Seen Inglourious Basterds? Post Here (Spoilers Within)

Once Upon a Time... in Nazi-Occupied France. Quentin Tarantino's latest!
savage_henry
Hard Drinker

Re: Seen Inglourious Basterds? Post Here (Spoilers Within)

Post by savage_henry » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:45 pm

I thought it was pretty good and cant wait to see it the second time when im sure ill like it better... but i couldnt help but feel it had been rushed.

Its like that scene in the tavern, youre watching the nazis play that word game and i just felt 'oh ok, so theyre playing a game on a night off', when presumably the point was that it was supposed to be really funny, like 'wow, how fucked up, killer sadist nazis playing a drinking game!' And i think with more time - he had rushed it for cannes, after all - things like that would have had more attention to detail which was lacking in this movie shot wise, compared to his others. I mean the detail in the framing and shots of 'death proof' are what make the extra long girl chatter really good; all the little nuances his camera picks up. i suppose thats why the classic QT close ups of the cream dessert thing seemed so out of place, that kind of detail was lacking elsewhere here.

also, didnt tarantino say, after he had started filming, that one whole chapter would be filmed in black and white? i think it was the 3rd chapter, which would have been great, and in fact, i think the whole movie wouldve been better B & W up to the final cinema burning, it would have made the comedy make more sense as all the more comic moments seem to have the feel of those old movies, and seem a bit unnatural / stifled in colour.

did anyone here, seb maybe, catch basterds at cannes? i wonder if QT picked up the idea for the scribbles (title card, pointing out the key nazis at the premiere) from lars von trier's 'anti-christ' which also had these almost childish scrawlings punctuating an otherwise heavily cinematic movie.

all in all i thought IB was really entertaining, and I still left feeling like i had seen something special, that this was REAL cinema, by a film maker who cares about the medium - but that with more time it really couldve been his masterpiece.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:15 pm

Sorry, I'm too lazy to read everybody's commentaries on the movie, I'll do it later.

I just saw the movie yesterday for the first time. First of all, I have to admit I wasn't so excited about it, not that I doubted it could have been bad but I didn't feel the excitement I could have waiting for his previous flicks and Cannes reviews were not all good. But in the end, cause I didn't expect too much, I loved it. A lot of more research and depth as in Death Proof, which I love but more as a pure cinematic pleasure. There are less chitchat in Inglourious Basterds (though the dialogues of IB could have been better), more characters developments (clearly the best part for me). The end was perfect, the suspense from the La Louisiane scene was awesome too, the scene with Lande and the French farmer first speaking in english to fool the jewish was perfect.

German actors and american ones were all great. AS a French, I can unfortunately notice that French actors wasn'"t as great. Most of them were shallow. And Mélanie Laurent, she wasn't that good, at least she's saved cause she has a lot of class (but doesn't look femme fatale to me). Christopher Waltz was obviously the best of all, Diane Krüger was perfect too (and usually I think she's not such a good actress), Daniel Brühl too, Brad Pitt in his very exagerated acting was cool and surprise, Eli Roth had a lot of classe. And I have to admit I was among those who were not very happy to hear he was part of the movie.

Then I come to the negative parts. They didn't ruin the movie for me but I still noticed them.

- The music was less powerful than in his other movies. The opening music was perfect though. But the David Bowie, didn't like it. And there wasn't much "lyrics tracks", which was not what I expected.

- I love QT handwriting for the title, which was seen again on a rigle of the basterds. But I didn't like that they chose that much different fonts to write the opening credits. I know I'm picky, ahah.

- I was frustrated not to see more of the basterds, the Aldo Raine commando. I escaped this section most of the time before seeing the movie, so I didn't know that this part was that short. At least I was aware that Maggie Cheung wasn't in the movie in the end, neither Samuel Jackson voice-over.

- The editing was VERY rough sometimes. For me, it's a huge mistake cause a lot of cuts were NOT smooth at all, always wrong. It seems like they did the editing in a rush, which could be expected for Cannes but not after the festival cause they could work again on the editing flaws. Then it seems like they either made too mistake in the shooting and couldn't save their shots and had to do rough cuts between two shots, or it seems like they cut too much shots in the final editing that they're like holes. Maybe some of you didn't notice it, but it bothered me a lot.

Alright, I'll write more later on the movie. I still have to see it a second time.

Has everybody on this forum seen it already ? Or was it among the last ones to see it ? Ahah.

EJT501
Cowardly Lion

Post by EJT501 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:49 pm

my all time favorite scene is when the movie screen burns up, and the laughing, and the smoke, with the face projected.

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:47 am

Okay, nobody replies to my post :'(

Just kidding. I'm interesting in F.W. and Ify pov on the movie. Could you guys post me the direct link to your reviews. I'm too lazy to look for them and I just read this whole topic in a row. Too much in a short time.

Henry Chinaski
Hard Drinker

Post by Henry Chinaski » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:40 am

Col. Crazy Kenneth wrote:I'm glad to hear that Basterds did good BO on the first day in the US
Maybe it's gonna stop all the journalist thing about Tarantino the one shot guy (i.e. the guy who made only one huge hit, Pulp Fiction), the guy desperately looking for a comeback in the English-speaking world. Because if you read some newspapers, they talked about Kill Bill like it had been a flop, just because it didn't make as much as Pulp Fiction. Maybe he found the movie that's gonna take out of its forehead the "Pulp Fiction" sticker.

NonStop
Basterd

Post by NonStop » Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:15 pm

Saw it again today, it was even better the 2nd time. For me its completely flawless; 10/10

QTRocks
Kiddo

Post by QTRocks » Sat Aug 29, 2009 10:02 am

I have a question: is the spaghetti western RED FILTER of stiglitz still in the film?
It is at the la louisiane scene...

nonsse
Hard Drinker

Post by nonsse » Fri Sep 04, 2009 6:24 pm

Finally, I saw Inglourious Basterds with my very own eyes and in a cinema, being also my first time seeing a Tarantino movie at a cinema which increased my suspense even more. I don't know where to start, I'm still so in aflutter. Like Aldo said "This might be my masterpiece.", that is true. This is QT's masterpiece in my opinion. Truly hilarious, thrilling and at the same time slightly serious. What more you want from a great movie?

I truly loved every chapter in the movie, there was no bad chapter. The suspense increased all the while as the movie proceeded forth. I was tense all the time, though I had read the script prior. Albeit I had a terrible need to go pee about in the middle of the movie, I was already intended to go to the bathroom, but decided to stay. Awhile after that, I forgot the need of pee and was into the movie totally again. THAT is a mark of a good movie, indeed.

Stunner to me, my two friends I went with loved it also, albeit they don't usually like dialogue-based movies at all. I was so happy that they loved it too and the audience apparently did also, there was a half minute applause for the movie and the theater was almost full. Few idiots walked out in the middle of the movie, one during the first chapter.

I can't wait to see it again, maybe next week. It will be fascinating to see how my dad and mom will like this. My dad loves all stuff associated to WII, but doesn't like Tarantino for some reason. My mom's like a contrast, she doesn't like war movies, but loves Tarantino.

jonitapani
Real McCoy

Post by jonitapani » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:28 am

I dunno what to say. Maybe I'll have to wait to say something smart about the movie.
Saw it yeasterday, and man, all I can say - it was absolutelly great.
The structure was perfect.

My head is totally empty. I'm speechles.
Gotta see it again.
Maybe then I can say something about the movie.

Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional

Post by Seth_Gecko » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:25 pm

First saw it in London about two weeks ago. Yesterday for the second time in my own home theatre.

Let me first off state that I had a lot of fun watching it. Time really flies and there isn't a moment where you aren't glued to the screen. Loved the characters, even digged ELi Roth alot.

The ending scene with the theatre going up in flames was amazing. The whole movie kinda works around getting pleasure out of things which feel rather like you shouldn't have any pleasure seeing it. Which is QT's finest trademark I think. I was confused getting a rush out of seeing these people I loved to hate, hated to love, trapped like rats in a burning Titanic of unescapable doom.

Christoph Waltz as Hans Landa was ab fab. A real bastard you couldn't help but fall in love with do to his quirky character.

Some things I didn't as much enjoyed as I normally do with a QT movie:

- The music: It was there, enjoyable, but didn't blend in as much with the movie itself. Like in the ending of Death Proof, where 'Chick Habit' just fits in a strangely perfect way into what goes on on the screen. Or 'Stuck in the middle with you' or 'Miserlou' or 'Bang Bang' or ... well you get the point. I kinda missed a musical note that hit as hard as and as natural as the onscreen happenings and the overall feel of the movie.

- Predictability of the outlay: A lot of the time it all felt a bit too simple for QT standards. You didn't get hit as much by surprice by the way it was build up. It was all: 1) Tension -> 2) easing into the scene and the characters -> 3) and then more or less a bang in which you have to take the violence.

Linear: Allthough it worked, It would've been fun if the chapters were mixed up a bit. But this is more a matter of taste.

I have lots more to say, but I will just leave it at this for now :angel:

cyber-lili
Fucking Professional

Post by cyber-lili » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:07 pm

Don't know if you're read my review too, Seth, but I felt exactly the same. Kinda mixed. It was a lot of fun and in the same time if you think about it, it wasn't perfect either.

Seth_Gecko
Fucking Professional

Post by Seth_Gecko » Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:49 pm

I am a bit lazy and a bit confused still by the new forum outlook, so I just read your review! I totally agree with your points too. Especially on the music bit.

The opening song with bits of 'Fur Elise' was, although corny, a perfect way of saying:

"Hey, I can take high culture/ a World War II theme and make it into this mix of my own personal delight. Just like Beethoven's bits can be destroyed in pop-culture so much that you kinda hate it for excisting nowadays I can make a movie about pop-cultural World War II and you just have to deal with it, ok?"

Quentin Tarantino
Cowardly Lion

How Did you Found " INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS"??

Post by Quentin Tarantino » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:04 pm

hi all i am Q.T Big Fan.....

I watched the movie 2 days a go and there is a lot of beautiful since in it , too bad that "
Hugo Stiglitz"This good mother fucker Bastard My favorite character Died when i expect him to stay a live !The End of " Hans Landa ","Really hard & Good Roll" wasn't suitable
they should Kill this Nazi ,Prad Pitt was funny ,there is alot of talking in this Movie for real i thought it better than this .

with all respect ....

Regards

Quentin Tarantino ;)

"A writer should have this little voice inside of you saying, Tell the truth. Reveal a few secrets here." - QT

Movie_Villain
Real McCoy

Post by Movie_Villain » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:17 am

Are you THE Quentin Tarantino? The greatest modern filmmaker Quentin Tarantino? Q mothafuckin T???!!

welcome by the way

Mr.Pink

Post by Mr.Pink » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:24 am

Movie_Villain wrote:Are you THE Quentin Tarantino? The greatest modern filmmaker Quentin Tarantino? Q mothafuckin T???!!

welcome by the way
I highly doubt that.

Quentin Tarantino
Cowardly Lion

Post by Quentin Tarantino » Thu Oct 01, 2009 8:13 pm

And what that mean??Mr.Pink?
"A writer should have this little voice inside of you saying, Tell the truth. Reveal a few secrets here." - QT

VincentVercetti
Cowardly Lion

Post by VincentVercetti » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:59 am

I have just seen the film and I gotta say...
I LOVED IT ! O0
It was a great picture, it exceeded my expectatives and I know I was waiting for a lot out of this movie but this was worth even the wait and heck what a long wait it was to see it ! it was totally worth it thanks QT for such an awesome movie, definetely one of my new faves
cant wait to see it again :D !

noolsy
Cowardly Lion

Post by noolsy » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:40 am

So. Inglourious Basterds was really my first Tarantino flick, which I reluctantly agreed to watch with a roommate about a month ago. I don't think she knew what she was getting us into... and I certainly didn't. Maybe it's precisely because I was expecting nothing more than a grossly gratuitous bloodfest that I was utterly blown away by the two hours that followed. I couldn't even believe this was the same Tarantino who made the Kill Bill I couldn't understand years earlier. Perhaps I'm the one who's changed since that first disappointing viewing -- but I can't even begin to explain how much I enjoyed IB. It converted me to QT films over and over.

It was so incredibly brilliant. I don't know very much about films, so I'm afraid I'll sound like an idiot, but: that post-modern self-reflexive sensibility, that knowing humor, the impeccably executed tension (oh, the tension! it's a wonder I didn't die of a twenty heart attacks and a brain aneurysm) -- such tension that could only be released in almost-relieving explosions of ultraviolence. The horror of realizing that, suddenly, from our safe, dark seats in the theater, we are thrust into the film, we are the German audience laughing, we are the German audience on fire...!!! The concept of the "masterpiece" itself toyed with in a sickeningly playful way, as Tarantino dishes to us his own most impossibly personable, unKosher pig -- enough for even Samuel L. Jackson to acceptably eat (re: Pulp Fiction, which I watched solely because I enjoyed IB so much).

Not even going to start on the acting/characters...!!! -- OKAY, just one: Col. Hans "My Pipe Is Bigger Than Yours" Landa. ENOUGH SAID.

I haven't seen all of his films properly yet (though I'm on my way with Reservoir Dogs and PF under my belt -- rewatching Kill Bills next) -- so I can't say whether or not this is Tarantino's best writing, but it IS some of the BEST WRITING I've seen this year -- and I've seen countless good films this semester alone. The plot/structure! And the dialogue! And before I stop making sense, I wanted to say: I don't understand how people could dislike it! It's smart, disgusting, beautiful, terrifying, awkward, thought-provoking, hilarious... everything. Allusions to the classy stuff, but also the crass/pop-culture.... Off the top of my head, I can't think of another work of art -- painting, literature, freaking opera -- that puts so much of EVERYTHING together as articulately and intelligently as this film does. I've only seen it once, but I know this is a film I could happily watch over and over. Amazing! Even if Tarantino never makes another movie (KNOCK ON WOOD), he has all my admiration forever and ever.

Jack Wolfgang
Real McCoy

Post by Jack Wolfgang » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:02 pm

SPOILERS

Saw it twice and liked it a lot. Didn't quite love it but liked it a lot. It's a bit uneven like some others have pointed out. Although my only bigger problem with the movie is the fact that Hans Landa turns into a traitor at the end. I didn't like it at first viewing and somehow I liked it even less on second viewing even though it made a little more sense to me.

It was an interesting mix of the 90's Tarantino and the 00's Tarantino. It had the exploitation feel of Kill Bill but structurally it reminded me of Pulp Fiction. There were actually very few scenes, but pretty much all of them were just really long scenes. Also, on the surface it appeared as Tarantino at his most "childish" (like Death Proof) but on a closer look it was actually one of his more mature movies and in a way, probably his most political film to date.

The movie wasn't really about the war at all, it was mostly about the power of movies and propaganda. It was the first time watching a Tarantino movie where I felt the characters were in service of something else than just the story. A lot of them were intentionally over the top or even ridiculous. Interestingly, the morals of the movie weren't that black and white as I had expected. Nazis are the villains of the movie but Basterds are depicted in the movie doing more violent things and we're supposed to cheer for the Basterds cause they are the good guys. Also interestingly Aldo Raine is a really overblown charicature of a redneck, just as over the top as, say, Hitler. Like Tarantino is making a commentary about propaganda by making all the parties involved similarly over the top, like two sides of the same coin. Also I thought of the Basterds as a group being the metaphor of propaganda. By carving a swastika into their foreheads they brand the enemy permanently evil, just like an effectivepropaganda movie would do.

I can't eve quite put in the words what I think of some of the aspects of the movie, maybe I should see it a third time. Hope you catched my drift. Also on another note, Shosannas death scene was very well done, I thought. Probably the most poignant scene of Tarantino's career.

Mr.Pink

Post by Mr.Pink » Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:08 pm

Quentin Tarantino wrote:And what that mean??Mr.Pink?
Fuck off.

TheMeme
Cowardly Lion

Post by TheMeme » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:11 am

I've seen it twice already and I really liked it. But I still have some mixed feelings about it and think that it will take another viewing or two for me to give it a fair rating.

The first chapter where Christoph Waltz is interrogating the farmer is quite intense and the tension builds up really nicely until it reaches it's climax. This technique is repeated in the restaurant scene when Landa sits down and orders two Strudels and also on the bar scene. Good stuff.

The second chapter with the Basterds was nice. I liked Brad's character and it's comical attitude/speech. Yet I felt that he should have been given a bit more screentime and a more prominent role. He didn't really feel like a main character. He in fact doesn't actually do much. In the theater he is taken away before the movie even begins, the ones who go on with the Basterds' plan in the theater are Omar and Eli Roth's character (who oddly enough don't even wonder where Aldo and the actress they came with are). In the bar he doesn't goes down but remains outside all the time without been seen until the "Mexican standoff". He doesn't even gets to meet Shosanna. I was expecting his character to be more prominent.

I found the whole Bear Jew "introduction" rather redundant, specially given how disappointing his "entrance" was. You get this massive build up with the sound of the bat hitting the wall...looking into the dark and then the guy comes out and after hitting the man with a bat starts screaming, very much killing any kind of suspense the character may have had, about hitting it out of the ballpark and what not. If the idea was to make him look like a psycho, it didn't work.

Shosanna was amazing in all her parts and along with Landa was my favorite character. She was always full of emotion and you could feel her anger towards the Nazis at all times with just her facial expressions.

The last chapter was nicely done, most notably the camera work with the long takes, panning and overhead views. The bit where Aldo tries to speak Italian with Landa was rather funny. The part where Shosanna shoots Fredrick and then seems to regret it while getting closer to him only to get shot was quite moving and well done. The burning down of the theater, starting right after Shosanna's face appears in the screen was fantastic and also had a certain level of creepiness to it when the screen burns with her face in it and the movie continues to be projected in the smoke. The whole scene with Eli and Omar's characters shooting everyone from an opera box, a high spot like in the Nation's Pride movie they were viewing, was a good parallel with the movie and delivered quite a message.

The music choices felt a bit odd at times and the editing also seemed abrupt at some points. For example, when Shosanna and Fredrick are laying dead on the floor and a dramatic song starts to play it cuts abruptly into another scene. It didn't seem to flow very well at some places.

Overall I think it is a very nice movie but as I said I will have to watch it some more for it to sink in.

beatrixkiddo
Cowardly Lion

Post by beatrixkiddo » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:25 pm

The trunk shot was made up by the carving of the swastika in their foreheads. ;)
"If Quention hadn't made it in the film business, it's very likely he would have ended up a serial killer." - Roger Avary

Eastern Beauty
Fucking Professional

Post by Eastern Beauty » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:15 pm

So, my mom watched IB then she came to me and said: "I hate Tarantino. He's a sick man." I was like :o

And I must add that she liked his other movies ???