Spielberg - yay or nay?

It’s rather yay than nay.

i’ll give a definite yay…it seems that people are stuck on this thing that Speilberg has to make all his movie with some kind of childlike wonderment…the guy makes a few serious pictures and he for some reason gets all this hate…I love his early work, the classics…but i also like most of his newer pictures aswell…Munich, Catch me if you can, Minority report…all good movies

oh…and The Thin Red line is NOT better than Saving Private Ryan

[quote=“Movie_Villain”]
oh…and The Thin Red line is NOT better than Saving Private Ryan
[/quote]

Tell 'em, steve-dave!

bar the normandy landing saving private ryan is shit…THERE I SAID IT! ;D

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]
bar the normandy landing saving private ryan is shit…THERE I SAID IT! ;D
[/quote]

What exactly is so good about the Normandy landing and not the rest? To me that’s just an action-operatic opening…and while as magnificent as it is, I enjoy everything that comes later just as much and even more as we get to know the characters.

It’s got everything you could ever want from an action film and remains completely cohesive unlike a lot of those types of movies…you see everything and are able to follow every character along the way etc. Snipers, stand-offs, ambushes, epic battles, one-on-one battles, sub-missions, the lot!

Fuck Steven Spielberg! He’s remaking “Harvey”!!! “Harvey” he’s remaking! He’s gonna cast that pussy Tom Hanks, I bet! Tom Hanks is shit! He’s no Jimmy Stewart! Fuck them all!

Harvey (1950) - News - IMDb

I also heard they are remaking Jane Eyre! WHAT! WHAT!

Who could replace Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles! What is wrong with these people!

Why can’t they be originals like our Tarantino’s and Pt Anderson’s!!!

I"M SO ANGRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
Fuck Steven Spielberg! He’s remaking “Harvey”!!! “Harvey” he’s remaking! He’s gonna cast that pussy Tom Hanks, I bet! Tom Hanks is shit! He’s no Jimmy Stewart! Fuck them all!

Harvey (1950) - News - IMDb

I also heard they are remaking Jane Eyre! WHAT! WHAT!

Who could replace Joan Fontaine and Orson Welles! What is wrong with these people!

Why can’t they be originals like our Tarantino’s and Pt Anderson’s!!!

I"M SO ANGRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!! >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
[/quote]

Tom Hanks already expressed he wants no part in it.

It'll probably go to Will Smith and then everybody will go see it and Spielberg will laugh evilly from his dark tower.

Will Smith?!

Ewww! Talk about an overrated actor. The only thing he can do is look sad at the camera. He has charm in his roles, and he’s very likeable - I’ll admit. No way he can stand against Jimmy Stewart though. Spielberg has the same power that Cecil B. Demille had back in the day. I don’t like Spielberg, I don’t like his films and he’s very pretentious, like he’s the god of filmmaking or something. He made a couple of good pictures - so what? His specialty is blockbuster movies and films about WW 2. Well, Spielberg is damn good, but I still don’t like him!

Why?

Cuz.

He has too much power and influence. And I love writer/directors best.

He’s good at making money.

Not at making films.

He knows which buttons to push in audiences and uses it to his advantage when making a film.

He’s a very talented businessman.

Well, I wouldnt put him on my “favorite directors” list, thats for sure, but he does have a couple of good films.Jaws,Duel, and Close Encounters On The Third Kind are definitely my favorite out of the bunch.

Also i’ve heard that he’s remaking Oldboy with Will Smith.

[quote=“me”]
Well, I wouldnt put him on my “favorite directors” list, thats for sure, but he have a couple of good films.Jaws,Duel, and Close Encounters On The Third Kind are definitely my favorite out of the bunch.

Also i’ve heard that he’s remaking Oldboy with Will Smith.
[/quote]

Duel, fuck yeah! My fave Spielberg flick.

I wish more directors would adapt stage plays into screenplays. The most recent was “Doubt” with Phill Hoffman and Streep. I loved that movie. Instead remaking everything, they should look for new properties to adapt if they don’t have screenwriters with imaginations.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
I wish more directors would adapt stage plays into screenplays. The most recent was “Doubt” with Phill Hoffman and Streep. I loved that movie. Instead remaking everything, they should look for new properties to adapt if they don’t have screenwriters with imaginations.
[/quote]

Actually, I believe it should be Phil Hoffman. Only one L in his name, if my memory serves me correctly.

Big yay for Spielberg. So many classics! And what’s wrong with the childish things? Spielberg and Lucas influenced so much my childhood, they made me as I am today. And how many other generations too?

And stop your remakes ranting, the old movies will still be there. There is no replacement.

Well EXCUSE - ME!

Phil Hoffman.

Just spell it like this: Phil-up See-more Hoff-man. :slight_smile:

I think what Hollywood is missing more than ever is an intellectual. Back in the day they had refined filmmakers like Orson Welles and Joseph Mankiewicz who were very intelligent people. Orson had a grand political view on politics and filmmaking and Joseph Mankiewicz had that too, and mostly in the writing aspect of film - in terms of what it meant and how it stood against all literature, his films are very existensial. The filmmakers of today are so engrossed with themselves, and only excel in promoting their material. It’s as if all thought in the craft itself has waned, Hollywood is filled to the brim with pretentious people who give thought to themselves. There was something selfless about Hollywood movies back in the day, people at least cared about quality. Now they just throw out movies with CGI and they call it art. Film has survived Broadway, and television, and now they even compete with videogames. There’s more heart in the theatre than in film these days. Broadway plays thrive on the quality of a performance and the writing and direction. Just some mixed feeling I get sometimes.

Media killed everything. They make “stars” out of non-talented people for no f’n reason. The Hills, Hilton, etc. Who are they again and why are they on my fuckin’ t.v. screen? Hollywood never gave the respect Orson deserved, but now they put Paris Hilton in a remake upon a remake, based on a book, that was a remake. Oh and slam in some CGI too, and make some money. I hate it.

Also they make Spielberg into the “Best Director Ever” shit, and that is stupid. Why is he the best, because the walking zombies that are the population of people are warped into what they put on t.v. and that he makes alot of money. Is that why he is the best? That is bullshit.

Art cinema is dead my friends. Here comes the downfall of movies as we know it. Hey atleast Hollywood would go down with it.

Hollywood wouldn’t go down. That fucker would thrive, feeding off of the moronic general movie going population like a parasite, thus sending such masterpieces as GI Joe to the top of the US box office.

At this point I just want studios, sorry, corporations, to put some honest fucking effort into making good movies. Not great movies mind you, simply movies that at the very least watch like the people that made it put some effort into the process, regardless of the result. Even if they sweat and bleed over the celluloid you never feel like it anymore when you see them.

Spielberg wasn’t a businessman when he made his early films. He was too afraid they were going to fail.

And besides, calling Spielberg just a businessman makes no sense…

…when you have Mr. George Lucas. Lucas directed only the first film of the original saga. The rest he just sat back and Executive Produced. You know, I don’t think he even likes directing. He was always just a businessman.

Also: please don’t compare Spielberg to G.I. Joe and McG and Brett Ratner and all that is wrong with Hollywood. He’s not on their level, that is for sure.