QT's Reaction to Inglourious Basterds B.O. Success

It is official Inglourious Basterds is a box office success, and the weekend is still not over. In 2006, Death Proof did not do well financially and like all Tarantino movies it had mixed reviews. After the opening weekend, all the archives members waited patiently to hear from the man himself about how Death Proof was received. Even though it did not fair well with him it was still interesting to hear what he had to say. Since IB is doing very well I decided that there needed to be a topic about his reaction to the box office success.

I just saw that RottenTomatoes.com rated IB as 88% fresh!!! That is one of the best scores I’ve seen on that site. Users gave it 7.6/10 which I think is pretty fair considering QT flicks are judged harsher than normal…

http://www.thewrap.com/blog-entry/wrap-tarantino_5675

QT is getting retired in your dreams, man! ;D Even if the Weinsteins get bankrupcy, he’s always gonna find a studio to finance his movies. If Michael Mann, whose Collateral was his only huge recent hit, manages to finance his movies AND get the final cut, so can Quentin. And besides, if Hollywood doesn’t want him, he can still make movies in Europe where he’s still a huge star. It’s as if some people were dreaming of QT’s fall just because they don’t like what he did after PF or think he’s a thief…

I don’t know if it’s been linked elsewhere in this forum, but QT had a nice little anecdote related to this subject in his recent appearance on the Tavis Smiley show, which you can see here.

In this interview, QT talks about being depressed on the first Monday after Grindhouse came out, since it was already clear by that point that it was going to be a flop. He called some other directors for encouragement, and Steven Spielberg told him that although it’s difficult to deal with a flop, it also makes the next success you have even sweeter. QT says that while having another success was the furthest thing from his mind at the time, he kept it in his memory, and he was finally able to appreciate how true Spielberg’s advice was when IB’s first weekend box office turned out even better than anyone had expected.