New Review: Inglourious Basterds is a Triumph!

A seemingly half-assed review, full of standard critical jargon, but effusively positive all the way down:

<LINK_TEXT text=“Entertainment – UPROXX … -a-triumph”>Entertainment – UPROXX</LINK_TEXT>

cool!

on another thread you talked about 2 interviews, one in creative screenwriting. i don’t remember the other one… the guardian? do you remember which issue it was?

I think I said Empire. I believe those scans may have been posted. The best interview i’ve read so far with QT on IB is in the new issue of Filmmaker.

Very happy to hear this. I think Jackie Brown is QTs most sophisticated film, so if Basterds is like that, Id say it will probably be his best original work so far.

[quote=“Pete”]
Very happy to hear this. I think Jackie Brown is QTs most sophisticated film, so if Basterds is like that, Id say it will probably be his best original work so far.
[/quote]

It is, they’re promoting it as an action movie for all the explosion buffs. The scene between the old woman and The Bear Jew is a very warm one. Where the woman signs the bat. The Nazis have taken so much from the Jewish people - and now Donny is going to get some retribution for his people.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
It is, they’re promoting it as an action movie for all the explosion buffs. The scene between the old woman and The Bear Jew is a very warm one. Where the woman signs the bat. The Nazis have taken so much from the Jewish people - and now Donny is going to get some retribution for his people.
[/quote]

Tha’t scene is cut.

That was a good scene, but I also thought its use was the one real flaw of the script. That jumbled up narrative – constantly shifting from flashbacks to flash forwards to hitler and back to the basterds and with some out-of-nowhere-voice over thrown in – was a bit too clogged up with “stuff” and didn’t seem to fit in with the style of the rest of the piece. I think he did a good thing in cutting that out, as good as it was on its own terms. However, what I can’t abide is QT cutting out the brief monologue following the incidents in the farmhouse during the opening chapter. That little monologue by The Jew Hunter was brilliant and vital.

[quote=“AndrewFields88”]
That was a good scene, but I also thought its use was the one real flaw of the script. That jumbled up narrative – constantly shifting from flashbacks to flash forwards to hitler and back to the basterds and with some out-of-nowhere-voice over thrown in – was a bit too clogged up with “stuff” and didn’t seem to fit in with the style of the rest of the piece. I think he did a good thing in cutting that out, as good as it was on its own terms. However, what I can’t abide is QT cutting out the brief monologue following the incidents in the farmhouse during the opening chapter. That little monologue by The Jew Hunter was brilliant and vital.
[/quote]

I think I remember reading that QT cut it because it stole some of the Bear Jew’s thunder (and subsequent “lightning”) when he walks out the “cave”

I read that too, but I’m sure that wasn’t the only reason