[news] Tarantino Film Fest 6 in Austin! (July 28)

can I hire you to do some tarantino.info -exclusive coverage on the festival?

Hey badassmovieman,

You mind dropping the names of the hotels that are in waling distance to the Theatre? I’ll hopefully attend, but I need a cheapo motel and something close, so I don’t have to rent a car. I wonder if I can book a room a month in advance?

I can do any coverage anyone needs. Assuming I can even get in. It is gonna be VERY VERY TOUGH to get in this year. I definitely recommend joinging Austin Film Society to be able to purchase advance tickets/passes for those that aren’t already an Austin Film Society Member.

As for the two hotels, I prefer to keep them a secret at this moment and would hope nobody else posts them either, since these places can book up quick. Once I know for sure I have a pass, I’m gonna book rooms there. Which I won’t know til August 12th. I’ll email the info on the main hotel you’ll wanna stay at thats good, cheap and walking distance to those that ask or hit me up on AIM.

I do know that Omni Hotel has some kinda rate that gets people rooms for $70 a night at one point. If you have any hotel discount codes or discount memberships, I’d check those lines to (and note I’m not meaning the hotel discount booking sites, which don’t seem to have as good of rates as these discount codes or discount memberships).

Also note the big “IF” I can get a pass and after all friends coming are figured out, I’ll let anyone know if we have any extra room available assuming you aren’t a cannibal. I will also be taking off vacation to attend, so during the days we will be having several movie screenings, to go through piles of to be watched dvds, as well as attending others day time movie screenings. Also will be doing trips down to Barton Springs and the restaurant Hula Hut (some of the most gorgeous women in the world here). This fest is a lot of fun 30+ movies in 9 days, not even counting all the rare trailers shown and all the outside fests movies watched.

I see movie fatigue hit every fest with people not used to staying up night after night watching movies. Before the fest I highly recommend getting into a good late night watching film rhythm if your not already in this habit. Start at least one to two weeks prior to begin watching movies from seven until as late as you possibly can afford to (try for all nighters at least once or twice). Past marathon nights have gone from 7 at night until nearly noon the next day. If you fall asleep be careful, people might zap you with a stun stick or take compromising pictures to post on the Internet. The Drafthouse does offer Asian Red Bull and many coffee/late night food specials throughout the fest.

I plan on going.

I have some questions.

I’m 15. And if my Dad comes with me to the festival, would they let me in? Even though some of those films could be considered NC-17.

Also, when everyone is chatting, is it hard to get a chance to talk to QT, or is everyone just trying to get their two cents to him, and it really not being a disscussion?

Thanks Alot.

And if I join the austin film soceity, what are the chances of me gettting the tickets before they sell out? Like do I need to phone them or can I do it online?

A selection of 1930s films? I wonder if he’ll include anything by this guy:

<LINK_TEXT text=“The Quentin Tarantino Archives - Everything QT since 1999 … &Itemid=41”>http://www.tarantino.info/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=238&Itemid=41</LINK_TEXT>

could be. witney is his favorite. but i think it depends on the genres he’s going to screen

Tickets and passes are only available online. Getting in this year is going to be extremely tough. Under 18 I believe can get in if a parent/legal guardian is with them at Drafthouse. Chatting with Tarantino? Well the first couple of nights are typically more hectic than usual… but believe me if your there every night, there will be a ton of great chances to chat with him.

Oh my god yes, I will be one of the first ones there…fuck that film festival badge shit, Ill be happy if I just go for one day…you will all be jealous to know that I live 45 min to an hour from Austin

:wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

I"m still offering the option of buying a pass through my membership. I will mail you my membership card so you can use it at the festival etc. Just let me know.

Can ya hook me up roulette67?

Just email me and we can get the ball rolling.

Do you need a card to order on the 12th?

Look What I Got In the Email :o

Dear AFS Member,

Earlier today (8/12), the AFS online ticketing system was flooded

with requests for QT SIX badges. Since our online system was unable

to handle the traffic (!!!), we were forced to shut down online

sales. In order to resume selling QT SIX badges, we are returning to

the tried and true method of phone sales. Badges will now be

available by phone at 512-322-0145 starting MONDAY, AUGUST 15 at 8:00

AM.

Be advised, phone lines get tied up, too. Please remember that

badges are extremely limited, so put a little extra patience in your

morning coffee on Monday.

We are sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused. Thanks for

all the interest. Quentin loves you, too!

Luckily someone bought me a pass today. The online ordering was a nightmare. Their webserver crashed 5-6 times… and it took people that were lucky 3-4 hrs of wading through 5 webpages (avg 30- 1hr per page loading). Worse. They told everyone that called to just keep clicking reload… which isn’t a good idea to tell thousands of people to just keep hitting reload, when the server already keeps crashing :wink:

It took me awhile to convince them early on that their Web server wasn’t running slow, it was down and they needed to restart it.

For those that didn’t get a pass today, which hardly anyone got a pass today it seems. They are onsale via phone on Monday. From what I’m told they have 200 seats for general public for this event, some of these are divided up for passes and the rest are for individual night sales.

Also note that there is a mention that there will be a special secret guest speaker for QT6 on Sep. 11 when QT is at the Emmy’s. Emmy’s are moved back to Sep. 18, so he will be there for the whole thing.

QT SIX FAQ (from www.austinfilm.org)

When do festival badges go on sale?

Festival Badges go on sale for AFS members ONLY Friday, August 12 at noon CDT. Limit two per AFS member.

When do single-night passes and late show tickets go on sale?

Single-night passes and late show tickets will be sold as available at the Alamo Drafthouse Downtown fifteen minutes prior to each screening time on each night.

Is it better to phone in my badge purchase or can I do it online?

You cannot purchase badges by phone. All badges are sold online at www.austinfilm.org You will need to log in using your AFS username and password. If you don’t know your password, you can have it emailed to your email address on file. If you have problems getting your password, call us at 512-322-0145.

What are the chances of me getting a badge before they sell out?

Badges are very limited and will be sold on a first-come, first-served basis starting at noon CDT on Friday, Aug 12. Single-night passes will be sold the night of the screening.

Does purchasing the 9-day badge guarantee seating for every movie?

A 9-day badge does guarantee you a seat at every screening, providing you arrive at least 15 minutes prior to start time. Empty seats will be offered to ticket buyers starting at that time. Do yourself a huge favor and make sure you arrive with plenty of time to spare.

Will my badge be mailed to me?

All badges will be held at will call at the Alamo Downtown the week before the festival. Exact times for this will call are forthcoming. Please check back with our website.

If I buy a Badge for myself and am unable to attend on a particular night, would I be able to loan it to a friend to go in my place, or am I the only one allowed to use it?

Badges are non-transferable. You will need to show your ID at the door, and it must match the badge you present.

Can I buy a Badge for a friend?

Yes. AFS members will be allowed to purchase two (2) badges. AFS will contact you for the name of your guest badge-holder. Once you have given AFS the name of your guest, that badge will also be non-transferrable.

What times will the screenings begin?

Sunday through Monday, the first screenings will start at 7:00pm and second screenings will start between 9:00pm and 9:30pm depending on running time of first screening. Fridays and Saturdays, the first screenings will start at 8:00pm, second screenings between 10:00pm and 10:30pm, and late show at 12:30am. You can check with the Alamo Theater the day of for exact start times.

When will you be announcing the themes and film listings?

Knowing Quentin, these will arrive late and without warning. As soon as we have this information we will post it on our website. You can visit our listing of past QT Fest films at www.austinfilm.org/qtfestival.

Are press passes available for the event?

Please contact Natalie Schuessler at natalie@austinfilm.org if you are a member of the media and would like more information.

Is there a minimum age requirement for any of the screenings?

Children under 6 are not allowed in the theater and anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by an adult.

Will Quentin be at all the screenings?

Quentin will be present at all screenings and will introduce each film, with the exception of September 11 when he will be designating a guest host in his stead (QT will be attending the Emmy’s this night).

Where to stay? Single Night Tickets? I will eventually try and craft an Out of Towner FAQ, in the meantime here is some essential info.

Ok for out of towners. Now that I safely have my room secure. Here is the best place IMO to stay on a budget. It’s cheap, decent and within walking distance. Most of the other hotels are $100 up a night.

Extended StayAmerica Austin - Downtown - 6th St.

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/mini … otelID=842”>http://www.extendedstayamerica.com/minisite/?Portal=1&hotelID=842</LINK_TEXT>

Weekly Rates per night $59.99 (note this is for 7 nights or more and w/ this rate you are billed on checkin)

Nightly Rates are around $65.00

Within two short blocks walking distance of the Drafthouse Downtown. Each room has a small kitchen.

Will be there w/ the all region DVD player. So will be screening Shaw Brothers, Giallo’s, Italian crime, Spaghetti Western, Horror, etc., and various rare movies at the hotel. Anyone staying at Extended Stay is welcome to stop by. If your at the fest itself, be sure and say hi. I’ll do my best to be the first person in line each night for pass holders…

Wow… I really have no gauge this year for what to say. Going by the past, I was the first person in line nearly every night at QT3-QT5 for pass holders… so I can definitely say on most nights that people wanting tickets showed up at earliest 45 minutes beforehand. I’ve heard from several people today with discussions of people camping out. I don’t think anyone will camp out… but I could be wrong, QT6 seems to have taken on a new life. Now from what I’m told there are 200 seats up for grabs. 150+ I’m guessing are for pass holders and around 50 tickets for nightly sales. I wasn’t able to get any precise #'s from AFS, so I can’t be 100% accurate… only a guess. If this is the case… there are roughly 50 tickets or much less up for grab each night… so when you combine all the people coming in from out of town, plus locals getting in… there ain’t enough tickets at all to go around. For anyone standing out waiting majorly early, you will be exposed to EXTREMELY HOT AND HUMID Austin…

In the past whenever I’ve had someone come in that didn’t have a ticket, we showed up 2 hrs prior and they always made it in. This year I don’t know if 2 hrs will be enough… at least not the first couple of nights, the level of people will somewhat drop here and there as it winds down. If you don’t get in one night, your bound to get in another. Just don’t expect to show up an hour before and expect get in. I think the bar will be raised at least be up to two hours this year if not more, if the interest is really as big as it seems right now.

So my advice is, get in town and immediately check out the line situation. If there is no line anywhere, be sure to look inside and see if anyone’s on the stairs. The line for people wanting tickets starts on the lefthand side of the stairs and ends on the first landing (before it curves up to the left)… if based on how all the other QT fests were handled. If you see nobody in line and they won’t let you wait inside yet or the doors or locked… hover at a restaurant or bar nearby where you can have some shade… you do not want to stay out in the Austin humid/heat for long and then try and see a night of movies. 2-3 hrs headstart waiting in line should be the best bet. Having said that, as soon as people read this, they will show up 4 hrs prior probably, lol. I have rarely ever seen anyone show up an hour before for a night of the fest to get nightly tickets… this year will probably change that. Will have to really see how it goes, to see how much the hype and interest plays out when the fest actually happens. Will there be too many people show up… or will many stay away thinking they will have no shot at tickets… or were many that tried in masses to get passes, all form out of town, who now will not attend the event after not getting a pass?

Saturday and Sunday will be the tougher days for nightly tickets as people are off work and the marathon nights are legendary. Monday through Friday during the work week, it will be tougher for Austin locals to get down to the Drafthouse at 5 to wait in line. So out of towners will have a slight advantage on those days to more easily beat people down at 5 or earlier.

Let me say this… if your going to attend a night, both Saturday nights with their marathons, are COMPLETELY worth the price and experience. People at 2am start dropping like flies. By 10 pm the next morning when we are done w/ the final film, only a hardcore few will remain.

So scout at the line situation right away when you get in town, see if there is a line already. Be prepared and stay close to the Drafthouse (but out of the heat) to be one of the first in (2-3 hrs early should do this). If you scout and see a line, hop in as soon as you can, count how many, if your 100 people back, you probably aren’t getting in. If your there 2-3 hrs early and are only person, yeah its boring, but at least you will put your self in good position to get a ticket.

For budgeting money for collectables on sale. They usually have a tshirt, coffee mug and autographed fest posters by QT. If your buying one of each, budget about $50 for this. Since QT doesn’t sign autographs at all, these pre-signed posters by him are your best and only bet. The best autographed posters are usually the first ones, so buy one opening night if you get one, as the quality seems to drop after this.

And last but not least this time around, in this super long post. Starting next week. Start getting in the habit of watching 2-3 movies a day… and as it gets closer to the fest, start staying up as late as is reasonable for you watching as many movies as you can. Getting into habit doing this, will greatly help your experience at QT6. So many people show up and aren’t used to staying up all night watching movies… and end up falling asleep during part of it or having to leave and miss a movie.

Hi all. I am new to this board.

Hope everyone got badges that wanted them as they are sold out.

Badassmovieman is giving some righteous info. I went to QT 5 and stayed at that Extendicare. Good deal and you can walk to the theater. Had a great time and had plenty of talks with Quentin, David Carradine and others.

I am from Houston and me and a buddy got our passes. Staying at the Holiday Inn on the Lake. Will have to take a cab, but got a great deal at 50 bucks a night. Figure Ill save enough for the cab fare.

Some other friends are planning on going to the Alamo couple hours early for the first few nights to see if they can get in. I do recommend monitoring the line for sure.

This is one good time. Looking forward to drinking some beers and watching some really cool movies. Just hope I can get my sleep schedule flipped in time so I don’t wuss out on those Saturday allnighters.

Take it easy.

I’ve been at the Holiday Inn before and walked down to the Drafthouse… complete beatdown in the hot humid Austin summertime heat. I like taking cabs from there but I found some of the trickster one’s tried to take a much longer way to the drafthouse, really annoying. They wanna do this huge circle there, versus the quick 2 minute drive.

Opening night will be the toughest to get in. Saturday night as the evening wears on, people drop like flies. So if you hang out long enough then, etc… you are bound to get in. They have asian red bull now at the Drafthouse, which they didn’t have then. Stuff will keep you awake a long, long, long time. I just love marathon nights, especially later on, it gets down to a select group and you meet alot of people.

That one night w/ Carradine at QT5 rocked! People were out talking in groups so long w/ QT and DC… made the night drag on til almost the next afternoon. It wasn’t as cool as kung fu night at QT4… but it was great.

Dolemite I hope you got see the night they screened Blade and King of Beggars at QT5…

QT has had 4 years of buying prints, especially for the next QT Fest… and not to mention all the surprise guests we might see this year.

Almost two weeks away!

Ill have to try to alternate some of this asian red bull in between the beers. Don’t want to miss anything.

I missed Blade and King of Beggars at QT 5. Last time we only came for last 5 nights (or was it 4). Going to make it to every night this time. Anyway, Rolling Thunder became one of our favorite movies. In fact I have shown it in Houston. Me and a friend show flicks at a cafe called Brasil sometimes. We are currently on a hiatus from the heat but should resume soon. You can check out our website to see movies we have shown.

www.filmbrasil.com

QT 6 can’t get here quick enough for me. Really looking forward to this.

the response to my inquiry regarding media badges:

[quote]
Thank you for your kind email, and I apologize for the late response. Unfortunately, we are unable to provide any media badges for the QT Six film festival, as seating in the Alamo Drafthouse Downtown is very limited and the demand has been enormous, as I’m sure you can imagine.

Single-night passes and late show tickets are still available, though, and will go on sale each night for that evening’s show. Full details are on our website. Also, we are currently planning a possible outdoor screening for Thursday, Sept. 15, which will have much more seating than the theater, so there will be a much greater chance of getting in. [/quote]