Robert Deniro's character

[quote]In Jackie Brown Deniro’s character is a little slower than the average bear and I heard he is supposed to be the same character that he was in Taxi Driver. Thoughts?[/quote]

uh, isn't Travis Bickle dead? so how, logically that is, [i]can[/i] De Niro be Travis Bickle again? unless they reserrected his corpse and brought him back from the dead, which I doubt.

[quote]

uh, isn’t Travis Bickle dead? so how, logically that is, can De Niro be Travis Bickle again? unless they reserrected his corpse and brought him back from the dead, which I doubt.
[/quote]

No, Travis Bickle ain't dead. Watch the movie again.

I just remembered him getting shot in the neck in the end.

The ending of Taxi Driver is debatable, though I think Travis survived personally. :stuck_out_tongue:

He either survived or went to jail. But the last scene in the Taxi Cab could just be a fantasy sequence.

though this isn’t the taxi driver thread, i’ll post my thoughts anyway. I think he survived and people overanalyze alot of the time…this being one of those times. Just like the dream theory of OUATIA, i don’t believe it for a min.

Now to the Jackie Brown character, DeNiro was perfect for the role. nobody could have done it better.

how could he have survived if he got shot in the neck and was bleeding all over the place like I remember?

I don’t think a shot in the neck is 100% fatal. anyway, it’s just a theory.

He survived and society praised him for ‘cleaning up the streets.’ Which leaves the viewer pondering what he did was heroic of him to act as a vigilante or was he a full blown nutbar psychopath. :wink:

The taxi driver screen writer slagged off kill bill recently. in an interview in independent thats out in uk today

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/film … ory=505030”>http://enjoyment.independent.co.uk/film/interviews/story.jsp?story=505030</LINK_TEXT>

TS: How do your existential heroes compare with Quentin Tarantino’s heroes?

PS: The existential hero asks: “Should I exist?” The ironic hero just “exists”, in quotes. When everything is deconstructed and referenced, a lot of fun and excitement has come out of it. But in the end, I don’t know know nourishing it is. I remember seeing Pulp Fiction and turning to the person next to me and saying: “Everything I’ve done is now out of date, because this hero is now out of date, this hero of Sartre and Camus and Dostoevsky.” But then, if you start going down the road of Pulp Fiction, you’re going to get to Kill Bill (laughter). It’s going to become less and less nourishing, but that’s a fundamental change in the notion of what storytelling is.

i never really questioned whether travis died or not, but after reading this thread i think it could go either way, coz i guessed he survived coz he was on so much drugs that he didnt feel the pain of getting shot in the neck (it was just the side of the neck wasnt it?) so managed to survive till they got him to hospital, but having said that those drugs could have caused a kinda dream sequence of an ending

technically he must have survived or that point about being an anti hero and society is lost.

I think that he may have been having the cab fantasy while the cops were rushing in and Bickle was about to go to jail. Everything about the last scene in the taxi seems too perfect, like Cybil Shepard’s character all of a sudden wanting to be with Travis again and the newspapers regarding him as a hero. But the real way to find out the answer would be to ask Marty Scorsese himself.

Just like in Once Upon A Time in America, Noodle’s trip to 1968 could also very well be all in his head. Leone himself said that it was all an opium trip intended for Noodles to find some kind of closure and to help him get rid of the guilty feelings. I always found the whole “opium fantasy sequence” idea very intriguing and it helps add to the mysteriousness of the film.

I thought Robert De Niro kicked ass in Jackie Brown. I reckon it was his best performance so far.