Your favourite movie discoveries

mmm…Am I allowed to say Pulp Fiction?

I discovered it, I had almost heard nothing of it before, and I fell in love instantly…

[quote=“me”]
400 Blows-First time I watched this movie I didnt really like it but a year later I watched it and completely fell in love with it

The Killing Fields-Wonderful war movie

Oldboy

Men At Work

Rolling Thunder

[/quote]
Men at Work: “time to do the dirty”

John Woo.

Quentin Tarantino (almost four years).

Sergio Leone.

400 blows is in my all time top 10 movies fucking amazing. traffaut is better than godard from what i’ve seen.

Depends what kind of cinema you like. They were both very different back then. You had the real modern Nouvelle Vague directors and the more classic. Truffaut was said to be more classic. And Godard innovated more. He’s the one who took esthetic risks.

But you have to give the credit to Truffaut and Les 400 Coups to have re-introduced the frontal glance when Jean-Pierre Léaud looked at the camera, frozen shot then, at the end of the movie. This will be the Nouvelle Vague trademark, Godard used it then in A Bout De Souffle. But it was first used by Bergman in Monika.

Oh! I forgot all about Run. Sadly, it was one of those great films that only got a VHS release.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
Depends what kind of cinema you like. They were both very different back then. You had the real modern Nouvelle Vague directors and the more classic. Truffaut was said to be more classic. And Godard innovated more. He’s the one who took esthetic risks.

But you have to give the credit to Truffaut and Les 400 Coups to have re-introduced the frontal glance when Jean-Pierre Léaud looked at the camera, frozen shot then, at the end of the movie. This will be the Nouvelle Vague trademark, Godard used it then in A Bout De Souffle. But it was first used by Bergman in Monika.
[/quote]

never knew bergman used the freeze frame ending first! can you make any sense of persona cos I cant, its got the whole david lynch thing going on but its actually more obscure!

Bergman didn’t use the freeze frame ending, he only used the frontal glance at the camera. And that’s because of this precise movie every director from the Nouvelle Vague period did the same. Take a look at that :

Monika by Bergman :

Les 400 Coups by Truffaut :

Btw I didn’t see Persona, I don’t know a lot of Bergman. But try ask some other in this forum, they may explain you.

I Heart Huckabees and Duane Hopwood

Clean, Shaven. Peter Greene (Zed) as a tormented schizophrenic trying to find his daugter. We see things from his point of view as he experineces places of the mind only schizoperenics can see/feel/think. Good movie.

Hardware. Low budget film dealing with post-apocalyptic themes about a robot on a rampage through a womans apartment. Cool music, cool death scenes. Too bad the rating is so low on IMDB, only 5.2 and over 1000 votes. This would’ve worked out had it been released independently instead being a mainstream release. Cause the film is terrible by mainstream standards.

Wes Andersons films. I <3 him.

Layer Cake. The next best thing in the tradition of Guy Richies films.

The Holy Mountain. By accident I saw this in the theatre with a friend… And what a trip that movie is… I’m going to buy this and watch it high the next time I see it.

And tons more. I thought I’d meantion those cause they rule.

I’m always discovering films on IMDB where I spend most of my online time.

I loved The Virgin Spring and Wild Strawberries by bergman but I hated The Seventh Seal.

One of the worst movies ever made, but boy do I love it!

Ingmar Bergman:

Ingmar Bergman films, I’ve seen 5 so far and I loved them all.

Humphrey Bogart and James Cagney:

Film Noir

Buster Keaton, Scorsese american film doc. & Fritz Lang:

Silent films and… Fritz Lang…

let’s keep this thread going 8)

Prime Cut

I like Lee Marvin, I like the young Sissy Spacek, I like Gene Hackman, I like 70’s low-key action thrillers. This movie has all this and it was awesome.

Escape 2000 (aka “Turkey Shoot” or “Blood Camp Thatcher”)

Exploitation at it’s very best. Directed by Brian Trenchard-Smith, of Leprechaun and BM Bandits fame.

The Partridge Family

Yes a TV show, not a movie, but by far my favourite discovery. What an awesome show. Oh the things I want to do with young Susan Dey…

[quote=“Crazy Kenneth”]
Escape 2000 (aka “Turkey Shoot” or “Blood Camp Thatcher”)

Exploitation at it’s very best. Directed by Brian Trenchard-Smith, of Leprechaun and BM Bandits fame.
[/quote]

Funny, I’ve never heard it called Escape 2000. Must be the international title; it’s known exclusively as Turkey Shoot in Australia (I have heard Blood Camp Thatcher though). One of the most famous and greatest of Australia’s seventies/eighties genre/exploitation cycle.

Electra Glide in Blue

with Robert Blake

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
Electra Glide in Blue

with Robert Blake
[/quote]

Thats a great movie.

Begotten

Love the B/W bloodshed.

I always mention it in threads like this one, but:

I still don’t even remember how I came across it or what grabbed me about it; but Straight Time is simply a fantastic film and one of the most criminally underrated flicks out there. It takes the whole “ex-con trying to go straight” genre and does it to absolute perfection.

I <3 Dustin Hoffman. I’ve never seen a movie of his I didn’t like.