The Cast of Inglourious Basterds

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
Now that we’re getting closer to seeing it I’m kinda pissed that I read it. Watching Pulp or Kill Bill for the first time was such an affecting experience because I had no idea where Quentin was going to take me. Now I know, or at least I have an idea but it’s just not the same. That being said. I read Rum Punch before I saw Jackie Brown and I was still blow away so who knows :stuck_out_tongue:
[/quote]

But Rum Punch and Jackie Brown are so different i don’t know if it would equal reading the actual script. So far the joy for me has been seeing QT realize the vision. It has been very interesting.

Imagine Leonardo diCaprio as the Jew hunter now! The thought is just silly now that I’ve seen Christoph Waltz in Nazi garb.

[quote=“Ordell Rodriguez”]
But Rum Punch and Jackie Brown are so different i don’t know if it would equal reading the actual script. So far the joy for me has been seeing QT realize the vision. It has been very interesting.

Imagine Leonardo diCaprio as the Jew hunter now! The thought is just silly now that I’ve seen Christoph Waltz in Nazi garb.
[/quote]

I don’t know. I’m about the biggest fan of Leo’s work, and was spewing out of my shorts when I heard the rumors about him playing Landa and not having him in it was such a big disappointment, Waltz will really have to win me over, but he looks poised to do it.

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
I don’t know. I’m about the biggest fan of Leo’s work, and was spewing out of my shorts when I heard the rumors about him playing Landa and not having him in it was such a big disappointment, Waltz will really have to win me over, but he looks poised to do it.
[/quote]

I really have respect for him and especially lately have become a big fan of his but I just don’t think it’s the kind of thing he’d do well. When I heard the news all I could think of was Tobey Mcguire in The Good German.

I really have respect for him and especially lately have become a big fan of his but I just don’t think it’s the kind of thing he’d do well. When I heard the news all I could think of was Tobey Mcguire in The Good German.

[/quote]

God, Tobey, Tobey, Tobey :stuck_out_tongue: That one made me upset. Great movie, Blanchett was great, but Tobey was like an elephant in a china shop. Thank God he died early on. Leo is a much better actor then McGuire. Look at Blood Diamond as an example, plus Leo is german… he speaks it/ His middle name is Wilhelm :stuck_out_tongue:. I think he’d be better than you think.

[quote=“Noir_Fiction”]
God, Tobey, Tobey, Tobey :stuck_out_tongue: That one made me upset. Great movie, Blanchett was great, but Tobey was like an elephant in a china shop. Thank God he died early on. Leo is a much better actor then McGuire. Look at Blood Diamond as an example, plus Leo is german… he speaks it/ His middle name is Wilhelm :stuck_out_tongue:. I think he’d be better than you think.
[/quote]

Leo is a damn good actor, he was probably the best part of Blood Diamond challenged only by Djimon Hounsou. But he looks too young and clean. Even in Blood Diamond. He just has that kind of face. I wouldn’t buy him as a ruthless, murdering, bastard (bastard mind you, not basterd). I’d love for him to try at some point years later.

[quote=“Kinick”]
You can find the full and complete cast list on the Cannes press kit now too (seems to be in order of significance also);[/quote]
My trouble is, I don’t find Maggie Cheung in it. AND it’s impossible he cut the Mimieux scene.

I think if Leo had been in this, it would be even more popular than it already is. Brad and Leo in the same film? I think Leo is a great actor too. Its just the believability aspect. Im not sure if having him play a German SS officer would be as convincing as Christoph Waltz. Which is why QT prob decided on him instead. Leos great but hes not a German guy.

[quote=“Pete”]
I think if Leo had been in this, it would be even more popular than it already is. Brad and Leo in the same film? I think Leo is a great actor too. Its just the believability aspect. Im not sure if having him play a German SS officer would be as convincing as Christoph Waltz. Which is why QT prob decided on him instead. Leos great but hes not a German guy.
[/quote]

Thank you Pete, I’m not alone on this.

I wonder what’s up with the cool cat playing Marcel, Jacky Ido. Havn’t seen a peep or word about the character. Just that picture of him and Shosanna “convincing” a gentleman of something with the assistance a hatchet.

Can Leo speak german as if it is his native language? Can he speak french? No. Does he look the part, a clever and experienced menacing villain? No. It would have been a terrible casting choice in every aspect. Period.

[quote=“Harry Chinaski”]
My trouble is, I don’t find Maggie Cheung in it. AND it’s impossible he cut the Mimieux scene.
[/quote]

I doubt it. That’s an important scene. Maybe it was just typos or whatever.

[quote=“Pinkman”]
Can Leo speak german as if it is his native language? Can he speak french? No. Does he look the part, a clever and experienced menacing villain? No. It would have been a terrible casting choice in every aspect. Period.
[/quote]

Anyone that can hold his own against Robert DeNiro, Jack Nicholson and Daniel Day Lewis is good enough imo. He def couldve played the part, its just the language part that mightve not worked as well.

ok without spoiling it for me: what’s the relation shoshanna/shosanna - mimieux - mondino? shosanna doesn’t own the theater, she just works there? mimieux owns it? is she pro-nazi? where does mondino come in? just very general please for me

Did I say he was a bad actor? No. He doesn’t fit the part, that’s all. It is clear when you read the script…

Well QT had him in mind before Waltz, so he probably could have.

Is Hans Landa supposed to be a cruel brute or a charming, wily bad guy? I think its more about the way the character acts and the language he talks in than his looks anyway.

Leos an excellent actor on his own. Just imagine how great he would be with QTs eye.

Anyways, doesnt matter now. Im just saying it wouldve been cool if it had happened for the right reasons.

[quote=“Sebastian”]
ok without spoiling it for me: what’s the relation shoshanna/shosanna - mimieux - mondino? shosanna doesn’t own the theater, she just works there? mimieux owns it? is she pro-nazi? where does mondino come in? just very general please for me
[/quote]

Mondino is Goebbels mistress. Mimieux is the owner of the theater and accept to hide Shosanna as a projectionist. Then Mimieux leaves the cinema to Shosanna.

I was also excited about the idea of Leo. If not Landa, I thought he would have made an awesome Zoller. But I think those parts are perfectly cast now.

[quote=“Pinkman”]
Mondino is Goebbels mistress. Mimieux is the owner of the theater and accept to hide Shosanna as a projectionist. Then Mimieux leaves the cinema to Shosanna.
[/quote]

Curious that she doesn’t leave it to Marcel when I think about it.

[quote=“Kinick”]
I was also excited about the idea of Leo. If not Landa, I thought he would have made an awesome Zoller. But I think those parts are perfectly cast now.
[/quote]

Now Zoller would have been a bitchin’ part for Leo!

Now Zoller would have been a bitchin’ part for Leo!
[/quote]

Agreed. But I like the fact that he cast a german movie star to play a fledgling German movie star lol.

Curious that she doesn’t leave it to Marcel when I think about it.
[/quote]

Well, black guy in 1940’s German occupied France… Probably wouldn’t go over well. There’s a shot of him on the Inglourious Basterds official site where he’s holding a camera. I have a feeling that his part has grown a little. Quentin described him a a film lover but that never really came across in the script.

I’m pretty sure she’ll be in it. She has a really good line, I highly doubt QT would want to take that out of the final cut.