Rodriguez writing to Frank Miller

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
Well there still are a few modern filmmakers with that same integrity - I mean they are the few, but still - every two years or so we get a classic from them. Guys like The Coens, PT, Quentin, etc. I don’t know much about blaxploitation though, I haven’t fully indulged in exploitation cinema - I mean I’ve seen my share of horror films, especially zombie films, but no exploitation films.

The Big Sleep was a very important film for Lauren Bacall, I think her career was in danger and they actually reshot some scenes, I haven’t seen the late version of the film but I liked the original. I like how Marlowe always takes all the guns, you can see where Robert Towne got his ideas to craft Chinatown.
[/quote]

You should totally check out the better blaxploitation movies, they’re great fun. Alot of the exploitation I could care for just because they really aren’t very good but it’s worth going through the shit to find the real gems.

There was a whole fucking thing with the Big Sleep. I don’t know alot about it just that there was alot of stuff reshot and the release was delayed by the studio.

[quote=“LT. Ordell Rodriguez”]
Have you seen the remake of The Postman Always Rings Twice? It was an 80’s flick with Jack Nicholson. Sounds like the Breathless remake.
[/quote]

I usually stay away from remakes of that sort, I think it can ruin the integrity of the original. They also remade Double indemnity in the 70s, it’s on the 2-disc special edition, it depends what DVD you own. I saw the opning scene and it fucking sucked. To remake a classic is a definite crime. If the shit works as is with these fantastic and legendary actors, why fuck with it?

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
Rose McGowan did the show for a week! It was like four to five months ago. Damn you have all these unopened classics!

Another obscure flick that you should check out is “Rain” - a Joan Crawford film she did for the Warner Brothers. Now it starts off a little boring but after Joan makes her first appearence you’ll be glued to your seat. Walter Huston’s performance was a little too rigid - I guess that’s the only thing I hated about the film. But other than that you’ll go insane after it ends. Seriously, you’re going to rewind the film and see that scene again.
[/quote]

Just those noir films I bought then ended up forgetting about when I moved on to something else.

AND RAIN! I’ve seen that movie, I really dug it! Joan Crawford is so great. I’m pretty sure I saw it on TCM actually.

Are you one of those people who watches that channel alot? I know it’s my goto channel whenever I got time to kill or have nothing to do. Love it.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
I usually stay away from remakes of that sort, I think it can ruin the integrity of the original. They also remade Double indemnity in the 70s, it’s on the 2-disc special edition, it depends what DVD you own. I saw the opning scene and it fucking sucked. To remake a classic is a definite crime. If the shit works as is with these fantastic and legendary actors, why fuck with it?
[/quote]

I’d agree with that one hundred percent if I wasn’t such a fan of Breathless. And the original is still there when I get back to it.

You should totally check out the better blaxploitation movies, they’re great fun. Alot of the exploitation I could care for just because they really aren’t very good but it’s worth going through the shit to find the real gems.

There was a whole fucking thing with the Big Sleep. I don’t know alot about it just that there was alot of stuff reshot and the release was delayed by the studio.
[/quote]

I think the most prominent ones were written and directed by Jack Hill, and most of them were Pam Grier vehicles. I've caught glimpses of a few, but to be honest they never fully attracted me, I felt they were a bit shoddy in the structure, it's sort of like saying: "Nevermind the movie, but just sit through it until this and that happens" - and I don't like that, I want a film to grab me from the opening to the very end. Like "Jezebel" had that, it's like a novella from an extinct period where all these pre-Civil War customs existed in the south, and how they were slowly eradicated by the imminent war against the North. The film dealt with so many interesting aspects and beyond that there's excellent direction by William Wyler. I like how he begins most of his film with track shots, I love the opening in Jezebel and The Letter.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]

I think the most prominent ones were written and directed by Jack Hill, and most of them were Pam Grier vehicles. I’ve caught glimpses of a few, but to be honest they never fully attracted me, I felt they were a bit shoddy in the structure, it’s sort of like saying: “Nevermind the movie, but just sit through it until this and that happens” - and I don’t like that, I want a film to grab me from the opening to the very end. Like “Jezebel” had that, it’s like a novella from an extinct period where all these pre-Civil War customs existed in the south, and how they were slowly eradicated by the imminent war against the North. The film dealt with so many interesting aspects and beyond that there’s excellent direction by William Wyler. I like how he begins most of his film with track shots, I love the opening in Jezebel and The Letter.
[/quote]

I agree with that, I guess it’s just about the viewer.

I know I saw The Letter on TCM and really dug it. Jezebel I have on my Netflix queue. I actually looked it up when you put it as your banner. “If somebody likes it that much…” kinda thing.

Just those noir films I bought then ended up forgetting about when I moved on to something else.

AND RAIN! I’ve seen that movie, I really dug it! Joan Crawford is so great. I’m pretty sure I saw it on TCM actually.

Are you one of those people who watches that channel alot? I know it’s my goto channel whenever I got time to kill or have nothing to do. Love it.
[/quote]

Yeah, I mean free classic movies and introductions and interviews with Elvis Mitchell, how can any other station surpass that. Well since you’ve seen Rain (SPOILER) - that ending made me laugh so hard! I just couldn’t believe it! After all this salvation crap the guy goes in there and fucks her. That’s the kind of sardonic humor that John Huston used in most of his movies, I mean the payoff is so beyond absurd -but in a good way, you just didn’t see it coming.

I agree with that, I guess it’s just about the viewer.

I know I saw The Letter on TCM and really dug it. Jezebel I have on my Netflix queue. I actually looked it up when you put it as your banner. “If somebody likes it that much…” kinda thing.
[/quote]

I won’t spoil it for you. But one thing you will remember and love about Jezebel - will be the great soundtrack by Max Steiner. By the Steiner/Wyler collaboration on the musical score in the fucking 30s! Will just show you how ahead William Wyler was of his time. I bought the soundtrack on amazon, and I listen to it all the time, it’s so great.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
I won’t spoil it for you. But one thing you will remember and love about Jezebel - will be the great soundtrack by Max Steiner. By the Steiner/Wyler collaboration on the musical score in the fucking 30s! Will just show you how ahead William Wyler was of his time. I bought the soundtrack on amazon, and I listen to it all the time, it’s so great.
[/quote]

Steiners so fantastic. I was so pleased to see his name in so many of the credits in these older movies. I especially loved his score for Casablanca and the Treasure of the Sierra Madre. You know between the trailer and you my interest has been peeked, I moved it to #1 on my queue.

That tagline in the trailer is so awesome: “The story of a woman who was loved… when she should have been whipped!” Classic. I wish trailers today were like they were in the day. This fast cutting and choir/orchestra shit is getting so old.

Yeah she does some racy stuff.

Bette Davis did a lot of radio plays as much as she did film and stage - I mean she was a woman who loved her craft and worked at it every day. I bought this digital cd on amazon and loaded them on my iPod. I recommend it, it’s great. You can listen to them and just, it’s a great line of material.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.amazon.com/Best-Of-The-Radio … 9&sr=103-1”>Amazon.com</LINK_TEXT>

She also did an album! I couldn’t believe it when I saw it, but she sings and does it quite good, I think. I mean it’s not for everyone, some people will find it lame or something, but it’s unique.

Wanted to hear it but all the samples were of the intros. But where can I hear the album? I love the sound of her voice (too sexy). I’m always looking for good music :slight_smile:.

probably on youtube. I liked three tracks. Mostly the ones she sang in her films like “What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?” and "Hush, Hush…"

But the radio plays are fantastic. If you’re going to buy a track if not the album, I’d get all About Eve, it was performed by all the original cast members.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
probably on youtube. I liked three tracks. Mostly the ones she sang in her films like “What Ever Happened To Baby Jane?” and "Hush, Hush…"

But the radio plays are fantastic. If you’re going to buy a track if not the album, I’d get all About Eve, it was performed by all the original cast members.
[/quote]

I’ll take a look. I did find one album on iTunes called Miss Bette Davis and really dig it. It says she was sixty when she recorded it. Have you heard it?

I think I’ll watch the movies before I listen to the plays. But I have heard a few of those plays. One for Casablanca and the other for The Maltese Falcon. They were alright, I was just happy Bogart (god I love Bogart) performed his part in them. To be honest I’d take the movies any day though.

I’ll take a look. I did find one album on iTunes called Miss Bette Davis and really dig it. It says she was sixty when she recorded it. Have you heard it?

I think I’ll watch the movies before I listen to the plays. But I have heard a few of those plays. One for Casablanca and the other for The Maltese Falcon. They were alright, I was just happy Bogart (god I love Bogart) performed his part in them. To be honest I’d take the movies any day though.
[/quote]

Here's the Hush, Hush performance on live tv:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BYSMuaglvY

Bogart's breakthrough performance was in The Petrified Forest, I got that film about a week ago and it's wonderful, it was adapted by a stageplay. Bette Davis and Leslie Howard star in it as well, you gotta check it out, they also did a film called "Marked Woman", again it's top of the line stuff.

[quote=“Lt. BioBasterd”]
Here’s the Hush, Hush performance on live tv:

- YouTube

Bogart’s breakthrough performance was in The Petrified Forest, I got that film about a week ago and it’s wonderful, it was adapted by a stageplay. Bette Davis and Leslie Howard star in it as well, you gotta check it out, they also did a film called “Marked Woman”, again it’s top of the line stuff.
[/quote]

Cool thanks.

There was a time I was huge on Bogart and did my DVD binge thing watching everything I could and of course The Petrified Forest was among them. He is definitely in my top actors. Although Marked Woman I havn’t heard of. Looks good. On the queue! My vacation is gonna be bitchin’. Only a film geek could spend an entire stay in Florida watching Bette Davis movies.

Mr. Skeffington? Saw it with Hush… Hush and really dug it, although I liked Hush… Hush more. It was such a downer of a movie but really well done, probably why I liked the other one more.

Blaxploitation is officially on hold till I get to watch some of these movies. I’m feeling nostalgic for the golden age thanks to you! Thanks.

Blaxploitation is officially on hold till I get to watch some of these movies. I’m feeling nostalgic for the golden age thanks to you! Thanks.
[/quote]

Don’t give up on Blaxpos just yet! See if there’s anything here you might like.

[quote=“Laydback”]
Don’t give up on Blaxpos just yet! See if there’s anything here you might like.
[/quote]

Don’t worry about me giving it up, it’s one of my favorite genres, just the golden cinema is peaking my interest a little. And thanks for that. I do like.

In case anybodies interested, The Letter is gonna be showing on the 31 at 5:00 am. Thought I’d mention it as long as we were chatting up Bette Davis.