Quentin Tarantino vs. Roger Avary

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
Yes it was. It wasnt worth it either.
[/quote]

by the end of the day it is impossible to tell the rights from the wrongs in this qt/avary thing. both guys were best friends and wrote screenplays side by side during years…

The thing about Avary is, he’s had plenty of time and chances to write and/or direct some awesome films and he hasnt done anything exce;t Killing Zoe and Rules of Attraction. Both of which I didnt even like.

QTs dialogue and directing style is HIS personal talent. Its not Avary’s. Thats why we’re in the QT forum, not the Avary forum.

How many of us have come up with cool ideas for movies? LOTS. Almost anyone can come up with story ideas, but not everyone can come up with cool story ideas, write great dialogue AND then visually bring those ideas to life.

Yeah, my fascination isn’t of the stories in his films, but of Quentin Tarantino - the auteur.

i think that avary’s script main flaw is a lack of strong structure. and by the end of the day more than his dialog what is so enjoyable about tarantino is that he is such a strong and brilliant storyteller.

I wish they would have stuck together longer. As a team they spun some wonderful stories.

Avary’s busy writing scripts for videogame movies now. He should meet up with uwe Boll and Paul WS Anderson and exchange ideas. HA!

[quote=“Scarface”]
Avary’s busy writing scripts for videogame movies now. He should meet up with uwe Boll and Paul WS Anderson and exchange ideas. HA!
[/quote]

the disrespect is pain…

From Pulp Fiction to Quake: The Roger Avary Story :slight_smile:

[quote=“Ify”]
He fucked him over? If Avary was more talented than Tarantino, his career would be more successful. As it happens, that isn’t the case. Basically, the stories were Avary’s, but QT wrote the dialogue. Furthermore, Avary had nothing to do with Jackie Brown and Kill Bill, yet they are cinematic masterpieces.
[/quote]

tarantino is my favorite director and writer and all but first of all jackie browns story was adapted from a book and kill bill is really has small parts of many kung fu and spaghetti western movies so story wise i dont think he is so great but his diolage and his characters are the great part of his movies.

Knoxville Kingpin just curious your gif. which clint eastwood movie is that from?

[quote=“Scarface”]
[/quote]

Lol.

I’d have to agree with Pete and Ify, if he was better than QT we might not be talking about just QT but the both of them. But Avary whined and bitched and hasn’t done anything that great since.

[quote=“Jjp”]
Knoxville Kingpin just curious your gif. which clint eastwood movie is that from?
[/quote]

If I’m not mistaken I’m pretty sure it’s Thunderbolt and Lightfoot.

I was actually gonna comment on it too. it’s a good movie, i finally saw it a couple days ago.

[quote=“Jjp”]
[/quote]

Yes, thats from Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, one of my favorite movies.

Yeah i’ve been dying to see it but cant find it

I love Thunderbolt and Lightfoot too. Michael Cimino’s debut film!! 8)

***Spoilers for Grindhouse ***

How coincidental that it says Thunderbolt before Death Proof.

"tarantino is my favorite director and writer and all but first of all jackie browns story was adapted from a book and kill bill is really has small parts of many kung fu and spaghetti western movies so story wise i dont think he is so great but his diolage and his characters are the great part of his movies."

Thank you, his storys are good but not great.(with the exception of four rooms, that was a good story and retty much all his) But his dialoage and characters are. Also the way he creates scenes is great, for example: jules and marvin recovering the briefcase in pulp, the intro scene in dogs/ear cutting scene, all the scenes with samuel in jackie brown, his whole segment in four rooms(who else thinks that shit was pure genius) hahahahha that part when norman says his dicks gettin hard cus norman is gonna cut off his finger is pure genius.

And as for avary i consider his contribution to pulp just ideas. MArvin gettin shot, the gold watch bullshit and the bullets missing there targets. Then you look at tarantio he has to create this whole world to fit these storys into(and does a damn good job at it) EVERTHING around avarys ideas is a hell of a lot to make up. So i do thik tarantino deserves the writen and directing credit.

But without avary pulp wouldnt have been as good, so its a toss up.

But then again thats why i started this thread is to see what im thinking is right. Thats why i NEED the PANDEMONIUM REGHNS SCRIPT.

there arent any new stories to be told…great storytellers like tarantino make old stories their own

do u wanna an amazing example? the majority of shakespeare’s plays are based on pre-existing stories, including hamlet, king lear, othelo, and romeu e juliet…its not the story, its the teller.