Mixed Martial Arts

Yeah, Mir definitely impressed me. Just shows he does have some power in his hands, although I do think that the fight with Nog would go a bit different with him being healthy. Well, at least a prime Nogueira. Don’t know if the Couture fight definitely proved he was back, but I sincerely hope so.

BJ is just the best at his weight and there’s no stopping him. Maybe Gray Maynard could stand a chance? But that still really wouldn’t even be much of a fight.

yeah i guess a maynard fight could be interesting see how he goes against diaz first might be a repeat of their TUF fight who knows…

im hoping that BJ wins a few more at lightweight and hopefully move up to welterweight to on GSP again!

[quote=“mr blonde_22”]yeah i guess a maynard fight could be interesting see how he goes against diaz first might be a repeat of their TUF fight who knows…

im hoping that BJ wins a few more at lightweight and hopefully move up to welterweight to on GSP again![/quote]
BJ would need to earn his title shot if he wanted to face GSP. The only guy in my opinion that can take on BJ at lightweight is Nate Diaz.

[quote=“Mr.Pink”][quote=“mr blonde_22”]yeah i guess a maynard fight could be interesting see how he goes against diaz first might be a repeat of their TUF fight who knows…

im hoping that BJ wins a few more at lightweight and hopefully move up to welterweight to on GSP again![/quote]
BJ would need to earn his title shot if he wanted to face GSP. The only guy in my opinion that can take on BJ at lightweight is Nate Diaz.[/quote]
What makes you like Nate in that fight if you don’t mind me asking?

I see Maynard grinding out a decision against Diaz. There’s a chance Diaz might catch him, but I think he’s well versed enough at this point that Nate is going to have a hard time submitting him at this point. Not to say Nate can’t do it, because he can, but I think it’ll be really tricky. Maynard’s a dog and one of the toughest guys at 155. I still don’t give him much of a chance against BJ.

[quote=“pantsman”]

I see Maynard grinding out a decision against Diaz. There’s a chance Diaz might catch him, but I think he’s well versed enough at this point that Nate is going to have a hard time submitting him at this point. Not to say Nate can’t do it, because he can, but I think it’ll be really tricky. Maynard’s a dog and one of the toughest guys at 155. I still don’t give him much of a chance against BJ.[/quote]

Forget the Maynard fight for the moment. Look at what BJ is best at its obviously his boxing and jiu jitsu. Then look at what what Nate Diaz is best at its got to be his boxing and cardio. We all know that BJ has terrible cardio and I personally believe Nate has the better boxing (reach advantage aswell) so BJ will probably try take it to the ground and submit Diaz which wont happen and he will most likely get caught in a triangle (Diaz has won 4 of his 11 wins by triangle choke).

As for the Maynard fight I dont know what will happen but I would say it would end up in Diaz getting his hand raised.

[quote=“pantsman”]
Anyway, anyone a fan? If so, favorite fighters? My list:

1. Fedor Emelianenko (greatest fighter of our time)
  2. Mirko “Cro Cop” Filipovic
  3. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
  4. B.J. Penn
  5. Josh Barnett
  6. Royce Gracie (can never forget our past)
  7. Quinton “Rampage” Jackson
  8. Kazushi Sakuraba
  9. Bas Rutten
  10. Georges St. Pierre[/quote]
    I see you’re a big fan of the Pride fighters. Heres my favourite list.

1.Ken Shamrock (The great UFC pioneer)

2.Matt Hughes (Most dominant welterweight of all time)

3.Wanderlei Silva (Most violent fighter)

4.Frank Mir (Biggest mouth)

5.Dan Henderson (Powerful puncher)

6.Mirko Cro Cop (Craziest head kicks)

7.Nick Diaz (Superhuman powers. see the fight with Gomi, a fucking gogoplata)

8.Mark Hunt (Fellow Kiwi)

9.Anderson Silva (Best p4p fighter in the world)

10.Phil Baroni (quickest hands in MMA)

And I just got banned by Chuck Liddell on Twitter. ;D

[quote=“Mr.Pink”][quote=“pantsman”]

I see Maynard grinding out a decision against Diaz. There’s a chance Diaz might catch him, but I think he’s well versed enough at this point that Nate is going to have a hard time submitting him at this point. Not to say Nate can’t do it, because he can, but I think it’ll be really tricky. Maynard’s a dog and one of the toughest guys at 155. I still don’t give him much of a chance against BJ.[/quote]

Forget the Maynard fight for the moment. Look at what BJ is best at its obviously his boxing and jiu jitsu. Then look at what what Nate Diaz is best at its got to be his boxing and cardio. We all know that BJ has terrible cardio and I personally believe Nate has the better boxing (reach advantage aswell) so BJ will probably try take it to the ground and submit Diaz which wont happen and he will most likely get caught in a triangle (Diaz has won 4 of his 11 wins by triangle choke).

As for the Maynard fight I dont know what will happen but I would say it would end up in Diaz getting his hand raised.[/quote]

I cant see diaz submitting Penn ever, penn earned his black belt in BJJ in 3 years (the quickest by an american i believe) then won the world championships, no way will diaz submit him.

come to think of it i agree with maynard grinding out a unamious victory

I think the fight will go down similar to when Nates brother Nick fought Takanori Gomi in Pride. They will slug it on the feet for most of the fight then Nate will pull guard and put a triangle on him (or a gogoplata). With Nates long legs it will be easy to get the triangle.

i could imagine a nice triangle from diaz after pulling guard, iv’e really only seen maynard in his ultimate fighter fights so i’m not surew about how good he is now compared to then, i know sherdog have him in the top 10 155’s in the world but he isnt really a finisher as most of his fights go to a decision, i like diaz the more i think about this fight but i think he will take a beating on the ground before he finds a submission much like TUF 5 fight…

I couldn’t really picture Diaz submitting Penn at all. Diaz is still a brown belt, correct? I don’t really even picture Penn being in trouble on the ground with him much less getting submitted.

Now, as for Maynard, didn’t Diaz beat him on the show? I forget, I did watch that season though. Anyway, as far as growth - I actually see Maynard developing as a truly well rounded fighter. His striking has really come along and with that I’m sure his submission defense has as well. Even if he doesn’t manage to finish every fight, I don’t think Maynard is a lay-n-pray artist or anything. The guy does try and he really puts it on his opponents. I see Maynard grinding out the decision - but I won’t say it isn’t possible for Diaz to pull this one out. Matter of fact, if memory serves, I think he already has before ;D

I don’t know how I slept on this one, but I just learned about one really amazing fight that is coming up this month. January 30th on Strikeforce (Showtime I’m pretty sure, not CBS) we’ll have Marius Zaromskis vs. Nick Diaz!! SO AWESOME! I’m stoked man. Zaromskis is one of my favorite up and coming fighters and if you haven’t seen his Dream fights - search this guy out! Just check his highlights (especially the Ghengis Con one), it’s sick knockout after sick knockout. Diaz though… aside from the fight with KJ Noons, he always surprises me when he goes against strikers who you assume should be better than him. I could see that long jab of his being a problem, should be amazing though!

Yeah Strikeforce Miami

The UFC need to sign Shinya Aoki to fight BJ Penn because him and Nate Diaz I believe are the only lightweights that could beat BJ.

So what do you guys think about UFC 109? Mark Coleman vs Randy Couture. I hope Mark Coleman wins but I see Randy dominating the fight with his dirty boxing and superior cardio and Mark Coleman is known to have shit cardio see his second fight with Shogun they were both gassed 2 minutes into the first round. But Colemans fight with Bonnar seemed impressive so I dunno anything can happen in an MMA fight.

Yeah Nick Diaz is imune to strikers. Coming into his fight with Robbie Lawler he was a heavy underdog. But Nick knocked him out. I havent heard of his opponent for his upcoming fight but it should be no problem if hes a brawler Nick just uses the jab and picks his opponent apart.

[quote=“Mr.Pink”]Yeah Nick Diaz is imune to strikers. Coming into his fight with Robbie Lawler he was a heavy underdog. But Nick knocked him out. I havent heard of his opponent for his upcoming fight but it should be no problem if hes a brawler Nick just uses the jab and picks his opponent apart.[/quote]
Well, I wouldn’t classify Zaromskis as a brawler, the guy is a technician. I just know he’s roughly 5’7" or 5’9" and I have a feeling Nick’s going to have a considerable reach advantage. So, I could see him pawing with that jab, keeping the distance and battering Zaromskis. I could also see Zaromskis slipping, attacking the body and catching Diaz with his unorthodox kicks. Going to be interesting.

If Nick can get it to the mat, I know he’ll have the advantage there. I don’t think I’ve seen Zaromskis on the mat yet in a fight, at least not for long. He seems to have pretty good wrestling defense, but with a guy like Nick it might only take that one takedown. Nick’s just becoming so proficient with his boxing that I know he’ll keep it standing for a bit. I can’t wait to see how that turns out. Has Nick’s boxing improved so much that he can stop the raging kickboxer? Will this prospect take over the US as well? I’m stoked!

As for Aoki/Penn. I don’t know, I like Aoki, but I’ve never been too far on the bandwagon. He’s great, but him against Penn - I don’t see him managing to take down BJ, not when guys like Sherk, Stevenson, Florian or Hughes could not. Then it’s just left in the standup department, where I can’t picture him doing anything other than getting KO’d.

Yeah I dont think Aoki will do well at all. Asians cant fight. Aoki is only famous for beating other Asians. Look there are no really good Asian fighters in the UFC other than Yushin Okami. The rest just fight in DREAM.

Pantsman did you hear that if Chris Leben loses to Jay Silva hes getting cut from the UFC? Pretty sad if he loses considering hes been in the UFC for 5 years.

So what do you think about Fedor? I think hes a pussy for not coming to the UFC. Like seriously the only guy in Strikeforce that has a chance to beat Fedor is Alistair Overeem and he has no ground game. Fedor needs to man up and face Brock Lesnar, until then I dont have any respect for Fedor.

[quote=“Mr.Pink”]Yeah I dont think Aoki will do well at all. Asians cant fight. Aoki is only famous for beating other Asians. Look there are no really good Asian fighters in the UFC other than Yushin Okami. The rest just fight in DREAM.[/quote]
BJ Penn’s ethnicity is Polynesian and Korean, he’s also one of the best fighters in the world. Lyoto Machida is partially Japanese and he too is a belt holder and one of the best. Some fighters are better than other fighters, and there are a ton of really solid/brilliant mixed martial artists who are Asian. Akiyama, Gomi, Kawajiri and Ishida are all some of my favorite fighters and are really amazing. Does Gomi, Crusher Kawajiri or Ishida hold a chance against BJ Penn? No, but who in the UFC does either? Do I think Akiyama is going to beat Anderson Silva? Once again nope, but I don’t know of anyone in the UFC I would bet against him with either. There’s a certain level that those guys are on that most fighters will never reach regardless of nationality or ethnicity in my opinion.

[quote=“Mr.Pink”]Pantsman did you hear that if Chris Leben loses to Jay Silva hes getting cut from the UFC? Pretty sad if he loses considering hes been in the UFC for 5 years.

So what do you think about Fedor? I think hes a pussy for not coming to the UFC. Like seriously the only guy in Strikeforce that has a chance to beat Fedor is Alistair Overeem and he has no ground game. Fedor needs to man up and face Brock Lesnar, until then I dont have any respect for Fedor.[/quote]
I actually didn’t hear that about Leben, but apparently he won his fight so hopefully he’ll stick around. I just figured Leben would stay with the company no matter what, kind of like Stephan Bonner.

Last night was a pretty fun night of fights. I was really impressed with Amir Sadollah as well as Tom Lawlor - who’s striking looked amazing in that first round. I even gave him the second, though I can understand how it could have went either way. Definitely not a robbery. Lawlor could have ended that fight if he capitalized a little more.

As for Fedor, I am a big fan of his. Have been for the longest. Although I wish he would have went to the UFC, I’m hoping after his Strikeforce/Manager’s contract is up he’ll make the right decision. However, if Lesnar doesn’t get better with this disease of his - then he can stay in Strikeforce as far as I’m concerned.

The Lesnar match is interesting because of his size and wrestling pedigree, but he as a fighter doesn’t really do much for me. I think he’s one dimensional and will be lucky if he cuts Fedor before being submitted. Aside from Lesnar, the rest of the UFC heavyweights are all relatively new guys. No one has proven themselves really and we’ve got guys like Shane Carwin and Velasquez at the top of the ranks - for almost nothing. Carwin, who I like and think is a talented fighter, KO’s Gonzaga after almost getting KO’d himself - and this guy jumps to the top of the division? I really like Carwin as a prospect and could totally picture him beating Lesnar; but his 11 fight career is made up of small shows against opponents we’ve never heard of. Velasquez beat Ben Rothwell, which was relatively impressive and Rothwell is a strong fighter, but now he’s fighting Nogueira for a strap. Now, Nog is one of my favorite fighters of all time but I really don’t know where he’s at in his career now. I know he looked better against Randy than he did against Mir, which could have been attributed to sickness, but Nog’s had a storied career and taken so many beatings that I fear he’s on the last leg of things. So if Cain wins against Nogueira, where does he stand? Is it the same old Nogueira or is he just beating a withered old (in ring years at least) man? Heavyweight sucks all around right now, because the only two guys Fedor hasn’t beat that probably deserve a shot are Lesnar and Barnett - two guys he won’t be able to fight for years.

So yeah, whether he fights in the UFC or he fights in Strikeforce - right now at least he has Werdum and Overeem to go through who have put in some ring time with the sport.

You didnt mention Frank Mir. Frank Mir definantly is in for a chance against Fedor. We all know how good his BJJ is and hes starting to show some good Boxing skills so I dont really see Fedor dominating Frank in any one area. Yes Fedor could use his grouund and pound but Frank Mir has a solid guard and I think he could easily control Fedor on the ground.

As for Brock Lesnar I think he would just dominate Fedor. Hes just way too strong for any heavyweight and moves like a fucking lightweight so Fedor would be fucked.

Getting back to Fight Night 20 I thought Nate Diaz got robbed in that fight. He won the first round, lost the second and in my opinion out striked Maynard to win the third. But these judges are bullshit. Look at the Machida/Shogun and the Ortiz/Griffin fights the judges really fucked those up too.

[quote=“Mr.Pink”]Getting back to Fight Night 20 I thought Nate Diaz got robbed in that fight. He won the first round, lost the second and in my opinion out striked Maynard to win the third. But these judges are bullshit. Look at the Machida/Shogun and the Ortiz/Griffin fights the judges really fucked those up too[/quote]
never leave it in the hands of the judges, its said so much but its so true nothing shits me more than bad judging

[quote=“mr blonde_22”]
never leave it in the hands of the judges, its said so much but its so true nothing shits me more than bad judging[/quote]
Damn straight. Us fans need to see more fights ending by way of knockout.