Why is it called Reservoir Dogs?

[quote=“Miss_White”]
[quote=“Scarface is on strike”]
The funny thing is that I’m pretty positive in Italy it’s called “Le Iene”, meaning “The Hyenas”. I wonder how other countries translated the name “Reservoir Dogs”.
[/quote]

yeah I don’t like how they changed the title!
[/quote]

Ii Italy I mean

In any case, the title works. The first time I heard it I pictured mangy mutts scavenging around in a muddy, forgotten reservoir. An evocative image for a crime film about lowlifes.

[quote=“Ms.Blonde”]
There was a famous french film called “Au revoir les enfants”, but QT couldn’t pronounce anything in French, so he called it “That reservoir movie”. Reservoir Dogs is a lot like a film called Straw Dogs (according to my mother). So, he combined the two. At least, that’s the most prominant theory.
[/quote]

the only official one and the only true explanation

[quote=“rpepper”]

'Or that Mr. Brown said the word ‘d!ck’ so many times that it prompted another member of the octet to say 'How many dncks is that?'

Or that, if you count, that was eight d!cks."

Actually, it was nine. Damn you! I had to count since you said that.[/quote]

In Argentina it was called “Perros de la calle”, which means something like “stray dogs”… not too far off, but I’d rather have them in their original title/version

[quote=“Ms.Blonde”]
There was a famous french film called “Au revoir les enfants”, but QT couldn’t pronounce anything in French, so he called it “That reservoir movie”. Reservoir Dogs is a lot like a film called Straw Dogs (according to my mother). So, he combined the two. At least, that’s the most prominant theory.
[/quote]

yes, this does seem like the true answer, but i don’t get the Straw Dogs connection.

Straw Dogs isn’t really like Reservoir Dogs at all… :-</E>

Yeah, they’re not really similiar at all. I think Straw Dogs was just a favorite of Quentin’s and so he combined the two words to form the name Reservoir Dogs

[quote=“IL_Buono”]
Yeah, they’re not really similiar at all. I think Straw Dogs was just a favorite of Quentin’s and so he combined the two words to form the name Reservoir Dogs
[/quote]

do you assume that, or have you read that? i dont think straw dogs had a connection to the title here …

i belive it is the french title thing. i heard in an interview somewhere that that is where he got the title and it has nothing to do with the rest of the movie, but i can’t remember exactly when or where it was

becuz “Reservoir Cats” sounded too pussy

[quote=“Joe_Cabot”]
When QT worked in a video store, he referred to the French film ‘Au Revoir Les Enfants’ as ‘the reservoir film’ because he couldn’t pronounce the title. He combined this with ‘Straw Dogs’, a Sam Peckinpah film from 1971, to produce the title ‘Reservoir Dogs’.
[/quote]

please, everyone READ IT and remember it. then nobody needs to ask it all over again

okay, got it.

i saw a movie being displayed in a dvd store called trap dogs or something. it is about the same stuff as reservoir dogs, a bunch of guys plan a robbery and one guy gets injured really badlly, i might buy it.

Reservoir Dogs is such a cool name. It’s like those two great films have given birth to an even better film!

ok ok ok, the REAL reason they call it RESERVOIR DOGS is because of this: The term RESERVOIR DOGS is a concept of these pack of junkyard dogs that roam around and take whatever they want. Thats why QT calls in RESERVOIR DOGS, because they are a pack of crazy dogs that take what they want.

THATS RIGHT MOTHAFUCKA!!

If any of you actually own the DVD, Pam Grier tells you what a Reservoir Dog is.

i dont know, this is stupid but i always thought that since ‘‘resevoir’’, means man made, then i thought that resevoir dogs meant a group called together buy a guy, and made into one group of ‘‘dogs.’’-not really dogs.

Yeah the Pam Grier one sounds right to me…but that doesn’t mean that’s why QT picked the title…

[quote=“Ms.Blonde”]
There was a famous french film called “Au revoir les enfants”, but QT couldn’t pronounce anything in French, so he called it “That reservoir movie”.
[/quote]

its also one of QT’s favourite movie’s so he probabale took it from it.

[quote=“Joe_Cabot”]
When QT worked in a video store, he referred to the French film ‘Au Revoir Les Enfants’ as ‘the reservoir film’ because he couldn’t pronounce the title. He combined this with ‘Straw Dogs’, a Sam Peckinpah film from 1971, to produce the title ‘Reservoir Dogs’.
[/quote]

that’s how the title came about