[Vol 2] Your opinion on Vol. 2 + The Superman monologue

What the fuck Shizz? You’re a fucking fanny-wart.

You clearly aren’t a real fan if you can’t critique Tarantino’s work.

I liked the Superman speech, but I do realise it’s not as good as anything from Pulp.

[quote=“6079”]
The key line is (sorry if I don’t get it 100% correct) “Clark Kent is Superman’s critique on the world,” meaning Superman sees the human race as weak and cowardly, which is why Clark Kent comes off that way.[/quote]

The exact words are "And what are the characteristics of Clark Kent? He’s weak … he’s unsure of himself … he’s a coward. Clark Kent is Superman’s critique on the whole human race."

And then comes the comparison "Sorta like Beatrix Kiddo and Mrs. Tommy Plimpton"

The only problem I have with this comparison is the use of the word ‘critique’. (which is -apart from what I’m about to say- still a great comparison/monologue ! )

A better way to put it -imo- would be "Clark Kent is Superman’s analysis of the human race,"

My problem with ‘critique’ is that it implies a good or bad judgement (in case of Superman : about the world, or better about humanity). That the reason why Clark Kent comes off that way, because he thinks the human race is weak/cowardly

Superman’s reason to ‘be Clark Kent’ is to blend in with the hive, to not to be noticed. So people won’t make the connection with Superman. This says nothing about how Superman sees the world or humanity, this does not say “Superman sees the human race as weak and cowardly”.

But if he acts weak and cowardly, he wont be noticed, he would ‘blend in with the hive’. To help humans in need, and to not blow his cover, he needs to go undercover, as Clark Kent. But he will always be Superman, a man from Kryptonyte.

b]And that is exactly what Beatrix also tries to do :[/b] to give B.B. a chance in live -without the murder and al- she needs to go undercover, as Arlene Plympton. But she will always be Beatrix Kiddo, a N°1 serial killa.

I just think the “Superman sees the human race as weak and cowardly.” is out of place. And not necessary to make the point. Point being ‘trying to blend in with the hive’ And it could’ve been omitted. Would’ve made it better… more obvious…

Anyone agrees ?

Sure, Superman has to blind in the hive, while he helps the humans in need, to be not noticed for he won’t be stopped because of his too many differences with the whole humanity living in a sad statu quo. He then decide and take the risk to be weak, and he has the difficulty to go swiftly from him Superman to a weakly human personality to appeared amongst the humans as a man with his weakness and the consequences involved.

“Superman sees the human race as weak and cowardly” is not out of place, I don’t think so because Superman need to see exactly, what is the level of the humanity to help it. Critique is not the word, because he don’t need to critic or judge the humanity for his purpose, he distinguish and place in a entirety the good and the bad to help in every situations.

I love that scene specially with Bill David Carradine how he compels with coolness and alertness with the shot of an arrow his version on Superman, he is living in the scene, he don’t act. The monologue is long but it’s sublime.

His description on Superman helping the humanity add a dimension wider to the film than a betrayal or jealousy story between lovers. As a former lover, one could understand he is totally opposed to her marriage, but he explain her that he is more against the way she intend to be spouse than her getting married by making a comparison between the life of Superman who use his powerful feelings to help humanity, and the life of someone dull who don’t exploit his skills and is a coward, and he continue to explain her that she Beatrix Kiddo must not forget who she truly is with her strong feelings while she has a regular life, to not let herself dive in a routine lacking of accomplishments. He don’t talk about how to combine swiftly the two identities, because anyway Superman has the same difficulty to do it.

Otherwise, I love the martial arts fights scene, specially KB 2, the choregraphy is extremely well plotted and realized and that make a dialogue in the film. Sometimes a sportman used to competitive events like judo, forget that this a dialogue and he put too much opposition without perception of the whole space of the fight and the harmony of the flows in it, and his only goal is to stop the motions so there’s a lack of complete motions, and no much things happen.

I think an actor having no experience of a martial art can learn the essential of a martial art through doing a very good fight scene he has to do because martial art is basically a dialogue with all its rules and possibilities, and is a matter of presence and owning space by spiritual feeling means by perception of the whole space to be free to act.