Samuel L. Jackson....Narrator?

i agree with u guys, its gonna be great. hes got such a distinctive and strong voice, it will be crazy.

I watched Pulp Fiction last night and when he said his famous “Cain” line in his nice soft voice, I knew that Sam is the right choice to narrate the film. Not that anyone cares what I think, but it just dawned on me very clearly when I saw that. Sam Jackson is perfect.

I’d actually prefer if there was no narrator at all in this film. I don’t think it needs one. I don’t like the idea of one coming over the soundtrack.

But there’s already a written part for a character known as “Narrator”. Actually film narration was a bit of a trademark in the old 40s/50s films. Like Casablanca has some expositional narration in the beginning. In All About Eve there is some narration in the opening and in some other points in the film. QT is bringing that element back into modern cinema.

I know there was a part written, but I just think it’s there for the sake of it. Plus I think it’ll be corny here.

I give up…I’m onna make me some breakfast.

I guess it’s a story-telling device he’s fond of. He used it in Kill Bill, and liked it so has decided to use it again. It was very effective in Kill Bill, it added to the post-modernity aspect. I liked how in the trailer we see The Bride narrating as an on-screen presence, and we see this very thing in the actual film as well. I think it suited the film.

With regards to Inglourious Basterds, I haven’t read the whole script so can’t say whether I think it’s a fitting addition. However, from what I have seen and heard of the film thus far, it seems like it will work. I mean Kill Bill set in WWII with hints of Pulp Fiction - is there any compliment higher than this?

This is why I love Quentin Tarantino as a filmmaker. He’s very exciting and non-conventional, I can’t think of any other director who would have made Kill Bill. He has all these aspects in his films, it’s incredible. I’ve read how a lot of people just want a simple film with no flourishes, indeed, I myself once stated I wanted IB to be his most serious film. But I mean after Kill Bill (where QT just exploded!!), and after thinking about it some - how there are far too many serious WWII films - I realised that I actually want something I have never seen before. So if the jump from Death Proof to Inglourious Basterds is similar in ambition to the jump from Jackie Brown to Kill Bill… I’ll be one happy man this summer.

Well in Kill Bill it was The Bride that narrated her events in Kill Bill, sort of like keeping the audience binded with what she is going to do next and also it is used to introduce some of her villains. In IB it’s used very differently, it’s almost like an “intrusive narrator” device that is used in novels – the narrator is more of a spectator in the screenplay and provides colorful commentary about the film or certain events. So the narration aspect in KB differs vastly from that of IB.

Oh, you mean like that lady on a seperate audio track on DVDs who describes everything? ;D

Huh?

Well the Narrator also shows what some of the character’s are thinking.

it’s not that significant a narration that it should even be an issue. He’s used to intro a few characters and to express some inner thoughts. I was excited when there was rumor of Bob Dylan doing the narration, but I think Sam Jackson’s an obvious choice, to which I am excited.

[quote=“Ify”]
I didn’t know I had to be so specific :o
[/quote]

::slight_smile: Specific??? We’ve gone to great pains not to be considered british…

Ireland - Wikipedia

Who the hell wants to hear some “British” guy’s voice? I think SLJ’s voice will be great. Just because he screams and curses on certain movies doesn’t mean he can’t have a calm smoothing voice.

The best narrator is Dave Lamb…

If you’re not British, you just couldn’t understand :slight_smile:

[quote=“Cyd Novak”]
The best narrator is Dave Lamb…

If you’re not British, you just couldn’t understand :slight_smile:[/quote]

If it wasn’t for his narration, that programme would have led to countless suicides by now :wink:

OMFG, Morgan Freeman should had been picked! his voice is awesome.

HEY GUYS - Not sure if you know this but Sam Jackson does excellent narration in “Respect Yourself: The Stax Records Story”, which is also an exceptional documentary on a legendary record company.

Since Goebbels propaganda plays a significant role in IB, I think using a black man’s voice to narrate is perfect. Although I must say, I think Keith David has a perfect voice for narration.

Nah, Sam is the perfect narrator for a QT movie

Freeman’s done one to many voiceovers

[quote=“¤Lone¤Mutt¤”]
OMFG, Morgan Freeman should had been picked! his voice is awesome.
[/quote]

Right on.

[quote=“Cyd”]
Right on.
[/quote]

Still… SLJ is my first pick… my 2nd pick is Morgan Freeman ">.>