Pulp Fiction's overall message

pulp fiction is all about values. vince is obsessed with respect, and jules with faith, the gimp was obsessed with man sex, butch was obsessed with honer because he was determined to get his daddys watch and he didnt throw the fight, fabion was obsessed with her tummy, the wolf is obsessed with perfection, marcelos’s value is debt.

Pulp Fiction is all about choosing McDonalds over Burger King.

[quote=“Scarface”]
Pulp Fiction is all about choosing McDonalds over Burger King.
[/quote]

Disco.

I think the overall moral of the story is don’t fuck over Marcellus Wallas unless you want jules and vince after you

there is no message…it is Pulp

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
there is no message…it is Pulp
[/quote]

Word.

Its just love for cinema. THE END.

why does there have to be a fucking meaning behind everything? Why can’t there just be a time when you don’t have to think - I mean…can’t you just sit back and enjoy something other than a blowjob?

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
why does there have to be a fucking meaning behind everything? Why can’t there just be a time when you don’t have to think - I mean…can’t you just sit back and enjoy something other than a blowjob?
[/quote]

Once again, Kilgore has a point.

What message? Why does there have to be a damn message?!

Here’s the message: Tarantino is a fucking genius.

[quote=“DestroyAllMonsters”]
so in all of your opinions, i’m wondering what you believe Tarantino was actually trying to accomplish with this particular film. What was the message he was trying to broadcast? is this film optimisstic or pessimisstic? etc.

[/quote]
No one and I mean no one fucks with Marsellus Wallace and gets away with it :stuck_out_tongue:

The message is he is QT and everyone else is not.

All jokes aside, the real message is that there is no sign that says “Dead nigger storage” in Jimmy’s yard.

First of all, I never believed that it did have any message. Tarantino isn’t that kind of director. Not every director is like Oliver Stone. Tarantino loves cinema. All his films are love letters to cinema.

Secondly, Tarantino said it himself in an interview for Playboy in 1994:

“Any time you try to get across a big idea, you’re shooting yourself in the foot. First, you need to make a good movie. And in the process, if there’s something in it that comes across, that’s great. And it shouldn’t be this big idea. It should be a small idea, from which everyone can get something different. I mean, if you’re making a movie and your big idea is that war is bad, why do you even need to make a movie? If that’s all you’re trying to say, just say it.”

[quote=“Angel”]
“Any time you try to get across a big idea, you’re shooting yourself in the foot. First, you need to make a good movie. And in the process, if there’s something in it that comes across, that’s great. And it shouldn’t be this big idea. It should be a small idea, from which everyone can get something different. I mean, if you’re making a movie and your big idea is that war is bad, why do you even need to make a movie? If that’s all you’re trying to say, just say it.”
[/quote]

He’s right, he’s right.

That’s what I love about Tarantino; he doesn’t try to shove his “big ideas” down people’s throats. If you make a good movie (or book or any other art form) anyone from any background can get something out of it. We see what we want to see and everyone comes out of the theater with his or her own views either satisfied or challenged in a meaningful way.

Of course, there is always the occasional ameba that’s just looking for something to be ticked off about. :stuck_out_tongue:

I definitely believe there isn’t a whole lot of overall message to be found in the film. I think his main intention was to entertain and compound the joys of movies and moviemaking into one giant, shocking, amazing film. To show the world that moviemaking can be fun and doesn’t have to be done for the sole purpose of raking in cash.

The stories in Pulp Fiction have themes that you can point to - like loyalty in Vincent’s story, redemption in Butch’s, and maybe diplomacy in Jules’s - but the movie doesn’t have a message per se. It is an exploration of the gangster genre, and so it takes you through the world of characters, as well as the world of values of the genre. Like all gangster movies, staying in gets you in jail or shot, and getting out means a chance at becoming a good person (but getting out of the live is harder than it sounds).

Pulp DOES have a message. Pulp Fiction says QT is one bad motherfucker!

ye lol i dont really think theres a MESSAGE MESSAGE, but i think qt just wanted to show the randomness of life. that u shud be ready for any kind of situation, because SHIT HAPPENS!

The message is a timeless “good prevails over evil” message…or at least “good’s tryin’ real hard”

Pulp Fiction’s message: Shit happens… Crazy wild bloody shit with no rhyme or reason 8)

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
The message is a timeless “good prevails over evil” message…or at least “good’s tryin’ real hard”
[/quote]

That works for Jules but what about the others? I mean Butch isn’t exactly good but he gets away in the end.

Why does there have to be a message at all? Can’t it just be a good movie? I don’t think Tarantino sets out to deliver any kind of moral messages in his movies at all. Sure, Kill Bill has a ‘do to others as you would have them do unto you’ kind of vibe. But I think its simply to serve the plot; not to deliver any moral commentary.