Tarantino Universe

[quote=“Otis02”]
No, what I am saying is some people out there are claiming there are two “fantasy” 'verses in the cinematic world of Tarantino. On one hand you have True Romance, From Dusk Til Dawn, Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction… on the other hand you have the Kill Bill 'verse according to some.

Yet Michael Parks plays a Texas Ranger named McGraw both in FDTD and KB, that visits the convenience store/gas station at the beginning of FDTD and gets blown away by Richard Gecko. And he also plays another Texas Ranger McGraw at the beginning of KB Vol. 1, investigating the Massacre at Two Pines. Are they two different fantasy 'verses?!?
[/quote]

Yes, the ranger is the same person in both films. His son who comes in Vol. 1 also comes in FDTD 2 (and 3 I think)!!

But doesn’t Dusk Til Dawn take place in 96, and Kill Bill in 2000 (when they first discovered the bride’s body)?

Well I do know it’s the same character, but I don’t think ther’s a ruling against not being able to use a character who died.

But that timeline wouldn’t have made any sense, unless McGraw rose from the dead miraculously.

Maybe it’s his twin? ???

[quote=“MiaRose”]
Maybe it’s his twin? ???
[/quote]

It’s his son Nr. 6, just grown up.

lololol ;D

In fact, Michael Parks character in BOTH films is Texas Ranger Earl MacGraw…I’d give you a link, but it’s written in the end credits in both movies. Earl MacGraw…and he drives the same identical brown patrol car in both films, also.

I don’t recall either film depicting what year it is (1996 or 2000). I’d like to think the Ranger who is with The Bride in the church later in life is killed by QT’s character in FDtD. We ALL know how QT likes to jump around in time.

And although this has nothing to do with this topic, I live in L.A. and I was fortunate enough to smoke a bowl with a friend in QT’s driveway in front of his gate last month…he didn’t know, but I did. It was my tribute to him. Not that anyone cares…

I think that’s pretty cool, Butch.

If I could go to LA, I would love to see his house.

[quote=“IL_Buono”]
But that timeline wouldn’t have made any sense, unless McGraw rose from the dead miraculously.
[/quote]

Does it need to make sense? I think it’s just cool the way it is. Like two different… um… universes? That word used so much in this thread, but no matter. It explains itself.

But I need to say that the second half of FDTD belongs to the movie-movie-universe IMO.

When I think of the Kill Bill universe, I also think of the universe for that genre. The spurting blood, the flying through the air, etc. etc. They all belong to that genre. As with FDTD, it has certain characteristics which belong to its genre. People have to understand this when they view a movie in order to enjoy the experience. If they go in blind and dumb, they come out blind and dumb without the enjoyment of the experience.

Kill Bill happens before FDTD. Since the Wolf can travel through different universe’s, could Jacob from FDTD be The Wolf. Does Pulp Fiction happen before or after Reservoir Dogs?

Man, some of you guys are dense, I didn’t read all the posts on this thread but heres the deal: The two universes are 1. Tarantino’s, the one he created himself and uses for everthing he’s done so far except for Jackie Brown, which takes place in the “real world”. 2. The real world. Our worlds laws apply here and it’s the universe that Jackie Brown is set in. The whole deal with two universes is so he can do stuff like Pulp, True Romance, FDTD, etc, and link them all together and still keep them seperate from any other types of movies he might want to make or if he adapts someone else’s work again like he did for Jackie. For instance if he did a movie about a real person, that would be in the “real world” and outside of his own personal universe. Any of you guys read comics? It’s like the Marvel Universe, it’s a seperate thing, it’s not our world, time passes at a slower rate, it has different laws governing it, etc. And the Ranger in the Kill Bill and FDTD are the same, those movies so far as I know aren’t set in a specific time, so apparently the events in Kill BIll happened before the ones in FDTD.

[quote=“QT Fan”]
Kill Bill happens before FDTD. Since the Wolf can travel through different universe’s, could Jacob from FDTD be The Wolf. Does Pulp Fiction happen before or after Reservoir Dogs?
[/quote]

Pulp takes place after Reservoir Dogs! And yes, the scene with the sherrif Earl McGraw in Kill Bill does take place before FDTD. But not the whole film

So Kill Bill basicly takes place at the same time as FDTD.

[quote=“mrfantasto”]

Man, some of you guys are dense, I didn’t read all the posts on this thread but heres the deal: The two universes are 1. Tarantino’s, the one he created himself and uses for everthing he’s done so far except for Jackie Brown, which takes place in the “real world”. 2. The real world. Our worlds laws apply here and it’s the universe that Jackie Brown is set in. The whole deal with two universes is so he can do stuff like Pulp, True Romance, FDTD, etc, and link them all together and still keep them seperate from any other types of movies he might want to make or if he adapts someone else’s work again like he did for Jackie. For instance if he did a movie about a real person, that would be in the “real world” and outside of his own personal universe.[/quote]

Ahem… NO! QT himself has said that Jackie Brown happens in Elmore Leonard -universe. I’m watching now this interview with QT where he talks about the universes. The “real-world universe” with Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs and True Romance and the “movie-movie universe” with Kill Bill.

Go find that interview. You can find it from eMule with keywords “Tarantino on Kill Bill interview”.

Yes, theres 3 Universes QT has worked in: The Realer Than Real World Universe (Dogs, Pulp, True Romance, Inglorious Bastards) 2. The Movie Movie Universe (FDTD, NBK, Kill Bill, Grindhouse) 3. Elmore Leonards Universe (Jackie Brown).

The Wolf is the only character that can go into both the Movie Movie Universe AND Real World Universes. QT stated hes a Movie Movie character.ÂÂ

Characters from other non QT movies can show up in

the Movie Movie Universe (ex: Pai Mei and Hattori Hanzo in Kill Bill)

Characters in Elmore Leonards Universe can go into other Non QT films: Ex: Ray Nicolette (Michael Keaton) is in Jackie Brown AND Out Of Sight

Mr Crazi, Tarantino may have said that Kill Bill is in it’s own seperate universe too, if so that would be three I guess, I havn’t see that particular interview, but somewhere, years ago, I think when he was promoting Jackie Brown, he also talked about the fact that if he wanted to do someone else’s work, like Jackie Brown, or if he wanted to make someone’s life story, or a “serious” work, one not filled with culture refrences and hip characters campy tunes, it would take place outside of his Tarantino Universe.  He wanted all the characters in his universe to be intertwined, like Alabama popping up in True Romance and Reservoir Dogs for example.  But obviously if he wanted to do a movie about say Pat Sajaks life story, it has to be set outside his universe.  And I know Jackie Brown is Elmore Leonard’s Universe, but it’s also realistic, set in the real world.  Pulp and all his other movies are not, they have thier own set of rules.  Tarantino made specific mention of the scene in Pulp where The Fox is having a dinner party in a Tuxedo at 7 in the morning when Vincent and Jules called him for help, and how he came speeding over in his sports car and sprinkled “movie star dust” on the situation and made everything better, he talked about how that is a pure movie moment, not something that would take place in the “real world”.  Maybe he said something similiar about Kill Bill, but the idea of two seperate universes for his work, his, and everything else, has been there long before Kill Bill was around.  ÂÂ

Also, as far as Kill Bill is concerned, I don’t remember any characters overlapping with his other movies, but isn’t there an ad for Red Apple ciggarettes in there when Uma is riding on her motercycle? I always took that as a sign that it was set in the same universe as Pulp, etc.

Well any characters except the ranger we talked about earlier.