Has Quentin Succumbed To Jonathan Demme Syndrome

… we’ve seen it a million times before: peter jackson, ron howard, joe dante, etc. …

… a director makes his name with bloody, graphic, exploitation material, then he gets picked up by hollywood and eventually the movies the director was known for morph into big, expensive, overblown, pretentious, high-brow art pieces. take jonathan demme for example. he got his start making movies for roger corman, grindhouse/drive-in shows like bloody mama and caged heat and then eventually he sells out and wins the top mainstream hollywood honor of best picture for silence of the lambs. is that were q.t. is now? has he sold out? or was tarantino already cradled in the arms of hollywood with reservoir dogs?

Though Silence of the Lambs is a masterpiece.

Recently, Tarantino’st style has changed a lot. I don’t call myself such a fan since his new style. I think everything changed with Kill Bill, he became way too aware of his style, and then alays wants to quote himself, reproduces formulas, it lacks of freshness, simplicity, subtility, sincerity. But he’s still a very good director, he sure can make perfect movies to enjoy them at theaters. Though I don’t feel like watching them over and over again as with his previous movies.

He’s getting better at filmmaking with every movie he makes. He makes the movies he wants to make, so he’s not a sell out.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]Though Silence of the Lambs is a masterpiece.

Recently, Tarantino’st style has changed a lot. I don’t call myself such a fan since his new style. I think everything changed with Kill Bill, he became way too aware of his style, and then alays wants to quote himself, reproduces formulas, it lacks of freshness, simplicity, subtility, sincerity. But he’s still a very good director, he sure can make perfect movies to enjoy them at theaters. Though I don’t feel like watching them over and over again as with his previous movies.[/quote]
… i think i was unfair in comparing tarantino to demme. too insulting. quentin’s a much better filmmaker than demme, himself not much higher up the ladder than joel schumacher …

… you’re right, tarantino is quoting himself in inglorious. but he has to. that’s what makes it so cool and that’s what makes inglourious a quentin tarantino picture: his well-defined style. the tarantino-punctuations like his credits and titles and his color schemes and the drawn-out scenes and the controlled performances and the brilliant dialogue. taking those elements away from tarantino would be like telling eddie van halen he can’t do two-handed tapping or he can’t use distortion in his guitar playing any longer …

… inglorious is pure brilliance that proves tarantino is a modern day cinemetic shakespeare …

Death Proof was the most “self-quote” movie he’s done and that is a bit embarassing. It’s enjoyable to find all the trademarks BUT I fear that tarantino does only that, and won’t ever be able to direct a totally new and different, original movie. He has to get rid of this over-consciousness of his work, his style, his fame to direct something really unexpected. Recently all his movies are pure Tarantino and then NOT unexpected.

[quote=“cyber-lili”] . . .I fear that tarantino does only that, and won’t ever be able to direct a totally new and different, original movie. He has to get rid of this over-consciousness of his work, his style, his fame to direct something really unexpected. Recently all his movies are pure Tarantino and then NOT unexpected.[/quote]
. . . you’re asking WAY too much of the great tarantino . . .

. . . he basically invented a new syle of filmmaking, the much-imitated tarantino genre, and you want him to invent another style altogether? isn’t what he offers enough? sure it is. in fact you can see in inglourious that he’s still perfecting his style . . . and he’s closer now than ever. in fact, i think he’s finally nailed it . . .

. . . let the other directors come up with something original and let tarantino himself handle the “tarantino” style. he does it so well . . .