’d imagine Star Trek would get a nomination ahead of Sherlock Holmes, but I seriously doubt either is gonna happen, too many Oscar appropriate flicks this year. I doubt Crazy Heart will get a nom either. No fucking doubt the Basterds are in though, so at least something right is gonna happen. But it’s not too much of a stretch to imagine what happened to There Will Be Blood would happen to Basterds.

Either way it’s a shit year :stuck_out_tongue:

I’d rather see another movie win over Basterds. I’ve seen IB 3 times in theaters and I’m confident when I say it’s QT’s most uneven film. It’s like it has no spine to hold it together or something. There is a very huge gap between best and worst scenes from this movie, something which I haven’t witnessed with any of QT’s films before.

Actually, the main reason why Basterds is a notable QT movie is because of the ballsiness of History reenactment and the fact that it turned out so well. I really, really loved the whole idea behind IB, but it really felt like it should have been a book more than a movie. And while it is his best script yet (IMO), the process of turning words into life didn’t turn out as well as it should have, even if most of the actors were perfect in it.

For this reason, I think there’s a lot of categories in which IB should be rewarded (Best script, for a start), but I’d rather wait and see a real complete, square, awesome, and 200% finished-with-no-rush film from QT win an Oscar than IB.

I’m saying that even if, in my opinion, IB was the best film this year, hands down. Also, I’m sure he’ll win one someday, that’s what I’m all for the “wait for the perfect movie”.

I’d still be happy if IB wins it, but that’d put in jeopardy his possibility of having his truly best film rewarded.

I thought it was brilliant, the way each chapter had a different feel.

Like, the first chapter is all business. It let’s you know how serious the danger is, and how sinister and evil the nazi’s are. You can feel what Monsier LaPedite is feeling, and you fear for him and for the Dreyfus’.

The second chapter, Inglourious Basterds, is more about setting up the mythology, and the Basterds are more like comic book super heroes. It brings you out of the tragedy you’ve just witnessed and gives you a sense of justice.

The third chapter is all about Shoshana’s life, and introduces her properly. It slowly and methodically takes you from the fun of the Basterds back into the tension and peril that the first chapter acquainted you with in the face of Landa.

The fourth chapter feeds off the third by again, giving you hope with a desire to drive the characters on to defeat the asshole Nazi’s. (though I will agree that the tavern scene was a little too tense for a little too long for me.) But you see the plan, as horrible as it is, being put together.

The final chapter is vindication. Every one of the characters converge, and justice is carried out. You walk away with a feeling substantiation. Every one of the characters got what they wanted.

It’s brilliant, and I think it should definitely win some awards. However, I’m not in the voting committee, so it probably will get shut out. Perhaps Christoph will get a win though.

I truly believe that Christoph Waltz will get nominated.

And probably and hopefully he’ll win.

[quote=“jonitapani”]I truly believe that Christoph Waltz will get nominated.

And probably and hopefully he’ll win.[/quote]

I really don’t see how he can lose. But I guess he could when you’re dealing with the Oscars.

[quote=“G”][quote=“jonitapani”]I truly believe that Christoph Waltz will get nominated.

And probably and hopefully he’ll win.[/quote]

I really don’t see how he can lose. But I guess he could when you’re dealing with the Oscars.[/quote]

Yep, I think same way too. But the Oscar doesn’t change my opinnion about Waltz’s performance on Basterds. And we all know, it’s fucking brilliant.

. . . the fix is in, inglourious will win the academy awards . . .

. . . and it deserves to. the film represents a glourious career comeback for q.t. after the weird/wonderful death proof. he gave the tarantino fan exactly what the tarantino fan wants – a quentin tarantino-made war movie. the performances he extracted from his players are amazing and it truly is an excellent film. the departed won a couple years back and if that film is a reference then inglourious should win easily since inglourious is WAY better than the departed (also a great film) . . .

exactly and the film is like a piece of American propaganda but in a very good and fun way. The Warner Brothers released pictures of that sort in the early to mid 1940s and this film has the same integrity and feel behind it. I see it that way, and that last scene where Landa gets marked and then that military soundtrack plays and you can’t help but to cheer, a lot of WW II veterans were laughing with great joy and applauding, I’ll never forget that.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]exactly and the film is like a piece of American propaganda but in a very good and fun way. The Warner Brothers released pictures of that sort in the early to mid 1940s and this film has the same integrity and feel behind it. I see it that way, and that last scene where Landa gets marked and then that military soundtrack plays and you can’t help but to cheer, a lot of WW II veterans were laughing with great joy and applauding, I’ll never forget that.[/quote]

Even though Landa is a villian, a “bad man”, you gotta love him 'cause he is so carismatic and genious character. I didn’t find Landa’s marking very funny or joyful, though he had it coming. The most of the Basterds on the other hand are kinda stupid but still very funny and loveable. Both, the Germans and the Americans, can be loved and hated in the film. They are all just people, it doesn’t matter which side they are on. Even though, it’s easier to hate a Nazi and cheer for Americans. But I, myself, didn’t find the Bear Jew scene so nice. Ok, I love the way it’s written, I love the scene, but I don’t really like the Bear Jew 'cause his yelling kinda destroys the mood that music makes before killing the Nazi. But I think it’s intentional.

[quote=“jonitapani”][quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]exactly and the film is like a piece of American propaganda but in a very good and fun way. The Warner Brothers released pictures of that sort in the early to mid 1940s and this film has the same integrity and feel behind it. I see it that way, and that last scene where Landa gets marked and then that military soundtrack plays and you can’t help but to cheer, a lot of WW II veterans were laughing with great joy and applauding, I’ll never forget that.[/quote]

Even though Landa is a villian, a “bad man”, you gotta love him 'cause he is so carismatic and genious character. I didn’t find Landa’s marking very funny or joyful, though he had it coming. The most of the Basterds on the other hand are kinda stupid but still very funny and loveable. Both, the Germans and the Americans, can be loved and hated in the film. They are all just people, it doesn’t matter which side they are on. Even though, it’s easier to hate a Nazi and cheer for Americans. But I, myself, didn’t find the Bear Jew scene so nice. Ok, I love the way it’s written, I love the scene, but I don’t really like the Bear Jew 'cause his yelling kinda destroys the mood that music makes before killing the Nazi. But I think it’s intentional.[/quote]

Well you just have to remind yourself that these people killed 1/3 of the Jewish poulation by starving them and torturing them…just horrid things. The Nazis were monsters and they had to be stopped in any way. Basterds were fighting fire with fire.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
Well you just have to remind yourself that these people killed 1/3 of the Jewish poulation by starving them and torturing them.[/quote]
Thats a good thing.

Did you just call the Holocaust a “good thing”?!

I think he did, as a joke.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]Did you just call the Holocaust a “good thing”?![/quote]
Just kidding in a serious way.

You are forgiven my son. Walk to the light of eternal salvation and away from the depths of perdition. :angel:

Ok getting back on topic if anyone thinks IB will sweep the Academy Awards then you’re crazy. I wouldnt be surprised if Invictus steals the show. It will be similar to when Forrest Gump won all the awards when we all knew The Shawshank Redemption was 10 times better.