My comments and questions about i.g

allo

great forum, first time poster.

i’ve seen i.g. three times, and feel like i have a good understanding of all the characters and events. so here are my (very minor) problems with the film:

1. i couldn’t make out what stiglitz says to wilcox while sharpening his knife in the basement. help?

2. what’s the point of shoshanna giving herself red stripes across her cheeks? in the next shot, they are gone. is this simply a mistake?

3. after aldo head-butts landa, landa has no bruise/mark/blood as evidence of the blow. is this simply a mistake?

4. after also putts handcuffs on landa, landa appears to be uncuffed while being “marked.” is this simply a mistake?

5. what was the meaning of the scene in which hitler is speaking in front of a fireplace?

6. i found the narration by samuel l jackson unnecessary. what he tells us could have been communicated by the characters themselves.

in any case, another mind-blowing movie by quentin. ;D

messy

[quote=“messy1349”]allo

great forum, first time poster.

i’ve seen i.g. three times, and feel like i have a good understanding of all the characters and events. so here are my (very minor) problems with the film:

1. i couldn’t make out what stiglitz says to wilcox while sharpening his knife in the basement. help?

2. what’s the point of shoshanna giving herself red stripes across her cheeks? in the next shot, they are gone. is this simply a mistake?

3. after aldo head-butts landa, landa has no bruise/mark/blood as evidence of the blow. is this simply a mistake?

4. after also putts handcuffs on landa, landa appears to be uncuffed while being “marked.” is this simply a mistake?

5. what was the meaning of the scene in which hitler is speaking in front of a fireplace?

6. i found the narration by samuel l jackson unnecessary. what he tells us could have been communicated by the characters themselves.

in any case, another mind-blowing movie by quentin. ;D

messy[/quote]

7. i’d like to know this too. it seemed like everyone else in the theater got it but me (they all chuckled)

8. she smeared it on her face. it’s just blush. the marks were symbolism for native american war paint

9. maybe

10. probably. he’s supposed to be cuffed

11. I can’t remember the part you’re thinking of. if it’s the part where he said “nein nein nein nein” it’s because the basterds keep murdering his troops and he’s frustrated.

12. I thought it was very well done. I liked having some narration there. would it really make sense if shoshanna told marcel “you know that nitrate film is very flammable” when they both know perfectly well that it is?

1. " I don’t seem calm to you?"

2. That’s the Apache motif that’s running through-out the film, one of the ways Tarantino tries to merge the western and WW2 genre’s. I forget the exact cut in the next shot you refer to but it’s possible she took it off before she went out to greet the people.

3. A minor mistake probably. Some redness would of been apt probably and by the way Landa grabbed his face after the blow it looked like his nose got hit so it might have subdued by the time they drove off to wherever they went

4. Didn’t notice this, might be a mistake.

5. Just Tarantino indulging the audience to actually see Hitler announce that he is attending the premiere. No importance except to further the film from actual fact because in real life Hitler would never have went to such a public event.

6. SLJ’s narration serves two purposes: 1. Continuing the trend of having SLJ in every Tarantino film after PF and 2. Contributes to the “legend/myth/fairytale” motif (which i personally love in the film so the narration works perfectly for me): have an omniscient figure tell bits of the tale.

[quote=“zeppelincheetah”]5. I can’t remember the part you’re thinking of. if it’s the part where he said “nein nein nein nein” it’s because the basterds keep murdering his troops and he’s frustrated.[/quote]
no, not that part. there’s a scene much later (right before opening night, iirc), that’s a close-up of hitler speaking, with a reddish glow on his face that appears to be the light of a fireplace.

[quote=“zeppelincheetah”]6. I thought it was very well done. I liked having some narration there. would it really make sense if shoshanna told marcel “you know that nitrate film is very flammable” when they both know perfectly well that it is?[/quote]
good point, but i still think qt could have communicated that information through his typically articulate dialog. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Stiglitz”]1. " I don’t seem calm to you?"[/quote]
ah, thank you. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Stiglitz”]2. That’s the Apache motif that’s running through-out the film, one of the ways Tarantino tries to merge the western and WW2 genre’s. I forget the exact cut in the next shot you refer to but it’s possible she took it off before she went out to greet the people.[/quote]
or maybe she then spread it around on her cheeks.

[quote=“Stiglitz”]3. A minor mistake probably. Some redness would of been apt probably and by the way Landa grabbed his face after the blow it looked like his nose got hit so it might have subdued by the time they drove off to wherever they went [/quote]
doesn’t seem like the sort of mistake qt would make. hell, it’s an opportunity to show blood. how could he pass that up? :wink:

[quote=“Stiglitz”]5. Just Tarantino indulging the audience to actually see Hitler announce that he is attending the premiere. No importance except to further the film from actual fact because in real life Hitler would never have went to such a public event. [/quote]
hm, ok.

[quote=“Stiglitz”]6. SLJ’s narration serves two purposes: 1. Continuing the trend of having SLJ in every Tarantino film after PF [/quote]
except death proof. :wink:

[quote=“Stiglitz”]and 2. Contributes to the “legend/myth/fairytale” motif (which i personally love in the film so the narration works perfectly for me): have an omniscient figure tell bits of the tale.[/quote]
i think it might’ve been more effective to have shoshanna and marcel simply discuss it.

anyway, thanks for the help, folks! ;D

messy

What’s “i.g.”? :stuck_out_tongue:

Inblorious Gasterds O0

thank you. :stuck_out_tongue: i keep calling it “i.g.” for some reason. ???

[quote]thank you. i keep calling it “i.g.” for some reason. [/quote]

The reason may be that you’ve downloaded the version of the script, since the name of the file was IG-script. Why that is so I don’t knwo either.

[quote=“Stiglitz”]Inblorious Gasterds O0[/quote]

Haha