Tarantino presents: "hero" uncut

according the various kung fu boards the only version Tarantino could have saw was the 98min version, since that was the only one released. Miramax was planning to cut the 98min version and release that in the states,not the 120min “directors cut”

The 120mins was supposed to come out on DVD in HK months ago but keeps getting delayed.

I guess we’ll have to see what version that release, but I think its just gonna be an uncut 98min one, but heres hoping for the 120!

According to www.kungfucinema.com , Hero got pushed back to August 20 to accomodate Tarantino. Can you feel the love?! That will likely affect Infernal Affairs release date too.

BTW, according to http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hp&cf=prev&id=1808404383, it’s being re-titled “Jet Li’s Hero”.

I won’t be suprised of they re-named it Legend of Hero. :stuck_out_tongue:

From http://www.monkeypeaches.com/: “Hero trailer would be shown prior to the Kill Bill Vol. 2 première on April 8, Dede Nickerson, one of the film’s associate producers and MiramAxe’s Asia consultant, told a few Chinese newspapers. She said Shaolin Soccer was released in a few selected North American cities, only because Stephen Chow could not show up to promote his film and the same theory also applied to Hero. She was very confident that Hero would made at least US$ 30 million at 1000 North American theaters. (Hero has already made at least US$ 30 million in the mainland China at 300 theaters.) According her, director Zhang Yimou and several major stars of the film will do a 10 city promo tour this summer in North America. MiramAxe, she said, is now re-doing the subtitle (to make it more accurate or to make it more…?)…”

First of all, I am grateful that I had the chance to see “Iron Monkey”. Kung Fu films are all about good overcoming evil (after a wheelbarrel full of dying-breath adrenaline-fuelled fights). Nowadays, so many of the action movies are about some asshole with a fast bike or car that blows shit up. Sure, you can win when you have tremendous firepower, but what kind of skill and strategy does that take? Also, most modern action films have main characters that I would never want to do any kind of business with. What we, the people, need are heroes that not only kick ass, but kick the asses of the evil ones for a damn good reason. So, I am oh-so looking forward to “Hero”. Thanks Mr. Quentin Tarantino. You rock…and roll!

So is the version coming out the longer cut or what? I don’t want to go back and read.

Monkey Peaches said that Yimou’s Shi Mian Mai Fu’s been picked up by Sony, and with Danny the Dog coming out next year, I really have no reason to support the Miramaxed Hero.

Yes re-premiere. The movie was already in theaters in the US and worldwide. just not “wide” enough. and now fucking MiramAXE pimps it again.

Tuesday, August 17, 2004

7:30 PM

Arclight Theater

6360 Sunset Boulevard

Hollywood, California

Lobby: (323) 464-1478

Jet Li and Donnie Yen will attend the première, which will be presented by Quentin Tarantino

while i am holding this

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/pix/040728dm.jpg

in my hands, i look at the pictures from the Hero re-premiere in LA:

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/new … ews_photos”>http://news.search.yahoo.com/search/news?p=zhang+ziyi&c=news_photos</LINK_TEXT>

tarantino was there, too

I just saw hero last night. It was overall a great movie. Very Tarantino-esq. Some parts were poorly edited though. Some of the fight scenes had crappy editing (probably from MiramAxed) where people dissapeared. But i am very glad i had the chance to see it because if it wasnt for Tarantino i probably never would have. :smiley:

[quote]I just saw hero last night. It was overall a great movie. Very Tarantino-esq. Some parts were poorly edited though. Some of the fight scenes had crappy editing (probably from MiramAxed) where people dissapeared. But i am very glad i had the chance to see it because if it wasnt for Tarantino i probably never would have. :smiley:[/quote]

i dont what ayour talking about where people disappeared? i didnt see any of that when i saw it this afternoon.

[color=Orange]I wonder if Maggie Cheung and Tony Leung attented the premiere? They are two of my favorite actors from Hong Kong. I’ve seen Maggie in person at a screening of IRMA VEP here in San Francisco several years ago. Very cool Lady!!!

8)

so ive read this thread…and im still confused on if theres a longer version…is the one in north american theatres the un cut?..or is there one there one longer?..i see Hero being sold on kungfumovies.net…and im wondering if this is the original…and the one in theatres is cut down to size…

Hi and welcome to the board!

You can find the Hero discussion in the movie board:

http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php?topic=1998.0

If you have questions about the movie, you can ask there.

It is a little bit confusing for new members that we have two hero topics, but this one here was made more for the Hero - QT relation. And the other is for all stuff about the movie.

Have fun here!

[quote=“Konpaku Kenshi”]
I just saw hero last night. It was overall a great movie. Very Tarantino-esq. Some parts were poorly edited though. Some of the fight scenes had crappy editing (probably from MiramAxed) where people dissapeared. But i am very glad i had the chance to see it because if it wasnt for Tarantino i probably never would have.  :smiley:
[/quote]

None of the characters disappeared randomly…but I do agree that some of the fight scenes seemed short. But that’s probably just the way the movie was. I think only one full fight was cut from this version, and the other ones probably weren’t trimmed. Probably

There are 143 more or less important differences…

http://www.schnittberichte.com/display_1708.html

Go to this site and scroll down, you can see pics of every difference. Sure, you can not read the text, but you can SEE the pics.

@ all, please TALK ABOUT THE MOVIE IN THE MOVIE SECTION WHERE WE HAVE THE HERO TOPIC.

Thanx

[quote=“IL_Buono”]

None of the characters disappeared randomly…but I do agree that some of the fight scenes seemed short. But that’s probably just the way the movie was. I think only one full fight was cut from this version, and the other ones probably weren’t trimmed. Probably
[/quote]

In the first fight scene where the police guy has come to arrest Sky (i think that was his name) Sky knocks the policeman fellow down and rests his bladed-stick dealio (sorry i dont know the name) on his shoulder. About a second later the policeman is standing in the back of the line and 2 other people are fighting. I dont know if this was in the un-cut version or not, if it’s just the way it is im sorry for all the confusion.

you have the uncut version if its about 105 minutes long and has a scene by the waterfalls.

click here to read more:

http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php?topic=1998.0

First post!!!

I have to say, I was impressed by Tarantino’s perceptiveness in getting his name associated with Hero, and to a lesser extent Iron Monkey.

He’s clearly realised the problem that films like those present for him – if the public start seeing the original art that he plagiarises, then clearly they’ll realise that the trash he passes off as “movies� is actually just sub-standard copies of other people’s hard work.

So he’s achieved an ingenious solution, which tackles his key target group: The very people who post here.

He has already sold you braying puppets the idea that stealing other people’s ideas displays range and awareness of influences rather than just laziness and lack of talent, and this is the natural next step: to not actually make a film at all but simply to retitle an existing work by a far more talented director with his own name.

Unsurprisingly, the multiplex livestock who post here have swallowed the idea whole and are loudly hooting their approval, even going so far as to call the film “Very Tarantino-esq�. Thus the subterfuge is completed: the brainwashed cattle who already drink tarantino’s piss and smile because he tells them it’s wine actually believe that the original is influenced by the cheap knock-off copy, inventing bizarre counter-intuitive rationales to support their logic.

Well done to Tarantino for cooking up the ultimate in post-modern excrement: having the public applaud him for a film he had nothing to do with and which is far beyond his range. And well done to you grunting dumbo fans around the world for performing the astonishing feats of mental gymnastics required to simultaneously lap up tarantino’s urine and to whine and snivel your cringing approval simply because he tells you to.