Music for Tarantino's ww2

[quote]Spaghetti Western sounds cool, but… marching tunes and all typical war music…? mmm… [/quote]

Hey, you think your so damn smart, YOU think of something. :slight_smile:

I’ll leave that up to you buddy since you’re the one who came up with that idea…

how about Hans Zimmer?

Look i didnt mean Showtunes like freakin Chicago i meant 1920s-40s era music?

Toothpickvega u dig?

[quote]how about Hans Zimmer?

Look i didnt mean Showtunes like freakin Chicago i meant 1920s-40s era music?

Toothpickvega Êu dig? [/quote]

You mean music like:

“Hello my honey , hello my baby, hello my ragtiiime gaaaaaaaaaal”?

hahahaha.

well since its a WW2 flick, there should be music and tunes from the 40s.

FULL STOP.

i mean, just regular stuff people listened to, like swing or some military stuff, big band things… etc… stuff like that.

[quote]well since its a WW2 flick, there should be music and tunes from the 40s.

FULL STOP.

i mean, just regular stuff people listened to, like swing or some military stuff, big band things… etc… stuff like that.
[/quote]

I dont think Bastards is gonna be the type of film wthat has alot of music in it. Especially pop music. With QTs past films, they are set in late 20th century urban landscapes, the music is a natural part of that environment. In WW2, the LAST thing soldiers did on an adventurous mission was listen to music. If theyre running around blowing shit up, dont expect to hear music like swing etc in between. I really care about the story and characters and what they do in the film. I could care less about music in it.

I think you can see my point here.

You talk about guys lisitenting to music… um GIs really did not lisiten to music they dodged bullets. A Hans Zimmer score influenced by period music would be nice but if Tarantino does not want music thats okay I just want our GIs kickin ass QT STYLE

feels reallly compelled to post in topic

I agree with the Ennio Morricone suggestion, but I also would like to add German Cabaret to this–utilized with the lovely vocals of Goldfrapp.  The band is also influenced heavily by Morricone, and I think it would fit very well with the period (minus the synths, of course).  Tack on some Doris Day, Benny Goodman (I can see swing playing with body parts flying everywhere.  (I know that’s horrible considering my great uncle died in Italy)), and Frank; then we have a soundtrack.

I’ll post more when I dig up those old records.  :wink:

digs up records

How could I forget Louis Armstrong, Art Tatum, Duke Ellington, Glen Miller, Josephine Baker, Ella Fitzgerald or Count Basie?! And if there isn’t one ‘Blue Angel’ reference or nod to Samuel Fuller, I’m going to get frustrated.

There really is no excuse for screwing up the soundtrack to this movie if you take into account how great the music was back then…

And if you’re going to go with modern music use Black Flag’s ‘Drinking and Driving’ for when they’re blowing up panzers. That song is great!

I’ll post again when I get some more ideas.

yeah baby, now we’re getting on the right track here.

[quote]yeah baby, now we’re getting on the right track here. [/quote]

What?!! No Kid Rock?!! :slight_smile:

Black Flag does rock, but its World War 2, it doesnt fit. Doris Day? Gimme a break. lol.

There was alot of great music from the 40s, but World War 2 films arent really about pop music. Theres so much other shit going on, it doesnt have much to do with the whole thing. I dont wanna hear pop tunes in a War film to be honest. Id rather hear an epic score by Morricone or John Williams or Elmer Bernstein etc.

We gotta get out of this “Tarantino = pop tunes in every movie” mindset I think.

Actually, Doris was one of the most popular Big Band singers amongst GIs during WWII.  She modeled her voice off of Ella Fitzgerald, and was very Jazz oriented when her career first started out.  If you haven’t listened to “Sentimental Journey”, then I think you should to get a better grasp of Doris before she became America’s favorite virgin. ÂÂ

I disagree about having an original score.  The 1940s was really heavily influenced by Pop culture.  Women and men modeled their whole style off of the latest picture inducing trend.  For Quentin not to grab hold of that and put it in the movie, it would be odd and not representative of the time.  I doubt the movie will be sentimental or milquetoast, because the time was blood drenched and almost too surreal (Hitler’s rise to power, anyone?).  I think having Morricone supervising the music would be great, but I want the pop music to be placed and heard in the way our grandparents’ heard it.  The time wasn’t innocent at all, nor was it in anyway like the flag waving movies that were being made back then. ÂÂ

If you see where I’m heading, I’m going for a parallel between the music and what’s happening on screen.  Take for instance the swing music being played while people are blowing each other up, that’s what I’m looking for.  And, that’s precisely why they’re Bastards  :wink:

Also, I was being cheeky when I stated Black Flag.  I meant Circle Jerks’ “I Just Want Some Skank” :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote]
 Take for instance the swing music being played while people are blowing each other up, that’s what I’m looking for.  And, that’s precisely why they’re Bastards  :wink:
[/quote]

I just wanna see a kickass Men on a Mission film. I don’t care about Swing music or Doris Day. Just because it takes place in WW2, doesnt mean QT HAS to use pop music of the time. I just think it would sound cheesy in the context of a QT violent crazy battle film. I still say he should go with a cool score and leave the Swing, Jazz, etc out of it altogether. This film will be more like The Steel Helmet, Dirty Dozen or Guns of Navarone or Great Escape, those films didnt have pop music in them either. Having pop music for pop music’s sake isnt always good. I think QT knows that.

you call all that classic tunes “pop music”?

it’s not saving private ryan, man. its about mood and all, you dont need a James Horner or John Williams score here, you need something cool and funny here. all those guys on a mission films have some kind of funny military music, and older classic songs and all, or none at all.

In case you didnt know, every decade has “popular music”. In the 20s it was ragtime, in the 30s and 40s it was Jazz, Blues and Swing, in the 50s it was rock n roll, etc.

Theres no QT rulebook that says “Every film has to have pop tunes from said decade in it”. Thats pretty simple minded shit. QT never said all his films are going to just be pop music soundtracks. He’s already changing that perception with Kill Bill.

When I think “Quentin Tarantino, Men on a Mission film” I hear a main scored theme ala Great Escape with some smaller themes in between. Not Swing music and Doris fuckin Day singing while guys are being shot and blown up. lol.

The film isnt going to be serious, its most likely going to be a fun, over the top adventure. But that still doesnt mean it should have Swing music in it, or any particular songs from the 40s.

Or, it could turn into a platoonish (remember the overuse of adagio?) melodrama with violins used to purposely pull people’s heart strings. ÂÂ

I mean, in a real battle in the middle of hellish artillery shelling that sounds like the crack of thunder and happens to be one of the worst sounds that a man can hear, I doubt someone is conducting a full orchestra with cellos and flutes blazing.  I would think a person in that situation would try to remember one of their favorite songs to keep themselves sane.  What I’m trying to say here is that everyone’s persona can be understood partly by their favorite music, clothes, movies etc…  If Quentin puts a badass in the movie, he’s going to use the music that he thinks the badass would listen to if he were real. ÂÂ

Remember Quentin’s universe idea?  I think Kill Bill will be in that part of the universe where characters from res dogs, pulp, true rom would go to watch.  So naturally, it would make sense that the score is going to be orchestrated.  And also, considering how infinitely great Morricone is I’m sure he is willing to make an exception.  Other than that, most orchestrated music for movies nowadays seems flat and derivative of other past works. ÂÂ

I’m just going for the reality factor in Bastards.  Either that, or have the movie with as little music as possible.

I wholeheartedly agree with the movies you listed.  But also take into account, that the orchestrated music used in those films were popular on their own, and were in themselves considered pop music at the time.

What’s truly great about Quentin is that he has the ability to use pop icons without making them seem pop-ish (consider his choice of actors for his films: Travolta? Grier? Forster? Sandler? Carradine? Svenson?)

I was going for irony when I stated that Carmen Miranda should be singing especially when people are fighting. Indeed, every decade has its own popular music, and when did WWII take place? Is he going to represent WWII (w/many inspirations) or the movies that were made about it afterward? Incidentally, Saving Private Ryan reminded me too much of The Longest Day. Either way, if he does it originally, I won’t mind. :slight_smile:

Sorry for the long post…

Well QT has stated that Bastards will be taking place in his Dogs/Pulp/True Romance World, what he calls his “Realer than Real World”.

As much as I love QTs previous works, I don’t think he will be repeating himself with his new films. I think he will definitely be expanding his art, not just using blueprints of his earlier films with standard pop music soundtracks, etc.

(Now that I think about it, he’s already started using scores, he used them in Jackie Brown.)

Theres really no telling where QT will go with Bastards, but my prediction is that it will be mostly scored with not alot of emphasis on specific pop music tracks, but on the actors and the action going on in the film.

Its inspired by films like: Kellys Heroes (Connection: Don Rickles, a big comedian starred in this film, Adam Sandler, another well known comedian is supposedly starring in Bastards), The Dirty Dozen, Eastern Condors, Guns of Navarone, Dark of the Sun, Steel Helmet, Where Eagles Dare, Inglorious Bastards, The Losers, The Great Escape, The Big Red One.

Now that I think of it, I agree that he may just go with that formula.

The Rickles/Sandler connection is very interesting. But, I’m worried that Sandler’s kind of humor might be a little too goofy compared to sarcastic and snarly Rickles. Interesting, but I would rather have key character music then just an orchestrated score; like the kind used in the Dirty Dozen and many of Leone’s films.

I don’t think Quentin is rehashing himself when he uses old songs. I think that’s his trademark, and I think it’s amazing he can get away with doing it. I read in an interview once, that he uses pre-recorded songs as a basis for his character development. His characters are inspired by those songs. In Jackie Brown, there was a great deal of Doo Wop too.

[quote]Now that I think of it, I agree that he may just go with that formula. ÂÂ

The Rickles/Sandler connection is very interesting.  But, I’m worried that Sandler’s kind of humor might be a little too goofy compared to sarcastic and snarly Rickles.  Interesting, but I would rather have key character music then just an orchestrated score; like the kind used in the Dirty Dozen and many of Leone’s films. ÂÂ

I read in an interview once, that he uses pre-recorded songs as a basis for his character development.  His characters are inspired by those songs.  In Jackie Brown, there was a great deal of Doo Wop too.[/quote]

I dont know if Sandler will be playing a goofy character, he probably will be just acting, like Chris Tucker did in Jackie Brown. Also, Rickles didnt really play a comic in Kellys Heroes, he actually was pretty serious in it.

I think key character music would be cool too. There could be the “Inglorious Bastards Main Theme”, and little themes for different parts of the movies scenes, character themes etc.

I don’t think Jackie Brown had “Doo Wop” in it, but it did have pre recorded music from one of Pam Griers biggest 70s hit Blaxploitation films “Coffy” and it had 70s R&B and Soul tunes by The Delfonics, Minnie Ripperton, Bloodstone and Bill Withers.

Note: For Kill Bill, QT is using pre recorded music by Ennio Morricone. It will most likely be some scores from different Spaghetti Westerns.

[quote]
Note: For Kill Bill, QT is using pre recorded music by Ennio Morricone. It will most likely be some scores from different Spaghetti Westerns.
[/quote]

Then, he’s technically not hiring someone to write original music for the film. 8)