Movie (& pop culture) Influences / References

[quote=“Kinick”]
I thought this was a pretty funny little tidbit I came across there.

I was just browsing through teletext a while ago and was checking tonight’s movie previews. On BBC 2 tonight there’s movie on called Taking Sides.

Here’s what was in the synopsis:

"Post WWII drama. During de-nazification, a brilliant German orchestra conductor is quizzed about his role in the Third Reich. Starring Harvey Keitel. (2001)"

Thought it was pretty interesting after skimming through IB a few hours before, haha… ^-^

[/quote]

Where are you from?

And what film was being shown on BBC 1 at the same time? None other than Kill Bill: Volume 2!

[quote=“Bob Rock”]
Brad Pitt as a redneck, who’s into German scalps. Y’all know what movie I’m talking about.
[/quote]

Actually not. Enlighten me.

Hell is for heros

Where Eagles Dare

The Dirty Dozen

The Longest Day

The Victors

The Train

Causalitys of war

Gallipoli (ok its WW1 but id thought id throw that out there because i wouldn’t mind seeing some freaky French electronic music break out in some scene )

"Brad Pitt as a redneck, who’s into German scalps. Y’all know what movie I’m talking about."

Perhaps I misspoke. Not exactly redneck, let’s say…woodsman.

[quote=“Ify”]
Where are you from?

And what film was being shown on BBC 1 at the same time? None other than Kill Bill: Volume 2!
[/quote]

I’m from Norn Iron. Damn right I watched it last night too, hadn’t seen it in a while. Quite enjoyed it more than Vol. 1 last week. The only part where it started to drag was when the “I really like comic books” and pregnency part came in.

Pulp Fiction’s on BBC too the night as well.

EDIT: Or tomorrow night even. 8)

^In the same league as Dirty Dozen with the title group being a rowdy and fearful bunch of U.S. & Canadian soldiers who got their nickname from the German forces.

[quote=“Crazy Love”]
I know the silent classic ‘The Kid’ gets discussed in one scene, along with Leni Riefenstahl’s mountain climbing films. This, of course, means I’m renting them tout de suite. I want to be in-the-know for my first watchthrough of IB.
[/quote]

This is a great idea. Remember (For the Shosana section of the film) it’s either gonna be propoganda night at the German theater or a celebration of German cinema. I’m actually gonna watch plenty of early German cinema in preparation. Among my watch-list:

The Blue Light

Warning Shadows: A Nocturnal Hallucination

The Student of Prague

Tartuffe

M

La Habanera

The Hands of Orlac

Faust

Dr. Mabuse, The Gambler

The Testament of Dr. Mabuse (An all-time favorite of mine)

Secrets of a Soul

The Golem

Metropolis

The Blue Angel

Nosferatu

And for propoganda night, all you need is this:

Or not even woodsman…oh, heck: I’m talking about Legends of the Flucking Fall.

Slight Spoilers

What surprised me in the script was the amount of explicit references made to European, especially German pre-war cinema. Before Inglorious Bastards coming out we must all watch “The White Hell of Pitz Palu”, starring Leni R.

Also, there are references made to:

• the character of Sherlock Holmes
  • certain scenes from The Good, Bad and the Ugly; Once Upon A Time in America
  • several versions of the Golem film

and lots more, but haven’t counted them all yet.

I haven’t seen Cross Of Iron, but it could possibly be a influence on IB.

In the script there are these references as well:

• SLIGHT SPOILERS*

References to:

Leslie Charteris’s novel "The Saint in New York"

Paul Martin’s 1936 film “Glückskinder” (“Lucky Kids”)

actor George Sanders from the time of “The Saint” movies

actress Pola Negri

writer Edgar Wallace

character of Winnetou

character of Bulldog Drummond

actress Brigitte Helm

director G. W. Pabst

[quote=“Bob Rock”]
character of Bulldog Drummond
[/quote]

oh cool! he’s from “Deadlier than the male”, I wrote a short review for that at www.grindhousedatabase.com

Edgar Wallace is the British crime story writer. His stories were made into films by German film Studios.

Winnetou was a fictional Apache Indian character. They made movies about him. I doubt its that person. Must just be the name he used.

IB sounds like QT is mixing his realer than real world universe and his movie movie universe together. I love how he’s having all these historical film figures guest star in the movie! 8)

I would love to see a Das Boot reference. Das Boot actually expands to a year, so you see the cast grow beards through time. I would love to see QT do something similar.

It sounds like QT added a boatload of references and characters in there. Like his own mini WW2 era film universe.

[quote=“me”]
I would love to see a Das Boot reference. Das Boot actually expands to a year, so you see the cast grow beards through time. I would love to see QT do something similar.

[/quote]

Juergen Prochnow would play a good nazi, but he’s too old now, and he’s done it way to much I guess

Winnetou and Drummond are merely mentioned and/or discussed in the script. They don’t actually make an entrance, although I agree it would be nice if they did. But there’s an English spy in there, whose physical appearance and demeanor seem to hint at George Sanders’s portrayal of The Saint.

PS: Seba, if you’re interested in Bulldog Drummond, check out for an interesting incarnation of his character in Moore’s “The Black Dossier”: <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.amazon.com/League-Extraordin … 140120306X”>Amazon.com</LINK_TEXT>

OK, I think I’ve been pointed towards one of the biggest apparent influences on the IB script. I haven’t seen this film, but I’ve just been reading up a little bit on it, and there are huge similarities with one of IB’s main plot points: Black Book (2006) - IMDb (Black Book it’s called)

I also think we can scratch all the other classic War movies…as IB will look nothing like any of them, except of course for using them as a starting point (The Ingolrious Bastards, Dirty Dozen etc.) before evolving into something completely different and unique for good or for worse, time will tell!

Edit: WOW! I’ve just watched the trailer for this movie; I’ll be damned if this didn’t have an impact on QT, haha. Check it out: <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/tra … 2595881241”>http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0389557/trailers-screenplay-vi2595881241</LINK_TEXT>

This is one I havent seen yet, but Ive wanted to. Im a big fan of Paul Verhoeven. I really cant say if its an influence or not because I havent read the script or seen this movie yet. It could very well be.

. . .the train is a really cool looking movie, especially that plane attack at the tunnel. good choice. saving private ryan had a cool soldiers-on-a-mission feel. another favorite war picture is peckinpah’s major dundee. . .

The opening scene for IB sorta reminded me of Angel Eyes’ (Lee Van Cliffe) intro.