Originally going to be Old Men on a Misson Film?

[quote=“Kinick”]
Well, you thought the original idea was based around a bunch of elderly men (as in men, around 60 or 70) being sent on mission during WWII?

Or did you mean this?
[/quote]

Hahaha, nice try, dude! ;D

[quote=“NonStop”]
Wasn’t sure on age, but of a much older generation, and I wasn’t mistaken, obviously Tarantino was thinking about it. I never have said original idea.
[/quote]

I don’t think those actors have anything to do with the ‘much older generation’ concept though. At the turn of the century they would have been in their late 40’s and 50’s, while Adam Sandler and Tim Roth had also been rumoured. This is a quote of his thinking from back in the day:

[quote]“I’ve said it once and I am going to say it again. I want Bruce, Sly and Arnold for my World War II epic. I have always dreamt of having these 3 superstars together in a movie.”[/quote]

So, no, nothing to do with them being “old men”. Superstars, yes, but not primarily old, you know.

[quote=“Kinick”]
I don’t think those actors have anything to do with the ‘much older generation’ concept though. At the turn of the century they would have been in their late 40’s and 50’s, while Adam Sandler and Tim Roth had also been rumoured. This is a quote of his thinking from back in the day:

So, no, nothing to do with them being “old men”. Superstars, yes, but not primarily old, you know.
[/quote]

No, but they were old. That may not have been the reason why, but had he cast them it would have inevitably have been part of it.

[quote=“NonStop”]
No, but they were old. That may not have been the reason why, but had he cast them it would have inevitably have been part of it.
[/quote]

Yeah, of course, but being cast because of your action movie star status and an actor of older generation are really quite different.

[quote=“Ify”]
Don’t you mean “[color=red]around” ;D :smiley: ;D
[/quote]

Aren’t you supposed to end questions with question marks?

[quote=“Dantes Inferno”]
Aren’t you supposed to end questions with question marks?
[/quote]

It was rhetorical ;D

[quote=“Kinick”]
Yeah, of course, but being cast because of your action movie star status and an actor of older generation are really quite different.
[/quote]

It’s hilarious how you’re trying to tell NonStop what HE meant!

i’m getting really confused, folks :wink:

[quote=“Ify”]
It’s hilarious how you’re trying to tell NonStop what HE meant!
[/quote]

Sorry dude, you lose.

I was trying to get him to distinguish between people making it out as if he meant a bunch of old actors in their 80’s shooting guns and a bunch of Hollywood action stars in lead roles… hence:
[quote]Obviously he means “old” as in the old, classic sense…the old action greats of today etc. Schwarzenegger, Stallone, Willis, Madsen, Keitel and whoever else was rumoured throughout the years. Not 70 and 80 year old men with walking sticks and breathing apparatus’s on a mission… [/quote]

There is a difference there and it wasn’t acknowledged.

[quote=“Kinick”]
Sorry dude, you lose.

I was trying to get him to distinguish between people making it out as if he meant a bunch of old actors in their 80’s shooting guns and a bunch of Hollywood action stars in lead roles… hence:

There is a difference there and it wasn’t acknowledged.
[/quote]

I lose? Ridiculous!

I’m not the one persisting in telling someone what they mean or should have meant. You’re going on and on about this one thing. Your insecurity is apparent after someone called you out on your mistake. It’s ok dude, you don’t have to carry on proving yourself to me. Just drop it, it’s over. Move on.

[quote=“Ify”]
I lose? Ridiculous!

I’m not the one persisting in telling someone what they mean or should have meant. You’re going on and on about this one thing. Your insecurity is apparent after someone called you out on your mistake. It’s ok dude, you don’t have to carry on proving yourself to me. Just drop it, it’s over. Move on.
[/quote]

It’s Ok, you’ll be OK. Don’t worry none now.

Ok, screw it, lol, basically, regardless of whether QT was hiring these old actors because of status or age, it would inevitable become an old men on a mission film. But it isn’t like that, and I was wondering if anyone knew why QT changed his mind (was it the age thing?)? But no one knows, no one cares but me, and I keep getting asked dumb questions, so lets leave it.

[quote=“NonStop”]
Ok, screw it, lol, basically, regardless of whether QT was hiring these old actors because of status or age, it would inevitable become an old men on a mission film. But it isn’t like that, and I was wondering if anyone knew why QT changed his mind (was it the age thing?)? But no one knows, no one cares but me, and I keep getting asked dumb questions, so lets leave it.
[/quote]

Possibly. I think that’s why many believe Madsen is no longer in the lead role. He got too old. But yeah, no one knows. I provided some reason previously as what I thought. I care about this change also, that’s what I wanted see: the ultimate men-on-a-mission movie. Whether it has been a thousand times or not, with QT at the helm it would have been something very different as to what’s out there…just with his trademarks alone.

When I read the script, I totally pictured Madsen as “Donny”, and Keitel as Raine. I said before, that it seemed to me like he had started writing the roles for people he had in mind back then, and changed them a bit since it’s a decade later than when he started writing.

[quote=“Geoi”]
When I read the script, I totally pictured Madsen as “Donny”, and Keitel as Raine. I said before, that it seemed to me like he had started writing the roles for people he had in mind back then, and changed them a bit since it’s a decade later than when he started writing.
[/quote]

Same here, Geoi. Totally pictured Madsen with the bat. In fact, it’s quite possible that that was the character QT had been writing for him; you’ll have noticed the Babe Ruth reference in the script and of course the original name, Babe Buchinksy. Hadn’t pictured Keitel though, that’s interesting.

there’s a buchinsky reference in the script?

Aw naw, Donny is described as Babe Ruth-like when he’s with his bat or something just.

yeah but that’s got nothing to do with buchinsky. okay same first name, but that’s no big deal. i dont get this nostalgia over michael madsen. i mean the guy’s great, but i am not aware of a law that sais he has to be in a tarantino movie and if he’s not then we need to cry about it for months on end :wink: he’s not in the movie, period. so are millions of other actors… he’s not alone.

Who’s crying? Not me.

didn’t say that :wink:

I’m not crying over it. Just saying what I imagined.