The Super Awesome QTA Movieclub

Damn I wish I would’ve seen this sooner, I was just at blockbuster! Damn!

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
Damn I wish I would’ve seen this sooner, I was just at blockbuster! Damn!
[/quote]

gasp You don’t OWN this? Wow. You’re like one of the few that I would just assume owned this one. Canadians… tisk tisk.

[quote=“Geoi”]
gasp You don’t OWN this? Wow. You’re like one of the few that I would just assume owned this one. Canadians… tisk tisk.
[/quote]

lol you should never assume :stuck_out_tongue:, I have seen it but not recently. I’ve got a grudge against Sofia Coppola thought I loved it despite myself, can’t bring myself to buy it though

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
lol you should never assume :stuck_out_tongue:, I have seen it but not recently. I’ve got a grudge against Sofia Coppola thought I loved it despite myself, can’t bring myself to buy it though
[/quote]

Well say no more. I can respect a grudge. I have many.

Has everybody watched Lost in Translation ?? If my mind is right, the deadline to watch it was last sunday, so we can now start to talk about it.

I won’t start myself until I’m not sure we’re not only 3 to have watched it.

I posted earlier on this thread but unfortunately I couldn’t get my hands on a DVD before the deadline, and now I’m sad…But I’d still enjoy reading your comments about the movie…a lot

Yeah, but who (except myself) has seen the movie or knows it enough to talk about it ? Or even just want to talk about it ? Cause if everybody gets excited about the project and already forget to watch the first movie, we won’t get too far that way…

Or do some want to extend the deadline and have another week to be sure to watch the movie and talk about it afterwards ?

Thing is, considering that some people here find the time to watch (sometimes a lot) more than 4 movies a week, it’s probably that LiT didn’t get too many people excited, or that it was a bad week for many people. I think the idea behind this thread is great but we need to get a good 10 or 15 people interested to ensure that at least 4 or 5 people will watch the movie of the week and talk about it (in the worst case, of course I’de like to see these 15 people talk about it !)

Yeah.

Then the thing will be so : We have to know who wants to be in, again.

So people just post here to agree on watching the movie and talk about it. New deadline : next wednesday, 4th of March.

If we haven’t enough people, then we’ll have to turn to another movie or maybe just drop the idea…

I just watched it, so I guess I’m in.

This is a great idea, even though unfortunately I cannot commit myself to watching a movie every week due to my current busy schedule. This time I am in luck though, sonce I saw LIT just a few weeks ago.

I had first tried to watch this flick about 5 years ago with some friends. A friend of mine, seeing Bill Murray on the cover, thought it was going to be a fast paced laugh out loud comedy. Needless to say, my friends were massively disappointed and even switched it off halfway through. I didn’t know what to think of it at the time and I had to wait some years later in order to watch it again and finish it off.

It was certainly a unique movie in how it was structured. The themes of loneliness and alienation are present all over, though very subtle throughout and not fed down your throat, which is a very positive aspect of movie making since it means that the director trusts the audience enough and thinks that it is smart enough to arrive to its own conclusions.

Needless to say, the cinematography is beautiful. The soundtrack is haunting. The acting from the two main stars is top notch. The biggest strength that this movie has, however, is not strictly tied to the technical aspect of the film. I love this movie primarily because how it makes me feel at the end of it. I love how it connected with me as soon as the closing credits roll. I felt like I knew those two characters all my life The ending is very emotional, and I admit. I almost shed a tear or two (though I am still not sure if Murray should have kissed Scarlett on the lips). It fills you up with hope. As cliche’ as it may sound, it makes you look at the world in a wholly different light. And very few movies succeed in doing that.

And I have no doubt that I will appreciate this movie even more once I reach Bull Murray’s age.

I love Lost In Translation, I’ve seen it quite a few times. I wonder what Sofia is doing next?

[quote=“Scarface”]
The biggest strength that this movie has, however, is not strictly tied to the technical aspect of the film. I love this movie primarily because how it makes me feel at the end of it. I love how it connected with me as soon as the closing credits roll. I felt like I knew those two characters all my life The ending is very emotional, and I admit. I almost shed a tear or two (though I am still not sure if Murray should have kissed Scarlett on the lips). It fills you up with hope. As cliche’ as it may sound, it makes you look at the world in a wholly different light. And very few movies succeed in doing that.

And I have no doubt that I will appreciate this movie even more once I reach Bull Murray’s age.
[/quote]

You’re very much right. I did feel the same at the time when I first it in theater. The ending was so powerful that I was feeling all weird. The Jesus Mary Chain track helped a lot too btw and I’m a huge fan of this band. Sofia Coppola knows to get you in the mood of her movies, she’s all into visual and feelings. There’s never much said in her movies, not much dialogues, a lot of silence, but you never get bored cause she knows how to catch your attention. There’s not a single shot I dislike in her three movies (except for Trip Fontaine being older in Virgin Suicides). Especially in Lost in Translation. She’s this visual sensibility, it’s so lovely, feminine but not in bad way, like some bad girly movies that only girls would love. A lot of boys and men are in love with her movies too. And that’s very rare for a female director to catch a male audience and make it addicted to her style.

I think you did the right choice to watch the movie again and not with your friends. I think that every Sofia Coppola movies is that special that you better share them only with yourself for the first viewing. It’s so intimate, so you have to alone to concentrate. I would watch a new movie by her in theater, only with someone that I consider very special. I can’t share it with anyone, at least not the very precious first viewing.

Btw about the idea of loving the movie even more when yo’ure Bill Murray’s age, I do think too. And I also think that when I’ll be in the Scarlett Johansson position too, studies over and a serious relationship (no marriage, I don’t want to get married), I’ll understand her even more. But it’s already an achievement to reach such a large audience that haven’t experienced either the 50s crisis nor the 20s crisis.

Last remark :

Scarlett was 17 when she shot it. I couldn’t believe.

PS : Have you seen The Virgin Suicides and Marie-Antoinette, Scar ?

I have seen TVS, which I really liked but not as much as LIT.

I liked both of them although I think TVS is probably a better movie artistically speaking. Its perfect. It really was an achievement considering this was her first movie

Let’s nominate some movies to watch again dear members!

Here are my votes for movies to watch:

• Ghost World.
  • Donnie Darko.
  • L’ Armée des ombres/ Army in The Shadows.
  • Le Samouraï.
  • Garden State.
  • Any Wes Anderson movie.
  • Any Sofia Coppola movie.

Just nominate your own pics and: The movie that gets 3 votes first is the one people can watch and discuss.

Ok, I propose a different concept but you’ll be pleased, Seth since we both love the same movies and that it includes movies you just submitted.

I propose a special The Graduate tribute:

• The Graduate
  • Rushmore
  • Garden State

The concept is easy to understand : we first watch this must-seen, The Graduate, and then two recent movies influenced by it, Garden State and Rushmore. Then we can discuss of the differences, the similarities, why the late sixties recently influence lots of movies (see how Harold and Maude influenced Anderson too).

Haha, I actually thought about something along those lines. Birds of a feather

So yeah, I agree on watching those! I’ll start with the Graduate tomorrow.

I’ve seen Garden State 3 times, and to be honest, I hated it. But I vote on those anyway, have all of them on DVD so why not.

I vote Garden State, since I own it, so it’s easy for me. Sorry for the laziness, but seriously, I like it.