The ear scene

[quote=“Mr_Gold”]
The ear scene was cool,I first watched it with my girlfriend and she nearly threw up :-[

I thought it was funny but it would cave been a different story if he had actually shown the ear getting hacked off
[/quote]

:o HOW THE HELL COULD IT NEARLY MAKE U THROW Up??

i’d heard so much about the ear scene being really disturbing, then i watched it & im like “is that it” ?? LOL i was expecting extreme gore & torture & instead i got an hilarious blonde dancing to Steelers Wheel, a few lil screams & a plastic ear with blood on. i thought it was absolutley hilarious and CMON tha guy was a cop, he had it coming!! LMAO did i say that out loud??? :smiley: :smiley:

i think when things are hyped to be really bad, theyre never THAT bad! Like, Kill Bill.

Bcuz u expect the worst & what u get is usually nowhere near

im so glad i saw RD its now one of my fav movies next to KB :-*

[quote=“GoGoYubari”]
[quote=“Mr_Gold”]
The ear scene was cool,I first watched it with my girlfriend and she nearly threw up :-[

I thought it was funny but it would cave been a different story if he had actually shown the ear getting hacked off
[/quote]

i’d heard so much about the ear scene being really disturbing, then i watched it & im like “is that it” ?? LOL i was expecting extreme gore & torture & instead i got an hilarious blonde dancing to Steelers Wheel, a few lil screams & a plastic ear with blood on. i thought it was absolutley hilarious and CMON tha guy was a cop, he had it coming!! LMAO did i say that out loud??? :smiley: :smiley:

i think when things are hyped to be really bad, theyre never THAT bad! Like, Kill Bill.

im so glad i saw RD its now one of my fav movies next to KB :-*
[/quote]

Like LOL, IMO, OMG, LOL, OMG, ROFL, LMAO, OMG, GSOH !!

Glad u liked the filam, @ da time tho tha ear seen woz quite disturbing!!

EOM, LOL!

[quote=“Ify”]
[quote=“GoGoYubari”]
[quote=“Mr_Gold”]

[/quote]

i’d heard so much about the ear scene being really disturbing, then i watched it & im like “is that it” ?? LOL i was expecting extreme gore & torture & instead i got an hilarious blonde dancing to Steelers Wheel, a few lil screams & a plastic ear with blood on. i thought it was absolutley hilarious and CMON tha guy was a cop, he had it coming!! LMAO did i say that out loud??? :smiley: :smiley:

[/quote]

EOM, LOL!
[/quote]

hahaha glad i made u laugh! its just things like that dont bother mE! Its just regular good old QT violencE! nothing QT does could offend me except of course, shit on me :D LMFAO

to think sum1 nearly threw up thO just cracks my sides! this person is soo sheltered! :-*

[quote=“GoGoYubari”]
[quote=“Ify”]
[quote=“GoGoYubari”]

[/quote]

EOM, LOL!
[/quote]

hahaha glad i made u laugh! its just things like that dont bother mE! Its just regular good old QT violencE! nothing QT does could offend me except of course, shit on me :D LMFAO

to think sum1 nearly threw up thO just cracks my sides! this person is soo sheltered! :-* [/quote]

LikE I toTally gEt wot uR sayin, LMAO, iTs juSt likE so weiRd, OMG, LMFAO, LOL

EOM

The reason the ear scene is SO upsetting to people is because he did exactly what Hitchcock did with his infamous Psycho shower scene - he NEVER showed the actual butchery. And someone’s imagination will never be as limited as something that’s right there on the screen. What’s great about it is that to some degree it can always be worse than it actually was.

And I disagree - for the simple fact that it was done so tastefully and yet so savagely, I still think people would have a hard time watching it. Scenes like the needle in Pulp Fiction are lesser so now because they showed it on screen. It was what it was and we’re now over it.

Personally I loved the ear scene, but then I am extremely bloodthirsty and imagined the scene with the ultimate detail and brutality! ;D

[quote=“Ms.Blonde”]
The reason the ear scene is SO upsetting to people is because he did exactly what Hitchcock did with his infamous Psycho shower scene - he NEVER showed the actual butchery. And someone’s imagination will never be as limited as something that’s right there on the screen. What’s great about it is that to some degree it can always be worse than it actually was.

[/quote] indeed !

The 1st thing that comes to mind hearing the movie mentioned is “clowns to the left of me…jokers to the right…here I am…”

When I saw the ear scene for the first time I was stunned. But have you noticed this:

Right after the ear is cut, you don’t see the wound for a LONG LONG time (especially if repeating a mantra: “where’sthewound, where’sthewound, where’sthewound…” like I was for the first time I saw it). Then just BLAM it is shown and Marvin is screaming top of his lungs. Damn, after that I was going like: “Hey, no reason to show the wound again…” That really stroke me the biggest.

I love the ear scene. To me, it’s the most memorable scene in any Quentin Tarantino movie.I just hate it when I watch it with my friends and they crack up, like it’s a fuckin’ comedy. If I ever laugh during that scene, it’s out of disbelief of how fucked up Mr. Blonde is. Outstanding Madsen performance.

my fav scene in the movie!!, it was really tense when i first watched it and the suspense was killing me! lol, it gave my nightmares for a week!! :-</E> but i felt compelled to keep on watching it!!! (then again i was seven!!) :stuck_out_tongue:

:smiley: lol

The scene is pure genious. I also love the ‘Mind Your Head’ sign when the cutting goes off screen too. Without that, Madsen wouldn’t be half as known as what he is, and Reservoir Dogs probably wouldn’t have been as much as a hit as what it was… All the controversy it started really got it into the media.

I was surprised how little affect it had on me when I first saw it, it was hyped up so much. I dont see it as being a particular uncomfortable scene at all for me, just a really cool scene, mainly for Michael Madsen’s dancing.

The chainsaw scene in Scarface disturbed me a lot more than the scene in Dogs.

[quote=“Coffee Shop”]
I love the ear scene. To me, it’s the most memorable scene in any Quentin Tarantino movie.I just hate it when I watch it with my friends and they crack up, like it’s a fuckin’ comedy. If I ever laugh during that scene, it’s out of disbelief of how fucked up Mr. Blonde is. Outstanding Madsen performance.
[/quote]

I agree with you.

I have one friend who always laughs at the scene, it pisses me off. But oh well, there loss. :stuck_out_tongue:

I laugh at the scene too. It is supposed to be funny, no shame in admitting it.

I laugh at the dancing, but not him cutting Nash’s ear off. I don’t find it funny for some reason.

Madsen’s lines after he cuts the ear off are funny.

“You hear that?”

It’s just a brilliant scène. Everyone talks about it because the ear being cut off but that isn’t what’s brilliant about it. Everyone could come up with a scène in which an ear is cut of. The brilliance lies in the great music(that’s like the opossite of the horrible things we see) in combination with the great close-up’s of the characters faces. It’s almost like a Sergio Leone film. The camera slowly moving around in a close-up of their faces. And then I haven’t even mentioned Madsens great performance(and his really cool dancing :wink:). This sequence deffinetly makes my top ten.

I laugh out loud every time Mr. Blonde pulls out the gas can. His cutting off the ear really isn’t the main point of the scene. What the ear thing tells you is that, yes, Mr. Blonde really will burn the cop and that, yes, they’re gonna show it. So the tension that builds in the audience on the first viewing is awesome, and the relief that you get when Mr. Orange blows him away is fabulous. I recently watched the movie with my dad and step-mom, and when Mr. Orange started shooting, she said, “Thank God”.

[quote=“StanrickKubley”]
I laugh out loud every time Mr. Blonde pulls out the gas can. His cutting off the ear really isn’t the main point of the scene. What the ear thing tells you is that, yes, Mr. Blonde really will burn the cop and that, yes, they’re gonna show it. So the tension that builds in the audience on the first viewing is awesome, and the relief that you get when Mr. Orange blows him away is fabulous. I recently watched the movie with my dad and step-mom, and when Mr. Orange started shooting, she said, “Thank God”.
[/quote]

Yeah it was like that the first viewing, although Mr. Blonde fucking owns.

[quote=“StanrickKubley”]
[/quote]

We get that glimpse of a true psychopath. I just love how Blonde is such good friends with Nice Guy Eddy and Joe; and then he is a psychopath. Small things like that add to the scene, I think.