Tarantino and The Who

[quote=“roulette67”]
I seem to think Tarantino speaks in the mood. he might say something when he’s in one mood and be like, “I just felt like saying it.” the next day. Without holding some of his statements til the bitter end. Sure he’ll make a quote where he’ll die before he changes it, he’s arrogant. Then he may make a whatever comes to mind response to use just as an example. Like the Who think.

Which i do believe. I’m a Who fan. Not massive. Not even warm. I like some of their songs. Some are great anthems. “My Generation” for one. Townsend was great breaking his guitar apart and setting it on fire. But there were more misses than hits.

Overall. I don’t take everything the man says as law. He’s just a guy who is incredibly talented and richer than I’ll ever be in my lifetime.
[/quote]

What a well-rounded response.

I. Too. Agree. That. Was. A. Sufficient. Post. Regarding. This. Topic.

[quote=“roulette67”]
I seem to think Tarantino speaks in the mood. he might say something when he’s in one mood and be like, “I just felt like saying it.” the next day. Without holding some of his statements til the bitter end. Sure he’ll make a quote where he’ll die before he changes it, he’s arrogant. Then he may make a whatever comes to mind response to use just as an example. Like the Who think.

Which i do believe. I’m a Who fan. Not massive. Not even warm. I like some of their songs. Some are great anthems. “My Generation” for one. Townsend was great breaking his guitar apart and setting it on fire. But there were more misses than hits.

Overall. I don’t take everything the man says as law. He’s just a guy who is incredibly talented and richer than I’ll ever be in my lifetime.
[/quote]

yeah and unlike us, people will constantly discuss every word he sais in public, hehe

[quote=“MiaMsPink”]
The Who was one of the first real rock (and even punk) bands to hit it big in the US.
[/quote]

Awwwwwwww. It is no punk, like cyber-lilli already mentioned. At first they were Mods, they played music for Mods. Their music was Mod. Then they became Rock-Legends. (The question is if it is really Rock what they’re doin’, cause Mods always fought against Rockers :slight_smile: ) How can a band be Punk making music before 1977? :wink:

[quote=“Lode”]
It is no punk, like cyber-lilli already mentioned. How can a band be Punk making music before 1977? :wink:
[/quote]

Exactly. The Who/Sex Pistols. Hmmmm.

[quote=“Lode”]
Awwwwwwww. It is no punk, like cyber-lilli already mentioned. At first they were Mods, they played music for Mods. Their music was Mod. Then they became Rock-Legends. (The question is if it is really Rock what they’re doin’, cause Mods always fought against Rockers :slight_smile: ) How can a band be Punk making music before 1977? :wink:
[/quote]

Hmm. Calm down there mate. Ever heard of the Ramones? Their first single came out in '75. Even then the origins of punk date back to the '60’s. Velvet Underground and then the whole Post New-Wave “British Invasion period” after '75. Even before that there was the Psycadelic era of '65-'68 which was about getting drunk and partying with random psyc moments. There was also Television in '77 aswell, you don’t get more Punk than Tom Verlaine. The Stooges first album came out in '69, as did MC-5’s. So yeah, the Sex Pistols weren’t the first punk band. Far From it. :wink:

Yeah, ok you’re right. You can’t draw real clear lines. If it is 75,76 or 77 doesn’t really matter. But the fact that THE punk started '77 is right, isn’t it? Please don’t ask me what THE real punk is, but i always referred 77 to punkrock. I am not very interested in this hole punk stuff so you could maybe teach a little bit :wink: But to call this psychadelic era in the sixties punk is in my opinions wrong too.

Edit: And when you say origins go back to the 60s, I mean hey, it is everywhere th same.

[quote=“Lode”]
But the fact that THE punk started '77 is right, isn’t it?[/quote]

Hmm. That’s debatable as you can see. If you mean the term “Punk” I really don’t know where that came from. The B-side of the Ramones first single (before Blitzkreig Pop) was called Judy is a Punk. But then again it is down to opinion.

[quote]But to call this psychadelic era in the sixties punk is in my opinions wrong too.[/quote]

Why is that wrong?

[quote]
Edit: And when you say origins go back to the 60s, I mean hey, it is everywhere th same.
[/quote]

That’s the general point I was trying to make.

All I’m trying to say is that the Sex Pistols weren’t the first. Ever heard “My Generation” by The Who? Well I think that was the first mainstream Punk Song('65). Think about it, it’s about being young, ignoring the old and living your own life.

Also remember that around the time of the Pistols there were hundreds of bands playing in England with the same ideas (or anti-ideas…geddit?) dress style, attitude. Even in America aswell (minus the whole anti-monarchy thing the Pistols had goin on) with bands such as The Ramones, Stooges, Rocket From the Tombs, MC-5, Television, The Dead Boys, Iggy, Blondie, Talking Heads. (Yes, these can all be considered)

But yeah, Punk is a vague as emo or grunge. Remember though, the punk you’re talking about only lasted to the mid '80’s. After that there were so many branches… New Wave, Neo Wave, No-Wave, Grunge, Post Punk etc… You get the picture

[quote=“j_c”]
Hmm. That’s debatable as you can see. If you mean the term “Punk” I really don’t know where that came from. The B-side of the Ramones first single (before Blitzkreig Pop) was called Judy is a Punk. But then again it is down to opinion.

Why is that wrong?

That’s the general point I was trying to make.

All I’m trying to say is that the Sex Pistols weren’t the first. Ever heard “My Generation” by The Who? Well I think that was the first mainstream Punk Song('65). Think about it, it’s about being young, ignoring the old and living your own life.

Also remember that around the time of the Pistols there were hundreds of bands playing in England with the same ideas (or anti-ideas…geddit?) dress style, attitude. Even in America aswell (minus the whole anti-monarchy thing the Pistols had goin on) with bands such as The Ramones, Stooges, Rocket From the Tombs, MC-5, Television, The Dead Boys, Iggy, Blondie, Talking Heads. (Yes, these can all be considered)

But yeah, Punk is a vague as emo or grunge. Remember though, the punk you’re talking about only lasted to the mid '80’s. After that there were so many branches… New Wave, Neo Wave, No-Wave, Grunge, Post Punk etc… You get the picture
[/quote]

How old are you, if you don’t mind me asking?

It doesnt matter whether I was around at the time or not.

I know my statements are bold… meh.

[quote]But to call this psychadelic era in the sixties punk is in my opinions wrong too.
[quote]Why is that wrong?[/quote][/quote]

The question is what you’re thinking of to be punk. And I think you answer it with your next statement:

[quote]All I’m trying to say is that the Sex Pistols weren’t the first. Ever heard “My Generation” by The Who? Well I think that was the first mainstream Punk Song('65). Think about it, it’s about being young, ignoring the old and living your own life.[/quote]

But exactly the was it to be Mod, or almost the same. Ever seen the movie Quadrophenia? And to call Mods being Punks is not right. Cause one of the biggest facts next to the way of life was the music they heard. And this was Mod and Soul and a little Ska. And as far as I know was the Who a Mod Band till the left the Subculture.

So the point isn’t that I don’t agree to you, but that I believe that The Who was never a punk band :wink:

I think that Punk is more of an attitude rather than a dress sense or whatever.

Lets agree to disagree :slight_smile: :wink:

Hey, i mean, every subculture isn’t itself because of what they’re wearin’ in it. The punks have an attitude, the mods have on, the skinheads, the psychos…etc. So I wouldn’t say we disagree. But maybe it isn the right thread :slight_smile:

True, but a little debatin’ never hurt anyone. :wink:

True too. And when I think about it again it came to my mind that this is the right thread for this little discussion :wink:

lol suppose so.

So… The Who? Favourite Songs? I love the bassline in “The Real Me”. What do we all think “Baba O’Riley” is about? My best theory is that the guy is going to war. “Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals” etc

Yeah. Could be. By the way is Baba O’Riley one of my favourite Who songs. Of course I do love My generation and If the kids are alright. But I also prefer Boris the Spider. Funny thing

[quote=“j_c”]
Hmm. Calm down there mate. Ever heard of the Ramones? Their first single came out in '75. Even then the origins of punk date back to the '60’s. Velvet Underground and then the whole Post New-Wave “British Invasion period” after '75. Even before that there was the Psycadelic era of '65-'68 which was about getting drunk and partying with random psyc moments. There was also Television in '77 aswell, you don’t get more Punk than Tom Verlaine. The Stooges first album came out in '69, as did MC-5’s. So yeah, the Sex Pistols weren’t the first punk band. Far From it. :wink:
[/quote]

I had a picture of the sexpistols on my desktop,and I've been into their music lately. I wasn't thinking and they are all that came to mind. I HAD A BRAIN FART.!!!

I must and wholeheartedly aree with this above. I cower away in shame. To think I have loads of the banana album of Velvet underground and my computer is full of the Ramones. RIP man. Gabba gabba hey.

I must disagree that the Who did ANYTHING punk. They didn’t have the attitude, defiance, distinctive need to be Anything that was even concidered socially acceptable. At least that’s the punk I remember.

[quote=“roulette67”]
I must disagree that the Who did ANYTHING punk. They didn’t have the attitude, defiance, distinctive need to be Anything that was even concidered socially acceptable. At least that’s the punk I remember.
[/quote]

For all this is it to be punk. But all subcultures don’t accept the authority and so on. They wanted to confine from the society. And this weren’t only the punks. And it is a fact that they were a later subculture than the mods and the skinheads.