Who was auditioned for Donowitz?

There are several interviews where Eli Roth mentions that Quentin auditioned a bunch of big name actors for Donny Donowitz, but had him in mind for the role. Anyone know who was auditioned? Imbd says Adam Sandler was one…

Thx!

i doubt sandler actually auditioned for the role, but when tarantinos talked about IB in the past sandler’s name was one that was kicked about and presumably it wouldve been for donowitz’ character. Tim Roth was another name mentioned a lot and Im guessing that wouldve been for Aldo Raine, which would have been much better IMO, wouldve made more sense to have a jewish leader of the basterds (as well as roth being an infinitely better actor than pitt). Im guessing they both got too old to play the parts

[quote=“savage_henry”]i doubt sandler actually auditioned for the role, but when tarantinos talked about IB in the past sandler’s name was one that was kicked about and presumably it wouldve been for donowitz’ character. Tim Roth was another name mentioned a lot and Im guessing that wouldve been for Aldo Raine, which would have been much better IMO, wouldve made more sense to have a jewish leader of the basterds (as well as roth being an infinitely better actor than pitt). Im guessing they both got too old to play the parts[/quote]

I think Sandler wanted to be in it but because of scheduling conflict he had to back out. Not sure which character it was for though.

I think Brad Pitt was great as Aldo. The Basterds were an American operation so there was probably not too many Jewish-American official soldiers at the time. The recruits looked like a bunch of regular (Jewish) kids who were probably easily dupped into their mission. Plus Pitt gave the funniest line in the film near the end with ‘bonjourno’ LOL