New Look on Frontpage

When is it gonna be integrated in the forum and archive? Though personally I prefer it as it was before a lot more.

Oh, and when will you merge the blog with the frontpage? ;D

the frontpage is the blog, the Archives’ blog has ceased.

as for the look, it might change, but i am kind of fed up at the moment. the way it is not it’s kinda nice from a technical perspective, but it’s still far from working the way I want it, so the frontpage might change another couple times till i got it the way i want it…

Wow :o I don’t like the new look at all :-X

[quote=“Sebastian”]
the frontpage is the blog, the Archives’ blog has ceased.

as for the look, it might change, but i am kind of fed up at the moment. the way it is not it’s kinda nice from a technical perspective, but it’s still far from working the way I want it, so the frontpage might change another couple times till i got it the way i want it…
[/quote]

Glad to hear the old blog has ceased. Now it s all about perfecting the lool.

I still think going with a vertical centered layout would be easier to read. You could have the top 3 or 4 stories on the main page. Have some nice big photos to look at above each news blurb (this will help grab peoples eye and keep them coming back to see whats next). Then maybe put all your links on either side of the center area. Amazon links, Mini SWDB & Deuce banners. Just an idea.

yeah I will definitely have another profound overhaul of the main page. it is all very difficult for me because a) i am not a programmer b) i don’t get paid for sitting down for a few hours without interruption and c) you’re dealing with average internet visitors and a high “bounce rate”, so cramming as much information onto a screen without forcing people to scroll is paramount, while also you need to keep things simple and not shy away those who want to dig deeper…

but i’ll work on it. help is welcome of course, so if anyone wants to send in a “fake” mock-up screenshot of how he/she would like the frontpage to look like, or even better, if you are good with wordpress theme/template design, drop me an email

almost done with an ALMOST FROM SCRATCH redo of the frontpage. if in doubt, do a hard refresh on your browsers. should work a lot better now. the four place holders on the right column will be replaced by a few little ads. there are some kinks I still have to iron out, but this is finally VERY close to how I wanted it

I think its ACE. A few more touch ups and it will be the bees knees! :smiley:

I think you should have a little spot for YouTube vids too. Like if QT is at some awards show you can have it on the page. The more multimedia the better. I also hoped you’d add an MP3 of QT saying: This website is fucking killer! Or if not that, maybe a monthly QT movie score mp3 or something. 8)

yeah i’m still working about a few things here and there. I will probably have a little box with a link to the youtube page and stuff like that soon. currently i’m still working out some layout issues, and then i’ll fill those 125x125 add places with a few things that mostly link to The Archives, and then I think we’re pretty much safe for a while… :wink:

Add a few nice images, etc. It will be great. I def think that vertical design is best, esp for blogs. You just have to get the right style for your site.

Its like looking at a canvas and all you can use is squares, you just gotta set up the nicest looking block design you can.

yeah. the idea behind the horizontal was to show more things at once, but i think the way i have it now works a lot better, plus i have the latest 5 or so headlines in the left column for “easier access” (if you get the reference there, haha). I will work on a little guideline to work out what size of pictures look best in news entries and how many words before you should add a “read more” link. so yeah, with the recent increase in The Archives editing activity - mainly thanks to the lovely cyber lili, my lovely french princess - and the overhaul of the frontpage, i think we’re getting closer to making tarantino.info fit for whatever happens this year, inglorious bastards production activity or what have you…

you can also condense it even more and just have the top 3 news stories with (…MORE NEWS) if you dont want that extra space. which is good to keep the bounce rate down.

Lilli is proving to be a real sly cat on the wiki. Im def impressed by her skills! :slight_smile:

Hey ! Nice to see my name, ahah, but don’t thank me, QT’s love first ! And your hardworker team needed a female presence ;D

Btw I’m learning more and more about the wiki codes and all, I’m still not the best but I try to improve. I’ll try to find an idea for the frontpage too, I’m sure we can do something great out of it. :wink:

Anyways keep up the great work.

Wow, everything is looking great.

thanks, dude. still working out kinks here and there…

Yeah, could do with that extra ad, but dude, it is looking almost perfect, really mean that.

In the archive, the only major things that need changing IMO are:

1 Removing the link for the old blog on the frontpage, and possibly removing the page altogether.

2 Possibly leaving the large links at the top of the page just for wikipedia related stuff, and moving Robert Rodriguez to the smaller section of links.

3 Sorting out some of the graphical problems, such as the white box here; <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.ph … _Tarantino”>http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.php/Quentin_Tarantino</LINK_TEXT>

[quote=“NonStop”]
1 Removing the link for the old blog on the frontpage, and possibly removing the page altogether.

2 Possibly leaving the large links at the top of the page just for wikipedia related stuff, and moving Robert Rodriguez to the smaller section of links.

3 Sorting out some of the graphical problems, such as the white box here; <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.ph … _Tarantino”>http://www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.php/Quentin_Tarantino</LINK_TEXT>
[/quote]

1 done

2 done

3 in progress

Everybody be cool. YOU be cool. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Sebastian”]
3 in progress
[/quote]

done. darkened the background on those Table of Contents boxes… so far so good