Roger Ebert finally reviewed GRINDHOUSE

think eberts review was fair and well informed. I think were DP falls down is just that the chicks who are meant to be likeable aren’t likeable at all. I was rooting for stuntman mike all through it cause he was just so damn entertaining.

I think QT planned it so people would feel conflicted about Mike. If he wanted to make him a typical black and white “bad guy” who you hated, he couldve gone that way. He purposely gave Mike a semi-likeable personality and didnt make him the standard no personality boogeyman. It makes the entire movie more interesting to me. At the end you almost feel a little bad for him, as if the girls are preying on HIM. But I disagree about the girls not being likeable. The first group arent overly likeable, but the 2nd group def are fun to hang out with.

The use of Stuntman Mike for me, is similar what Scorsese does with the characters in his gangster films. But in Death proof I rooted for both the girls and Mike, while in most of Scorsese’s gangster flick I rooted for the “bad” guy.

[quote=“Bad Max”]
Knowxvill, shut up and go watch som Michael Gay movies
[/quote]

Will you come over and watch some TJ Hooker with me?

You should go and get TJ:d by a hooker.

Toe Job?

Tit jerked, toe-job… It’s all good.

Roger Ebert would know about the obscure Beyond the Valley of the Dolls reference because he co-wrote it :stuck_out_tongue:

Whether or not I agree with the review, I respect Ebert for the most part. He’s a cool guy. And he was good friends with Meyer, which makes him even cooler.

I agree with the review, I enjoyed Grindhouse, but it wasn’t a film worth getting excited over. You don’t have to argue with me, just look at the decrease of traffic on this board since its release. This place was packed after the release of KB 1 and 2.

I think the general public is getting sick of Tarantino, during the scream awards they didn’t seem to enthused by his drunken ramblings, they actually applauded RR more. Hell they applauded Seth Rogan more for gods sakes!

I can listen to Tarantino talk movies all day long, I can watch his movies reference other movies all day long, but when actresses in his movies reference other movies that inspire scenes in the movie they are in, that is pretty wack.

So it doesn’t matter that the characters themselves are stuntpeople and gearheads talking about specific kinds of movies that pertain to their lives, their profession?

Do you feel the same way when Mr. Orange and Nice Guy Eddie and Mr. White and Mr. Pink are talking about Get Christie Love?

That is a good point, but I will say that it flowed better in Dogs. For one we don’t know the time period of the film, so it could be current events. Second it is guys talking about women, so even if we don’t know the films, an outsider can still enjoy it.

In DP it stands out because, we have two scenes, both of which people are talking to people in the film who don’t really care, and the majority of film watchers won’t have a clue as to the films mentioned. It just doesn’t have the genius diologue I’m used to from QT.

It’s present day in Reservoir Dogs. Otherwise there wouldn’t be any nostalgia when they’re talking about K-BILLY’s SUPER SOUNDS OF THE 70s. Get Christie Love is another product of the 70s.

When a character talks to another character about a movie that they never heard about… that’s REAL. Every character has their own dynamic. If every character has an encyclopedic knowledge of something, where’s the interest? They would at least have to disagree about some aspect of it, then.

I really think it all falls on the point that it’s men in Reservoir Dogs, and women in Death Proof, and for some reason more people have a problem listening to women in a movie than to men in a movie, and that’s just a crock of shit.

[quote=“HostOfThreads”]
I agree with the review, I enjoyed Grindhouse, but it wasn’t a film worth getting excited over. You don’t have to argue with me, just look at the decrease of traffic on this board since its release. This place was packed after the release of KB 1 and 2.

[/quote]
No the reason alot of the members are gone is because they are tired of the trolls who keep coming on here and posting shit. Plus a lot of people who usually would hate Tarantino actually enjoyed Grindhouse and Grindhouse got mainly good reviews.

[quote=“me”]
No the reason alot of the members are gone is because they are tired of the trolls who keep coming on here and posting shit. Plus a lot of people who usually would hate Tarantino actually enjoyed Grindhouse and Grindhouse got mainly good reviews.
[/quote]

Good reviews, not great.

DP needed more CGI, thats why it didnt do as well.

The whole movie would have been better if Michael Bay directed it, I mean, who needs character development, a mood in the film, shots that last longer than 1.2 seconds and a good story?

Max: I agree 100%. The thing QT doesnt have is that Bay quality that everybody wants to see. QT needs to work on being more Bay-esque I think. Its really about $$ at the end of the day. Noone wants to watch a movie thats not a winner at the box office. QT needs to employ more CGI, thats the secret ingredient in great movies today. Hopefully from now on QT will wake up and start writing less dialogue/characters and just load his stuff up with CGI. I say cinema knowledge/love be damned, technology is the future of cinema!

QT should talk with a nasal voice and say it’s a great technical achievement that a computer can make a robot that’s not really there! WHOA it bloooooows YOUR MIND! Doesnt it?

QT really should get together with Mike Bay and discuss filmmaking. Bay could give him some good advice.

Especially in how to film a car chase. Let the car stand still and don’t anything longer than 1 second then it will look like it’s moving and it’s really cool! He could help Quentin with how to make a greenscreen out of things in your home!

And he could help Quentin that serious need-it-in-all-movies president speech no matter how small the incident is. The home of the brave is usually how it starts.