QT's AIRPLANE MOVIE WITH TRAVOLTA

Here’s a good name:

From Brooklyn to Beruit :wink:

That would be really cool to see Quentin do an Airplane flick with Travolta. For some odd reason, I always imagined Travolta as a pilot. I guess it’s his image as a pilot in Broken Arrow, I swear I think that’s the last Travolta movie that I’ve seen.

-captain… (travolta’s character name)…

with the undertitle: this is your psycho speaking.

• in case of emergency

• flight fiction

• flight flick

• going down

Well, Travolta has a whole fuckin airport built to his house, literally. And he’s obsessed with planes and such. So that’s another reason why he’s perfect for the role.

I wonder if he will play against type. Make Pam the hero type protecting John Travolta. That would be interesting.

Regardless, this sounds pretty Ace. Sure its been done, but not well and not in a while.

[quote]I wonder if he will play against type. Make Pam the hero type protecting John Travolta. That would be interesting.

Regardless, this sounds pretty Ace. Sure its been done, but not well and not in a while.[/quote]

For QT, going against type would be making John the hero instead of a fuck up.

:wink:

How many Airplane movies are there anyway? I don’t mean like the stupid Lesly Nielson shits, I mean Airplane disaster flicks.

[quote]How many Airplane movies are there anyway? I don’t mean like the stupid Lesly Nielson shits, I mean Airplane disaster flicks. [/quote]

The only decent ones I remember are Alive! and Airforce One, but then, throughout most of the mid-late nineties, there were those crappy MTV-ised disaster flicks like Turbulence I, II, and III. I admire QT just for suggesting a movie like this. Just the saying that he’s willing to take a stab at this sub-genre is such a ballsy comment given that these movies tend to suck hard…particularly since he’s gonna get a lot of flack making an airplane movie after 9/11, anyway.

Good point, but i doubt a movie like this will ever be made. I think he was just brainstorming Ideas.

Alive is a movie where the people crash and end up eating each other to stay alive. Based on a real event.

Air Force One is a hijack film, not a disaster film.

QTs film is going to be in the tradition of 70s movies like Airport 77 and movies like that. Irwin Allen disaster movies like The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno. Also the movie Earthquake.

Those films were made up of ensemble casts of classic Hollywood actors all put together in a crisis situation. Very fun movies too.

This project sounds like a perfect opportunity for QT to put together his dream cast of forgotten 70s actors.

[quote]Alive is a movie where the people crash and end up eating each other to stay alive. Based on a real event.

Air Force One is a hijack film, not a disaster film.

QTs film is going to be in the tradition of 70s movies like Airport 77 and movies like that. Irwin Allen disaster movies like The Poseidon Adventure and The Towering Inferno. Also the movie Earthquake. [/quote]

then what makes it a dissaster?

If you asked me…i would say that i would much rather see Tarantino do an origional film that isn’t a homage then see another homage.

[quote] then what makes it a dissaster?[/quote]

Well if youve seen any of those films I mentioned youd see what Im talkin about.

A disaster is something that happens that noone can really control. Like a landslide, a huge fire or a earthquake or a volcano eruption. Youve seen movies like that before.

Airplane disaster films usually have something like an engine failing or a hole in the planes cabin. So the passengers have to deal with it and band together to get through it. But I dont think this movie will deal with an actual crashed airplane. Its not going resemble what happened on 9/11 or anything.

But at this point, who knows if QT will even do this movie. He still has to get thru Inglorious Bastards first. We wont be seeing that for a few years anyway.

[quote]If you asked me…i would say that i would much rather see Tarantino do an origional film that isn’t a homage then see another homage. [/quote]

All of QTs films are homages in one way or another. His airplane disaster film (if he even does one) will reinvent that subgenre I’m sure.

Whats an original film mean? If QT writes the screenplay himself doesnt that make it an original work?

I knew that they were toothpick, but some are homages of a different degree. For Instance, Kill Bill Is clearly a homage to the exploitations.

But Pulp Fiction is not so clearly a homage, and is more of just…well…QT. There’s a deep story in PF that QT wrote by himself. KB was written by him, but dosen’t have his seem to have QT’s quality in it. There isn’t the long parts of just dialogue. RD and PF and even JB have long pars of language, and just seem very QT. KB dosen’t seem as much of a Tarantino film, it’s just a homage. Without all of the QT aspects in it. IMO.

I agree with Starkey.

I’d just rather see Tarantino do flat out Tarantino. Something where the story flows through the dialogue and not action (an airplane movie would resemble Kill Bill as in I see the action flowing the story…whereas not the dialogue)

I’d love for him to do another crime film like Pulp Fiction…I want him to do one because for all his new ideas I can kinda “see” what it may be like…but another Pulp like movie? I have no idea what he’d do there, but I bet it’d be genius!

But Pulp Fiction IS a homage to pulp fiction stories, be they pulp novels or pulp movies.

He took the oldest chesnuts in the book and reivented them:

the boxer that refuses to throw the fight, the guy on the date with the big man’s wife, the gunman trying to go straight.

These are really old pulp stories. He just did them his way.

But PF was clearly a QT movie. I think we’re arguing the wrong thing here.

I would rather see QT direct a movie with more dialogue, a movie like PF, then see him do another movie like KB. Don’t get me worng, i loved KB. But I think he should go back to his roots, in a sence, by making a movie like PF or RD. It isn’t like I don’t want to see him expand, I just think that him making the Airplane dissaster film would put him in the wrong direction.

[quote] I just think that him making the Airplane dissaster film would put him in the wrong direction. [/quote]

It is definetely more of a mainstream audience type of film.

but really, I don’t see Pulp as a homage to older crime stories. One, cause no cares about those old books and two, never have I ever read/seen any of these supposed “pulp stories” that inspired Pulp Fiction. Nor I think has anyone else. People talk about this “Black Mask” or whatever that Tarantino said was like his Pulp Fiction…but I’ve never seen it, and I don’t think anyone else has either. And if you have, I’d like to see the connections.

To me Pulp Fiction was starting a whole new genre of crime films…there were harldy any good  crime movies before Pulp and Dogs that had good dialogue like Tarantino’s…look at all the films that have been coming out that are obviously inspired by Tarantino’s 1st two movies (some are inspired in a good way, some arn’t) He started a whole new way of making films.

I just don’t see Pulp being a homage, I see films paying homage to it instead.

Cause I’ve never seen one film that was made before Pulp Fiction that was anything like Pulp Fiction.

the word “homage” is thrown around way too much with Tarantino. I think its his way of saying, “Stealing” :smiley:

All I know is that I would be happier seeing Tarantino Direct a Film more centered around dialogue rather then a homage to a a genre of film I am not really familar with. I just can’t see this type of movie going anywhere, but I could be wrong.