Other directors' opinion of QT

Yeah that’s right! now I remember also, Quentin didn’t actually show up on the stage of the show, but he was just talking on a video, which Godard was invited to see and comment.

Another interesting interview I saw recently where Jean-Luc Godard meets Ana Karina for the first time in many years by surprise at a tv show in 1987, says he never made as good films as he did with Ana Karina and then Ana Karina left the stage crying…

So there is something to the people saying Jean-Luc Godard lost something to his films since he separated with Ana Karina in some year like 1967, though everything Godard, even his most recent films are brilliant.

No offense, but Jean Luc Godard is a has been. I could care less about how he feels about QT anyway. QT was cool enough to compliment him, the old guy shouldve at least been nice to him and thanked him or said hello.

Speaking of Godard, on the Dogs CE edition DVD QT actually said that hes “over Godard” now. He still respects his work, but hes just not a big fan of his at this point. He said he still loves Jean Pierre Melville’s work alot tho. :slight_smile:

If you ever watch Italian crime films on DVD, you’d see how much those old guys like QT. Hes like one of their own, which is cool since QT is part Italian and a big fan of their work.ÂÂ

Actually, Walter Salles is probably the director that has dissed Tarantino more consistently. He seems to bring his name negatively in almost every interview.

He considers Tarantino’s work inhuman, and wants everybody to see his own movies as the answer to them, which is bullshit. Salles is Brazillian, like me, and even wrote a piece against the violence in “Pulp Fiction,” apparently forgetting the violence in his own early movie “High Art.” He seems very full of himself, like he’s the new king of Latin American cinema, when his movies (“Central Station,” “The Motorcycle Diaries” are very bland and sentimental.

I guess there was some poetic justice in him presenting “Motorcycle Diaries” in Cannes when QT was the president, and the movie not getting a single award. Salles afterwards said he wasn’t surprised, not because his movie sucked, but because “there are no connections between the movies we are trying to make in Latin America and the ones represented by Tarantino.” Sour grapes, anyone?

In response to Mr Salles:

QT is a director who makes post modern films. He is NOT a political director. You either like his films or you dont. Alot of people dont like “movie movies” and thats cool. That doesnt mean QT isnt a great artist.

Im pretty sure Eli Roth, Simon Pegg, and Edgar Wright are admirers also.

Im curious to know what Spielberg, Kaufman and Bogdanovich comments on Quentin were so if anyone could like quote or paraphase it would be greatly appreciated!

Cronenberg definatly dislikes him

QT stated at the QT6, that he’s seen the brood so many times.

Qt has a big ego, but I don’t care… ::slight_smile:

[quote] I remember an old quote (circa “Dogs”) from Tarantino saying that, after “Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me,” he thought Lynch had disappeared so far up his own ass that he didn’t want to watch another Lynch movie[/quote]

I find that absolutely hilarious. ;D

This is interesting. Cronenberg is making the rounds with “A History of Violence,” and every other interview has a slam against Tarantino, who is, yawn, doing movies about movies not life. Meanwhile, I read an interview with Werner Herzog, where he stated that Tarantino is one of his all-time favorite directors, putting him up there next to D.W. Griffith and Nicholas Ray. Considering these two directors’ types of film, I’d have guessed the other way around, but intriguing nevertheless.

As for the other comments: Spielberg has apparently been friends with QT since “Pulp Fiction” and I believe I read somewhere, when DreamWorks was first formed, that he mentioned that he’d love to have a talent like him working with the company. Bogdanovich wrote a letter for the Jackie Brown DVD, calling him the director of the decade, looking at the past and at the future simultaneously, which is totally true. As for Kaufmann, all I read was a little blurb in an interview about young filmmakers coming up to him and asking what he though of their movies, and he said something like “I say I like Tarantino, or that I like the Coens, and other people may feel left out, but I admire them, too.”

I dont get why ANY directors say they dislike QTs films. To me, it means they are just jealous of him. Theres no other reasons. The movies QT makes are not supposed to be taken as serious political statements, they are exciting pop culture entertainment, so why would anyone have a problem with that? Cronenberg can make Scanners and The Fly, but he dislikes QTs films? I just dont get it.

Like Stephen King was dissing Kill Bill when it came out. Ok, thats fine, but look at the stuff King has made like Creepshow. Whats the difference between a film like that and Kill Bill? The only thing I can see is that Kill Bill is BETTER. Therefore I just see it as petty jealousy.

Where is the QT’s opinions on other directors thread? Because I’d like to know what he thinks about Guy Ritchie, that lad is brilliant. Lock, Stock And Two Smoking Barrels is just a perfect comedy, the best I’ve ever seen in my whole life because it has a witty, dark humour, which most comedies lack. Plus everything happens in these rainy, cold London streets and everyone’s so english and thievish. It has a brilliant plot, the best timing EVER.

I saw the film yesterday. I enjoyed every moment of it, while Snatch can seriously get on nerves.

Bleach, cmon, knock it off.

[quote=“WinslowLeach”]
I dont get why ANY directors say they dislike QTs films. To me, it means they are just jealous of him. Theres no other reasons. The movies QT makes are not supposed to be taken as serious political statements, they are exciting pop culture entertainment, so why would anyone have a problem with that? Cronenberg can make Scanners and The Fly, but he dislikes QTs films? I just dont get it.

Like Stephen King was dissing Kill Bill when it came out. Ok, thats fine, but look at the stuff King has made like Creepshow. Whats the difference between a film like that and Kill Bill? The only thing I can see is that Kill Bill is BETTER. Therefore I just see it as petty jealousy. ÂÂ
[/quote]

Stephen King only writes books, he has nothing do with films, even if they are based on his books

and if you still wanna compare King with QT, do it with The Shawshank Redemption or The Shining, get an even match

King has directed a film: Maximum Overdrive and he co-wrote/conceptualized Creepshow (a film that was set in a comic book type universe like Kill Bill, directed by one of QTs favorite directors George A Romero). Shawshank and Shining have nothing to do with what Im talking about. Shawshank is a prison film and Shining is a Kubrick horror film that pretty much went against Kings own ideas of what he wanted.

My point is that King shouldnt diss Kill Bill when hes written films that were just as pulpy and comic book-esque. The reason he dissed Kill Bill is because it was better than any of the pulp fiction-esque films hes worked on or written himself.

Ill be interested in seeing what he thinks of Death Proof, the killer car film QT is doing for Grindhouse.

[quote=“WinslowLeach”]
Ill be interested in seeing what he thinks of Death Proof, the killer car film QT is doing for Grindhouse.
[/quote]

what???

What what?

[quote=“Seb (admin)”]
what???
[/quote]

gaaasp an admin should know these things :o

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Didnt Seb post the news on his site? How could he miss THAT?