Where do you rank IB in QT movies? also rank the chapters

Once Upon a Time... in Nazi-Occupied France. Quentin Tarantino's latest!
*G*
Fucking Professional

Re: Where do you rank IB in QT movies? also rank the chapters

Post by *G* » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:30 am

RatQuiRit wrote:Well I guess understanding french makes me get all the falseness she brings to the screen, I'd rather not understand it and enjoy her scenes more, believe me I do. But I'd rather stop discussing it cause I really don't want to be dissing the movie while I actually loved it. As I said, it took me 2 days to figure that ranking out and even know I'm having second thoughts and would rather rank IB the same level as Pulp Fiction, that should mean something to all of you...PULP FICTION, GUYS :D
Sorry, didn't knew you knew french, I only know some french, trying to learn. I was just speaking on the behalf of her faces not her acting in her lines. Sorry. ;)

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:35 am

No need to apologize...well, actually you can cause it hurt my feelings that you still don't know that I live in France! I feel like you were just pretending to care about me :'(

kidding :D but actually you're lucky, and I suppose you also didn't throw up a lil' bit on your mouth when Jacky Ido said those lines the first time we see him...I envy you american guys so much for that, ruined the scene for me, really :D
Ok, now I really stop talking about that, at the count of 3, no more talk about what I disliked in IB : 1, 2, 3...SNAP OUT OF IT!!!
"Grief is idiotic...I choose nothing: It's not better, but grief is a compromise. It's everything or nothing."

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:39 am

RatQuiRit wrote:No need to apologize...well, actually you can cause it hurt my feelings that you still don't know that I live in France! I feel like you were just pretending to care about me :'(

kidding :D but actually you're lucky, and I suppose you also didn't throw up a lil' bit on your mouth when Jacky Ido said those lines the first time we see him...I envy you american guys so much for that, ruined the scene for me, really :D
Ok, now I really stop talking about that, at the count of 3, no more talk about what I disliked in IB : 1, 2, 3...SNAP OUT OF IT!!!

Oh crap. lol, I'm sorry, I thought you were American or from Canada. lol. Sorry. It's cool though that you can feel the acting through a French actor and American actor, instead of stupid dubbers or you don't get the silly aspect of Pitt if you didn't know English. Pretty cool. I wish I can learn French faster. :D

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:46 am

Yes I'm glad I know english well enough to follow and understand most of english speaking scenes in movies. I still have some problems, for example I had a very hard time watching Dazed and Confused without subtitles, dunno why exactly.
but yeah, it's very cool.
Oh and that makes me think, did any of you guys who speak english but not german thought german sounded a lot like english at times in IB? The first time I watched it I almost felt like I didn't need to read the subtitles. When Hitler talks about hanging the Basterds on the Eiffel Tower...well I was reading the subs but it made so much sense! Amazing. I remember Geoi saying that about a french movie too. That's amazing to think we can be that much into a movie.
"Grief is idiotic...I choose nothing: It's not better, but grief is a compromise. It's everything or nothing."

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:53 am

RatQuiRit wrote:Yes I'm glad I know english well enough to follow and understand most of english speaking scenes in movies. I still have some problems, for example I had a very hard time watching Dazed and Confused without subtitles, dunno why exactly.
but yeah, it's very cool.
Oh and that makes me think, did any of you guys who speak english but not german thought german sounded a lot like english at times in IB? The first time I watched it I almost felt like I didn't need to read the subtitles. When Hitler talks about hanging the Basterds on the Eiffel Tower...well I was reading the subs but it made so much sense! Amazing. I remember Geoi saying that about a french movie too. That's amazing to think we can be that much into a movie.
Nope, didn't get that feeling, though some Italian at the end sounded American. ;D From Aldo.

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:08 am

*G* wrote:though some Italian at the end sounded American. ;D From Aldo.
haha indeed! That was amazingly funny. There are some very similar english/german words I caught while watching ib. Rats for a start, "the right" is something like "recht", foot is Fuß (I looked it up to be sure...and that weird symbol is pronounced as an "s"), and the list goes on but that's all I can think of at the moment.

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:10 am

RatQuiRit wrote:
*G* wrote:though some Italian at the end sounded American. ;D From Aldo.
haha indeed! That was amazingly funny. There are some very similar english/german words I caught while watching ib. Rats for a start, "the right" is something like "recht", foot is Fuß (I looked it up to be sure...and that weird symbol is pronounced as an "s"), and the list goes on but that's all I can think of at the moment.
Oh that is what you meant. Then yeah there were some like that. But alot of languages do that. Heck your French language has the same words as other languages like "Bien" (good) and Spanish has "Bien" (good/fine).

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:19 am

Spanish is Buen though :D (edit: oh no, shit, when I think of it, you also find Bien sometimes, sorry about that, I only started learning spanish 8 years ago ^^)

No but the general feel to german, although I know it's grammatically closer to latin/greek than American or even French, it still made a lot of sense, it was so weird. I wanna talk to Geoi about it as I perfectly remember her saying that about French few months ago.

*G*
Fucking Professional

Post by *G* » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:22 am

RatQuiRit wrote:Spanish is Buen though :D (edit: oh no, shit, when I think of it, you also find Bien sometimes, sorry about that, I only started learning spanish 8 years ago ^^)

No but the general feel to german, although I know it's grammatically closer to latin/greek than American or even French, it still made a lot of sense, it was so weird. I wanna talk to Geoi about it as I perfectly remember her saying that about French few months ago.

haha, sorry for the Spanish mis-spell, I failed that class, though I slacked off in that class. I like the french language though (as well as their films, as you can tell) and been trying to learn the language myself.

zeppelincheetah
Hard Drinker

Post by zeppelincheetah » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:57 am

Actually English and German are very closely related. So it shouldn't be too surprising that sometimes it sounds like English. To me Italian and Spanish sound very similar. I took Spanish in High School and College and italian's "23" and "24" are IDENTICAL to Spanish "23" and "24". Saw it a second time today. My ranking is still the same. Really to me it's more like this though:

1 Pulp Fiction/Kill Bill/Inglourious Basterds
4 Jackie Brown
5 Reservoir Dogs/Death Proof

I've been going back and forth with Pulp and Kill Bill for years, and I think i'll feel the same about Inglourious Basterds. Depends on my mood. Sometimes I'll say it's the best and other times I'll say it's third best.

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:03 am

Yes, Spanish and Italian sound alike. The conjugations are a lot similar too (and to french also). So when you have the grammar of one of the 3, it's pretty easy to get into the others. Having said that, it's still pretty damn difficult since I'm french, and have a hard time speaking Spanish even though, as I said, I've been studying it for 8 years now (and lived for 1 month in Madrid, I rocked at spanish when I left, but I forgot everything, and it was in August last year...). So my priority is to learn Italian, it's a beautiful language except when Raine speaks it :D

Ordell Rodriguez
Fucking Professional

Post by Ordell Rodriguez » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:28 am

RatQuiRit wrote:Yeah but can't you see how off her acting is? It didn't bother me too much until the 3rd watch. I think I'm not gonna see it again until it comes off on DVD, one more time and I would totally hate the stuff I just listed.
I was actually very pleased with it. I imagined the only people in the movie that could fuck up were her or Roth and Omar. None of them did as far as I'm concerned. Happy to be wrong. I thought her performance was very interesting, very understated until she had to perform or put on an act. I saw a tremendous and beautiful difference in the way she acted toward different people (and uniforms). She was a bad mother fucker. Then she shoots someone and you get some humanity. Great.

But then again it just might be me blinded by the immense fucking crush I've developed over her ;D

Cpt tonyanthony
Fucking Professional

Post by Cpt tonyanthony » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:36 pm

*G* wrote:
RatQuiRit wrote:Well I guess understanding french makes me get all the falseness she brings to the screen, I'd rather not understand it and enjoy her scenes more, believe me I do. But I'd rather stop discussing it cause I really don't want to be dissing the movie while I actually loved it. As I said, it took me 2 days to figure that ranking out and even know I'm having second thoughts and would rather rank IB the same level as Pulp Fiction, that should mean something to all of you...PULP FICTION, GUYS :D
Sorry, didn't knew you knew french, I only know some french, trying to learn. I was just speaking on the behalf of her faces not her acting in her lines. Sorry. ;)

actually, more than the French actors (the black guy is terrible), the problem is the translation. the French dialogs between shoshanna and Marcel sound like subtitles being read out loud. terrible.

Kinick
Fucking Professional

Post by Kinick » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:19 pm

RatQuiRit wrote:Yeah but can't you see how off her acting is? It didn't bother me too much until the 3rd watch. I think I'm not gonna see it again until it comes off on DVD, one more time and I would totally hate the stuff I just listed.
I can never notice bad acting unless it's outright terrible...same with good acting. I'd never know who to give the Oscar to for instance, only in very rare instances. So I can't say it was her acting, but to me the movie drags when either Landa or the Basterds are not on screen. Hence, I really can't see me sitting through German Night in Paris many more times in full, which incidentally seems to be at the bottom of everyones' chapter ranks, if for nothing more than the others being slightly more interesting/enjoyable. However, like you, the scenes I do like, I like a great deal; the opening, Hugo Stiglitz/Basterds in action, La Loiusiane [once it gets going], Putting Out Fire, I-talion scene, Shosanna/Fredrick's demise, the ending, etc. are what I can't wait to see on DVD again. It's just the structure and pacing issues which bring it down for me and will make it hard to sit the whole way through without skipping a couple of scenes here and there to get to my favourite parts.

ellistrellis
Cowardly Lion

Post by ellistrellis » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:18 pm

Not 100% on this list:

1. Kill Bill Vol. 2
2. Pulp Fiction
3. Kill Bill Vol. 1
4. Inglourious Basterds
5. Jackie Brown
6. Reservoir Dogs
7. Death Proof

1. Chapter 5: Revenge of the Giant Face
2. Chapter 1: Once Upon a Time in Nazi-Occupied France
3. Chapter 4: Operation Kino
4. Chapter 2: Inglourious

Inglourious Basterds in my opinion has the best music of all his movies by far though.

Stiglitz
Real McCoy

Post by Stiglitz » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:04 pm

Definitely not a 100% on this one yet but

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Jackie Brown
3. Inglourious Basterds
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Kill Bill [it's one film for me]
6. Death Proof

and as far as chapters in IB are concerned, these are more concrete than the above list

1. Once Upon A Time...
2. Operation Kino
3. Inglourious Basterds
4. Revenge of the Giant Face
5. German Night in Paris

Gotta see the film again in order to judge if i maybe over-estimated it in the list. And i need to see his other films again, all of them.

Movie_Villain
Real McCoy

Post by Movie_Villain » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:26 pm

Im splitting Kill Bill up into two movies here

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Kill Bill Vol. 1
3. Reservoir Dogs
4. Inglourious Basterds
5. Kill Bill Vol. 2
6. Death Proof
7. Jackie Brown

Chapters in I.B.

1. Operation Kino
2. Once Upon a Time in Nazi Occupied France
3. The Inglourious Basterds
4. (tie) Revenge of the Giant Face & German Night in Paris..I cant decide which is better

Bloomy92
Cowardly Lion

Post by Bloomy92 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:48 am

Now that ive seen it a second time its clear to me that this is my favorite movie now

1.Inglourious Basterds
2.Pulp Fiction
3.Reservoir Dogs
4.Kill Bill
5.Jackie Brown
6.Death Proof

1.Once Upon A Time....In Nazi Occupied France
2.Operation Kino
3.Revenge Of The Giant Face
4.Inglourious Basterds
5.A German Night In Paris

young_master
Hard Drinker

Post by young_master » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:44 pm

I saw this Masterpiece last night and I was blown away!!! I stayed away from all spoilers and I'm glad I did. I read the KB script before it came out and I must say that the movie is more enjoyable going in fresh.

I cannot rank this movie against other QT movies. Each one is a masterpiece in its own right (just like Hanzo sword). I will say that the 2 I like least are Jackie (had great individual scenes but as a whole movie it was meh for me) and DP.

All 5 chapters were great but I thought the first half of Chapter 3 dragged on a tad.

Chapter 1 reminded of OUATITW and it was so suspenseful! Funny to see Mathilda in the tavern scene 3 years later. Did the farmers other 2 daughters appear again?

I heard that there was not enough action in this movie and I think that is BS. 4 of the 5 chapters had action sequences.

Can anyone let me know how the Theatrical release was different from the Cannes cut? People seem to be giving much better reviews about this version.

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:04 pm

young_master wrote:
Chapter 1 reminded of OUATITW and it was so suspenseful! Funny to see Mathilda in the tavern scene 3 years later. Did the farmers other 2 daughters appear again?
I did not notice it was the same girl in La Taverne, thanks for pointing it out! So, obviously I wouldn't have had noticed if the other girls appeared again. Although, the girl who shuts the door is the cutest thing in the whole movie, no doubt :p
And yes, it purposely looks like OUATITW, and also the beginning of The Good The Bad And The Ugly when the Bad comes to see that farmer when he's eating.
young_master wrote:
I heard that there was not enough action in this movie and I think that is BS. 4 of the 5 chapters had action sequences.
I agree. And why should it matter if there is action or not? Jackie Brown has no action scenes per say. Does it makes it not good? Not at all. That kind of people opinions are worthless to me. They just don't like cinema. If they get their kick watching Transformers or 2012, good for them. They should know Tarantino is no Emmerich by now.
young_master wrote:
Can anyone let me know how the Theatrical release was different from the Cannes cut? People seem to be giving much better reviews about this version.
The Theatrical release is something like 7 minutes shorter. I don't really know what QT cut though. And it seems that it's not that different all together, it's just that people who reviewed it at Cannes just didn't wanna sit through a movie for almost 3 hours. I'm not the one who said that first in here, I think tonyanthony confirmed that one of his friends who was in the Cannes showing had said that ^^

Kinick
Fucking Professional

Post by Kinick » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:24 pm

RatQuiRit wrote:
young_master wrote: The Theatrical release is something like 7 minutes shorter. I don't really know what QT cut though. And it seems that it's not that different all together, it's just that people who reviewed it at Cannes just didn't wanna sit through a movie for almost 3 hours. I'm not the one who said that first in here, I think tonyanthony confirmed that one of his friends who was in the Cannes showing had said that ^^
The Cannes cut was actually one minute shorter than the theatrical release. I think he did the 10 minutes or so of trimming just before the Cannes premiere. The scene just before La Louisiane with Fassbender rendezvousing with the Batserds was the only major thing added after Cannes...to fit that in he trimmed a few lines here and there I believe, leaving it only one minute longer.

DerJudenJager
Cowardly Lion

Post by DerJudenJager » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Inglourious Baterds
Reservoir Dogs
Pulp Fiction
Kill Bill
Jackie Brown
Death Proof

RatQuiRit
Fucking Professional

Post by RatQuiRit » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:55 pm

Kinick wrote:
RatQuiRit wrote: The Theatrical release is something like 7 minutes shorter. I don't really know what QT cut though. And it seems that it's not that different all together, it's just that people who reviewed it at Cannes just didn't wanna sit through a movie for almost 3 hours. I'm not the one who said that first in here, I think tonyanthony confirmed that one of his friends who was in the Cannes showing had said that ^^
The Cannes cut was actually one minute shorter than the theatrical release. I think he did the 10 minutes or so of trimming just before the Cannes premiere. The scene just before La Louisiane with Fassbender rendezvousing with the Batserds was the only major thing added after Cannes...to fit that in he trimmed a few lines here and there I believe, leaving it only one minute longer.
Oh, ok my bad. I was sure I read that somewhere but I believe your word :>

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Seen the movie now for the third time, and I feel comfortable giving my chapters ranking:

1. REVENGE OF THE GIANT FACE
2. Once upon a time... in Nazi-occupied France
3. INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS
4. A German Night in Paris
5. OPERATION KINO

PFC Baelin Utivich
Real McCoy

Post by PFC Baelin Utivich » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:06 pm

1.Inglourious Basterds/Pulp Fiction (i need to see one right after another to determine the tie break)
2.Tie Breaker loser
3.Kill Bill 1.
4.Kill Bill 2.
5.Reservoir Dogs.
6.Jackie Brown
7.Death Proof

-------

(need I remind all of you that this next part is not fair since it is all done beautifully. I'm not even sure if this is right, i feel bad putting one in front of the other, but if i switch then i feel bad for the one that got swtiched)

1.Inglourious Basterds
2.Operation Kino
3. Revenge of the Giant Face
4. Once Upon a Time...
5. A German Night In Paris

IncredibleEv
Cowardly Lion

Post by IncredibleEv » Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:08 pm

i can't rank his movies right now, I still need to see Jackie Brown and Kill Bill again as its been a while, but IB is definitely top 3 and the chapters go

1. Revenge of Giant Face/Once Upon a Time...
3. Operation Kino
4. Inglourious Basterds
5. German Night in Paris

Ify
Fucking Professional

Post by Ify » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:03 pm

You are all spelling the title of the second chapter wrong :P

Col. Crazy Kenneth
Fucking Professional

Post by Col. Crazy Kenneth » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:19 pm

Ify wrote:You are all spelling the title of the second chapter wrong :P
I think I am the only one who has them completely correct, people seem to not mind that Quentin chose to put 3 of the 5 chapter titles in capital letters.

Kinick
Fucking Professional

Post by Kinick » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:50 pm

Col. Crazy Kenneth wrote:
Ify wrote:You are all spelling the title of the second chapter wrong :P
I think I am the only one who has them completely correct, people seem to not mind that Quentin chose to put 3 of the 5 chapter titles in capital letters.
Quentin probably didn't take notice to that himself, knowing how quickly this thing was typed up. For the second chapter title he "forgets" to misspell 'Inglorious'...artistic flourish, eh Quentin? :P

NonStop
Basterd

Post by NonStop » Sat Aug 29, 2009 12:52 am

Top 4 interchangable:

Pulp Fiction - 10/10
Reservoir Dogs - 10/10
Kill Bill (Both Volumes) - 10/10
Inglourious Basterds - 10/10
Jackie Brown - 8/10
Death Proof - 6/10

I loved all those chapters.