QT on Turner Classic Movies

[quote=“Sebastian”]
How long is that show?
[/quote]

30 minutes. But as others have said, it feels like 15 minutes.

Wow, I haven´t seen it.

Can anyone post the names of the favourite movies he mentioned.

Which films of Almodovar, Douglas Sirk, Judy Garland, Aldo Ray, Ralph Meeker, Cary Grant, John Sturges, Vincent Minnelli, Scorsese he named.

What did he say about Raiders of the Lost Ark?

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=201677

Woops, your out of luck. no video.

Judy Garland he showed “Meet Me In St. Louis” - he saw that film with his girlfriend,a dn The Aldo Ray film was…er…damn i forgot.

the subject was melodrama and how he loved it and how it is impossible to show it to audiences today. Almdovar is the only guy who can do it…this interview is at least 3 months old.

it was the marrying kind, by george Cukor, with Judy Holliday (check out The bells are Ringing by Minelli… her costar in this film is Dean Martin… fantastic film!)

does anybody owns a copy?

I heard he said that magnificent obsession is his favourite movie th show an younger audience …

of marrying kind? i do have an old videotape but the film is out on DVD now.

[quote=“BioBasterd”]
the subject was melodrama and how he loved it and how it is impossible to show it to audiences today.
[/quote]

100% correct. This is because we live in a time where audiences are oversaturated by TVs and movies’ ficional drama. This is part of the reason why cold hearted cynical bastards and bitches today roll their eyes at “old school” movie meldodrama. May they all die horribly along with their degenerated zeitgeist.

Kenneth Brannigan - sharing wisdom since 1985.

is that cowboy wisdom? ;D

i remember an interview back when pulp was released. qt was saying that almodovar’s films are melodramas but that he adds some kind of distance to the genre, so he can make it acceptable to the modern audience. according to him, the only modern director who has the same serious approach than the masters from the 40s and the 50s was John Woo. which is true, when i went to see the killer in theater half the audience was laughing out loud during the serious scenes !

[quote=“tonyanthony”]
which is true, when i went to see the killer in theater half the audience was laughing out loud during the serious scenes !
[/quote]

OMG, I watched The Killer too in a theater, only in my case the WHOLE audience was laughing it’s ass off. That’s what I find sickening as hell. That BY FUCKING FAR the worst movie-going experience I ever had, because it made me loose hope in young people today. Sure the rotten translation in the subtitles (“Dumbo” and “Mickey Mouse” as the protagonists nicknames, WTF?) added some unwanted humour, but the whole damn thing was a serious DRAMA, for fucks sake! Soon after, I wrote a script about a guy who kills asshole teenagers that raped and killed his girlriend. But I’m still not over my traumatic movie-going experience yet.

True story.

I mean those basterds where laughing in the scene were two main characters were blinded and robbing on the floor, searching for each other. It was heartbreaking, but not as heartbreaking as hearing those assholes laugh at it like they are watching the funniest scene ever.

it’s amazing, I had the exact same experience.

what was sad was also that the theater was almost empty, and it was opening day! first day The Killer opens, 30 persons go to see it and half of them sound like they are watching a fucking Seinfeld marathon! horrible!

it ruined the film for me, i couldn’t watch it for years because of that.

Thank you for the informations.

I was asking about someone who has a copy of the elvis mitchell interview with qt and can write the interview down here …

Nah, that’s probably on the TCM archives now. Maybe wait for summer re-runs?

Ok, he said that he is not a fan of j. huston, but he listed “roy bean” and “asphalt jungle” in hs coolest movie of alltime list.

he listed roy bean because of John Milius’ screenplay – he actually thinks Huston fucked up the script… the list with asphalt jungle is old… he also said his favorite film from huston is Prizzi’s honor. but he hates afriquan queen and Wise Blood (!!!). basically he says he can’t take huston seriously because he made a lot of films with his left hand. and because he was more interested by hunting than cinema.

I didn´t know that, thanks.

I remember him saying roy bean is his favourite script.

What did he say about bogart?

in the same interview he basically said “i could talk all night about Bogart in the big sleep and to have and have not (as opposed to the Maltese Falcon)”. so i assume it means he likes him//

about roy bean, he met John Milius when he was in his early 20s, he was pretenting to write a book about a bunch of directors. it was supposed to be called Inglorious Bastard or Cinéma Outrageant. he met Milius, Joe Dante, John Flyn… milius said that the script was one of his personal favorite but that he hated the film and he gave quentin his original screenplay. Qt loved it so much he later said he couldn’t watch the film anymore!

Ok, he loves hawks.

What did he say about douglas sirk and about J. sturges?

have a look at this, there are several interviews where he talks about influences

www.tarantino.info/wiki/index.php/Interviews

check the interview with Brian Helgeland re: preston sturges…

I so still have this episode, but I recorded it by Tivo and I can’t find a way to rip it. If anyone has an idea, please let me know!