Seen Inglourious Basterds? Post Here (Spoilers Within)

loved it! cant wait to see it again!! as promised chris waltz was great in it. liguistic genius. enjoyed all scenes, i didnt find any actors below tarantinos par including eli and mike myers. this was the first showing in ireland today so if anyone has seen it lets discuss because im talking to talk about this great great movie

I’ve seen it.

It was good.

just good?

Yeah what’s up with that?

[quote=“F.W.”]
I’ve seen it.

It was good.
[/quote]

That was a brilliant review, you should be a film critic.

[size=100][/size]Fantastic, last minute booked to watch at local cinema 5.30 viewing. Brilliant from start to finish we were a captive audience. No film director touches Quentin Tarantinos world and his amazing imagination. Helen Laughton.

[quote=“SharpestLives16”]
That was a brilliant review, you should be a film critic.
[/quote]

My review is in the Track Your Film topic.

I’ve been writing at length about it since wednesday. You wanna talk about, bring up a topic, give me a question but until then I’ll keep it brief.

Just got back from seeing it. Absolutely amazing. I have to admit, I had my doubts after Death Proof, but they were shattered. 10/10

I’ve just seen it, and I seriously do not know what to think. This is such a weird situation to be in, but I had very mixed reactions to everything that happened on screen. As soon as I came out of the cinema, I was thinking about watching it again tomorrow, and I may still do. It didn’t help that I needed a piss through all the film, but that was more psychological than physical (if that makes sense). I don’t want to give any opinions on it at this point. I really need to think about it.

[quote=“Ify”]
I’ve just seen it, and I seriously do not know what to think. This is such a weird situation to be in, but I had very mixed reactions to everything that happened on screen. As soon as I came out of the cinema, I was thinking about watching it again tomorrow, and I may still do. It didn’t help that I needed a piss through all the film, but that was more psychological than physical (if that makes sense). I don’t want to give any opinions on it at this point. I really need to think about it.
[/quote]

The only thing that took me a while to get was how situations changed drastically, to being very funny to super tense. But that’s a good thing, really displayed QT’s prowess in my opinion.

[quote=“F.W.”]

My review is in the Track Your Film topic.

I’ve been writing at length about it since wednesday. You wanna talk about, bring up a topic, give me a question but until then I’ll keep it brief.
[/quote]

Went to check it out expecting a huge ass review but instead…pretty minimal.

What was your favorite part? How does it compare to all his other films (what ratings did you give his other films?) You think Waltz deserves an Oscar? Was Brad Pitt funny or borderline annoying? Was Eli Roth all right? What was the major flaw?

Ok, I’m going to say some things while they’re fresh in my mind. Just bullet point form:

• Very different to any of his other films.

• Did not see a trunk shot, haha

• The clip “Hans Landa” that popped up on You Tube, had dialogue I loved but which wasn’t in the film. I was quite disappointed by that.

• I would have liked a more kick arse opening scene.

• I expected this film to be really funny based on the reviews I’ve read. But It surprised me quite a bit just how serious this film actually is. I actually wanted a serious film from QT, I’m not saying it’s completely serious, but it was definitely more serious than it has been made out.

• I thought the Pitt/Italian scene was absolutely hilarious

• I felt the pacing of the film was a bit inconsistent. It did seem rushed at times.

• Christophe Waltz was amazing in this.

• It was a bit strange how he used 2 tunes from Kill Bill again in this film as well as some other aspects (like the effect when he introduces a character)

• The direction and camera placement/movement was very different a lot of the times, to what we have seen from QT so far.

• The violence/gore was very well done. It was hard to watch, but in a good way.

• The scene in the cinema at the end ranks up there as one of the greatest QT scenes.

• It was cool to hear Samuel L Jackson and Harvey Keitel in there. Their voices are very distinct.

Interesting to hear about the re-use of Kill Bill music. Which tunes, exactly?

[quote=“Ify”]

• It was cool to hear Samuel L Jackson and Harvey Keitel in there. Their voices are very distinct.
    [/quote]

I stayed away from spoilers, but I’m jazzed to hear that Harv appears!

[quote=“Ify”]

• The clip “Hans Landa” that popped up on You Tube, had dialogue I loved but which wasn’t in the film. I was quite disappointed by that.
    [/quote]

I had heard that that bit of dialogue was cut out…couldn’t believe that he would choose that to trim. I thought it was great in that clip.

[quote=“Laydback”]
Interesting to hear about the re-use of Kill Bill music. Which tunes, exactly?

I stayed away from spoilers, but I’m jazzed to hear that Harv appears!
[/quote]

The one in this clip:

<LINK_TEXT text=“- YouTube … annel_page”>Inglorious Bastards - "Hans Landa" - YouTube</LINK_TEXT>

and I can’t believe I’ve forgotten the other tune (I’m really tired). If I hear it I’ll know. Anybody care to help out?

I realised that there is quite a bit of footage in the trailers that doesn’t actually appear in the film. Also, I only read a bit of the script when it leaked, but I read one section involving feet, I mentioned it here when the subject of feet in IB came up, but I didn’t see that in the film either. He has cut quite a bit.

I watched in a small-ish room, it was an advanced screening obviously, so there were no adverts or trailers before the film. But the room was pretty much packed. I went to the very first showing of a very popular cinema in this area. I was still surprised to see so many people.

I wish I never listened to the people that claimed this to be like Kill Bill in WWII, because it isn’t like that AT ALL. It’s very different to Kill Bill. Also, although there are some very comical parts, I would say this is quite a mature Tarantino. The dialogue wasn’t as witty, but it was very serious and to the point. You can tell QT had great discipline when writing (the one-finger typewriter anectode) and it shows. So although it’s not as enjoyable as in Pulp Fiction for example, it’s still very good.

The action scenes were incredible. He’s really evolved, and is confident enough with his ability to shoot action scenes now. You’ll see what I mean when you watch it. I don’t want to spoil too much here.

His use of music was also very different to his past films. I don’t mean the actual music itself, but how it stops and starts.

QT didn’t really stick with formula here. Like DP, although it wasn’t like any other QT film, it still felt like a QT film.

EDIT: I think the second tune was the one that plays after The Bride sticks her sword in that one crazy 88 member, and then walks around with it still in lodged in his body. It’s like suspenseful sounding music, it’s the best way I can describe it. I’m too tired to even think properly :frowning:

[quote=“Kinick”]
I had heard that that bit of dialogue was cut out…couldn’t believe that he would choose that to trim. I thought it was great in that clip.
[/quote]

Well I kept waiting for that bit to come and it never did, so naturally I was disappointed. That whole scene I thought was quite unlike anything QT has done before. It was very serious and quite unnerving (sp?). You didn’t know where things were headed. It’s a very adequate opening scene really, as the film was generally like that as well as many other set-pieced scenes. Landa especially, he’s quite complex, but very unpredictable too. Definitely one of the greatest QT characters

How the fuck have any of you seen it? It’s not out for wide release yet.

Thanks for all the reactions, Iff. I remembered that youtube clip and thought that music was just supposed to be a temp track for that scene, but it’s actually in the movie(?!?)

I guess “L’arena” now joins “Strawberry Letter #23” for repeated music in QT films.

It’s also good to hear how QT’s wings continue to spread in directing fine action sequences. Could his work involving car-chases compete with gun-play sequences? It sure sounds like it.

Sad to hear there’s no trunk shot :frowning:

[quote=“Laydback”]
Thanks for all the reactions, Iff. I remembered that youtube clip and thought that music was just supposed to be a temp track for that scene, but it’s actually in the movie(?!?)

I guess “L’arena” now joins “Strawberry Letter #23” for repeated music in QT films.

It’s also good to hear how QT’s wings continue to spread in directing fine action sequences. Could his work involving car-chases compete with gun-play sequences? It sure sounds like it.
[/quote]

I’ve edited my earlier post if oyu’re interested ^^

Well I was talking with my brother before the film about how Scorsese seems to have something new in each of his films, how he’s always adapting some aspect of his filmmaking. I mentioned the shoot-out scene involving the cars towards the end of The Departed as an example of how Scorsese is able to evolve his style, yet maintain his high quality. Well in Inglourious Basterds, I know there aren’t many action sequences, but there are 2 scenes in particular which are VERY well done. I actually had my mouth wide open when they happened. Very powerful scenes.

I really need to watch this again before I can say for certain what I think of this film and what rating I would give it. I don’t think I will be able to go tomorrow due to work. I need to sleep now actually, but I can’t stop thinking about IB. My mind is racing, but I have some conflicting feelings. They won’t be resolved until I watch the film again.