Seen Inglourious Basterds? Post Here (Spoilers Within)

[quote=“Ify”]
EDIT: I think the second tune was the one that plays after The Bride sticks her sword in that one crazy 88 member, and then walks around with it still in lodged in his body. It’s like suspenseful sounding music, it’s the best way I can describe it. I’m too tired to even think properly :frowning:
[/quote]

Sounds like the “White Lightning” bit.

Thanks again for the info. I wanted to keep this in mind so I won’t be taken out of the movie when I see it…Unlike Johnathan Ross . ;D

yeah i dont know why but it kind of didnt feel like a tarantino film allot of the time. but to be honest i think that is a good thing in itself. theres no point repeating yourself. obviously some of the dialogue and shots were tarantinoesque. i loved it. ill definitely be seeing this again. great to see hitler getting shot to shit ha so funny. the scene with the cinema burning down and the two basterds riddling everyone trying to escape was epic. it was so intense.

unlike death proof that had some cringeworthy acting from some of the “actors” i really couldn fault anyone in this movie.

[quote=“Stiglitz”]
Went to check it out expecting a huge ass review but instead…pretty minimal.

What was your favorite part? How does it compare to all his other films (what ratings did you give his other films?) You think Waltz deserves an Oscar? Was Brad Pitt funny or borderline annoying? Was Eli Roth all right? What was the major flaw?

[/quote]

Eli Roth was a pretty much a joke. His Boston accent sucked hard.

The major flaw was it’s uneven pacing.

Brad Pitt is a strong comedic actor and in this there were some pretty good laughs from him.

My favorite part was the entire last chapter. Tarantino’s camerawork in the last chapter made me cream my jeans. It’s totally on par with Brian De Palma’s self-masturbating camerawork in Snake Eyes and his stuff in Dressed to Kill/Body Double which I think have some amazing long takes in them. There are a BUNCH in the last chapter.

It feels nothing like any of his other films for the MOST part.

Waltz was good. I’m an anti-Oscar person so I won’t comment on that but he was very good.

My massive review has spoilers in it as you can’t analyze a film without bringing specific points without sounding like a pretentious doorknob.

Also, the trunk shots can be applied to the shots of Raine and Eli looking down at a freshly Swastika’d forehead.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
How the fuck have any of you seen it? It’s not out for wide release yet.

[/quote]

I was at the Canadian premiere.

Can’t speak for anyone else.

i thought the cinema i seen it in today was showing it a week early but there was also another cinema showing the movie too. not because they both showed this film earlier then worldwide release but they actually are the two best cinemas for movies in the city.

also yes the only thing that was a bit of a put off was that it did seem rushed. how can that happen with 150 mins i know! ha i cudv watched more!

Well I warned people that it was nothing like KB just by reading the script, but hey, no one wants to hear me apparently.

I’ve read quite a few reviews now, and I have a pretty bad feeling to be honest. I haven’t seen it yet, but it seems like QT tried too many things in one movie, and the result is a mess in tone and pace, something I didn’t really notice in the script. I hope that’s just people being upset about the whole basterds not featuring much, but I’m frankly worried.

I’m glad to hear that he’s evolving though, maybe it’s a step in an exciting direction?

[quote=“Pinkman”]
Well I warned people that it was nothing like KB just by reading the script, but hey, no one wants to hear me apparently.

I’ve read quite a few reviews now, and I have a pretty bad feeling to be honest. I haven’t seen it yet, but it seems like QT tried too many things in one movie, and the result is a mess in tone and pace, something I didn’t really notice in the script. I hope that’s just people being upset about the whole basterds not featuring much, but I’m frankly worried.

I’m glad to hear that he’s evolving though, maybe it’s a step in an exciting direction?
[/quote]

The script was better.

Thought it was amazing!

I was critical of a lot of death proof so I’m not some QT cheerleader but I really think he’s outdone Kill Bill with this.

I’m too tired to write a more in depth review which i will later but i’d give it 9/10. Its such a celebration of cinema in every sense of the word, i’m gonna be checking this out a few times before it leaves the cinema.

Some of the best camerawork and dialogue we’ve ever seen from the maestro. For my money the basement scene is the greatest thing QT has ever done, absolutely sublime, faultless stuff and the camera work in the final chapter was amazing, tenabrae tracking shots all over the place! I honestly don’t know how you can love cinema and not love this movie!

A great blend of the post-modern grindhouse flourishes mixed with more serious content - QT armed witha decent plot is unstoppable.

[quote=“F.W.”]
The script was better.
[/quote]

Ooooooh that’s no good.

Thanks for answering my questions :smiley:

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]
Some of the best camerawork and dialogue we’ve ever seen from the maestro. For my money the basement scene is the greatest thing QT has ever done, absolutely sublime, faultless stuff and the camera work in the final chapter was amazing, tenabrae tracking shots all over the place! I honestly don’t know how you can love cinema and not love this movie!

[/quote]

Tenebrae!?!?! He was totally on a De Palma-like hard-on, man. The Bowie Montage, the lobby scenes were deliciously DP.

Tenebrae is awesome, though. I just don’t it’s a comparable film to that chapter.

Inglourios Basterds is gonna suck.

[quote=“F.W.”]
Tenebrae!?!?! He was totally on a De Palma-like hard-on, man. The Bowie Montage, the lobby scenes were deliciously DP.

Tenebrae is awesome, though. I just don’t it’s a comparable film to that chapter.
[/quote]

De Palma was all over it too but I got a bit of a tenabrae vibe of the cinema foyer shots and in even some suspiria style stuff with shoshanna walking through corridors.

The sit down with Zoeller, Landa, Shosanna and Goebells reminded me of something that I can’t remember with the inserts of the cream cakes and stuff. I even think he might have got some luis bunuel stuff out for that.

[quote=“dandadub”]
also yes the only thing that was a bit of a put off was that it did seem rushed. how can that happen with 150 mins i know! ha i cudv watched more!
[/quote]

Had he not put himself into a rushed production for Cannes and taken as much time as he’d put into Death Proof, could you see this being a better movie? God knows in reading the script the last thing I thought was that it was rushed.

[quote=“F.W.”]
The major flaw was it’s uneven pacing.
[/quote]

Yeah, I have to agree. The pacing was all over the place. Even the flashbacks, which QT normally does very well, felt very rushed. It’s a shame really, he didn’t HAVE to and HAVE to release it in time for Cannes, I’d much rather see a solid end effort, than a rushed work. Saying that, not all of it felt rushed, but it did feel like things were added on at the end of production and it definitely changed the dynamic of the film. I would go so far as to say that the film would have been better if he took more time with it.

I hope I can go watch it again today, as I will be able to watch it objectively and won’t have to worry about the plot. So I will be able to concentrate on a whole lot of other stuff.

The build-up and climax of the La Louisianne was mindblowing, one of the greatest QT scenes.

[quote=“F.W.”]
Also, the trunk shots can be applied to the shots of Raine and Eli looking down at a freshly Swastika’d forehead.
[/quote]

Yeah, I thought about that. But it’s just not the same without some sort of vehicle :smiley:

[quote=“Ify”]
Yeah, I have to agree. The pacing was all over the place. Even the flashbacks, which QT normally does very well, felt very rushed. It’s a shame really, he didn’t HAVE to and HAVE to release it in time for Cannes, I’d much rather see a solid end effort, than a rushed work. Saying that, not all of it felt rushed, but it did feel like things were added on at the end of production and it definitely changed the dynamic of the film. I would go so far as to say that the film would have been better if he took more time with it.

I hope I can go watch it again today, as I will be able to watch it objectively and won’t have to worry about the plot. So I will be able to concentrate on a whole lot of other stuff.

The build-up and climax of the La Louisianne was mindblowing, one of the greatest QT scenes.

Yeah, I thought about that. But it’s just not the same without some sort of vehicle :smiley:
[/quote]

Absolutely the film would've been better if he took more time with it. It suffered from the same problems a student film made on a deadline suffers from and that doesn't turn out so good.

That being said, he still got a bunch of good scene in like the bar scene and the entirety of the last chapter and the climax of the opening scene.

He also still got his point across. I just wish it had become what the script suggested it was going to be. It got there but some of it suffered in the process.

That being said in my analysis I'd still say the theme and point it comes to is great.

[quote=“Braveheart”]
Inglourios Basterds is gonna suck.
[/quote]

this coming from someone that thinks that braveheart (no doubt a good film) is the best film ever???

[quote=“dandadub”]
this coming from someone that thinks that braveheart (no doubt a good film) is the best film ever???
[/quote]

Ignore him.

[quote=“dandadub”]
[/quote]

Ignore him, he’s just trying to cause trouble.

I’m going to go watch IB again in 3 hours. This time, I’m going to make sure I don’t need a piss all the way through the movie. I’m just going to relax, and take it ALL in. Hopefully, as soon as I return, I will have a mini-review up with a rating. Again, I can’t fucking wait ;D

I think a lot of peoples problem in here with the film might be that they’ve read the script before hand. This is the type of film thats best experienced on a visceral level - plot plays a much bigger part in it than say Kill Bill. I think the chapter structure tidies up a lot of the pacing issues although I did find certain cuts to be jarring. I could definitely see how it could have been turned into a mini series but i’m glad its a movie, would be nice to see the extra stuff at some point though. Everyone has been so muted with their praise but its up there with There Will be Blood as my favourite film of the decade.