Island of the Dead Romero's Next

Can’t say I disagree with you but I do think Romero gets a pretty raw deal these days. After Dawn he got put up on such high pedestal that there’s really no way he could have lived up to it. The thing is that I don’t think he ever really deserved to be on that pedestal. At least not such a tall one. I mean he’s a guy who directs straight to dvd zombie movies and when you look at some of the other straight to dvd zombie movies, Romero is far and away at the head of his field. Unfortunately it’s the equivalent of a bottom of the barrel Major Leaguer playing in the Minors.

[quote=“Dex”]
Apparently the film’s gotta new title. “…Of the Dead”. Not sure if that’s really the official title but they’ve printed up posters and they’ve been done filming for like a week now so I’d have to imagine they’ve settled on a title. As much as I hated reusing “Island of the Dead” “…” Is ten times worse in my opinion. I actually like the sound of the plot though. Could have potential.

Anywhere here’s the new teaser posters:

[/quote]

They look fake as hell, but they’re not. Doesn’t look good, but I’ll watch it, loved land of the dea, so I think he has still got it.

[quote=“NonStop”]
They look fake as hell, but they’re not. Doesn’t look good, but I’ll watch it, loved land of the dea, so I think he has still got it.
[/quote]

LOL, I actually wasn’t gonna post them cause I thought they looked so fake but then I read that they’ve been using them at the American Film Market. I’m sort of hoping that the shoddiness of the posters means that “…Of the Dead” is not the final title, but at the same time it doesn’t bode well for a movie to be this far along in production and still not be able to settle on a title.

[quote=“Dex”]
LOL, I actually wasn’t gonna post them cause I thought they looked so fake but then I read that they’ve been using them at the American Film Market. I’m sort of hoping that the shoddiness of the posters means that “…Of the Dead” is not the final title, but at the same time it doesn’t bode well for a movie to be this far along in production and still not be able to settle on a title.
[/quote]

It sure doesn’t.

who cares about the fucking titles. We’ll just have to wait and see what the film is and will do. You don’t judge a film by its title. Well maybe with a few like The Last Mimzy. Do i dare pay 10 dollars to see what a Mimzy is? I think NOT.

I think most people judge films by the title in a way. It’s the first thing you learn about a film and if the title is stupid your less likely to want to learn more. First impressions are important.

As far as “…of the Dead” is concerned I’m not saying the movie’s gonna suck just cause it’s title does. I’m simply judging the title on it’s own. Still got my fingers crossed hoping it’s just temporary.

Still no title but there is a trailer now.

Trailer of the Dead

Still kinda hard to form an opinion as the video’s pretty low quality but it’s not looking good. All I’m really expecting/hoping for though is something better than Diary.

[quote=“Dex”]
Still no title but there is a trailer now.

Trailer of the Dead

Still kinda hard to form an opinion as the video’s pretty low quality but it’s not looking good. All I’m really expecting/hoping for though is something better than Diary.
[/quote]

You can tell the film hasn’t been edited yet. That trailer shouldn’t be out yet because it doesn’t really say much about the film - it might mislead some people.

Voltage Films?

Yeah, I’m not sure why they put it out so early. If you can’t put together a coherent trailer you probly shouldn’t put one out at all.

I had completely forgotten about this movie but apparently it’s called “Survival of the Dead” now and will be playing at Fantastic Fest which starts September 24th.

the zombie movie has really suffered since day of the dead simply because the zombie isnt a great horror villan - theyre slow and unthrethening. as much as I love Georges old movies, Land and PARTICULARLY Diary of the dead were dreadful movies. George romero is a very talented guy but I think its time he switched focus back on to something else - like Martin is a great movie and it had no zombie content at all! ;D

(if this post makes no sense its cause im really drunk)

romero cant direct a decent movie to save his life nowadays…

Doesn’t seem to be very good at writing or casting them either.

[quote=“blue_lou_boyle”]
the zombie movie has really suffered since day of the dead simply because the zombie isnt a great horror villan - theyre slow and unthrethening. as much as I love Georges old movies, Land and PARTICULARLY Diary of the dead were dreadful movies. George romero is a very talented guy but I think its time he switched focus back on to something else - like Martin is a great movie and it had no zombie content at all! ;D

(if this post makes no sense its cause im really drunk)

[/quote]

Don’t worry lou, it’s plenty coherent.

I couldn’t agree more. I really wish George would step as far away from

the zombie pictures as possible. I’d love to see him do something

more in the vein of Martin or Knightriders again.

Of course, that would mean moving away from financially-safe territory,

and into the oh-so scary world of orginality & uncertainty.

The Zombie genre is considered financially safe?

[quote=“Dex”]
The Zombie genre is considered financially safe?
[/quote]

I imagine it would be for Romero. Especially considering he’s become synonymous w/ it.

[quote=“Elmer Ephraim Ellsworth”]
Don’t worry lou, it’s plenty coherent.

I couldn’t agree more. I really wish George would step as far away from

the zombie pictures as possible. I’d love to see him do something

more in the vein of Martin or Knightriders again.

Of course, that would mean moving away from financially-safe territory,

and into the oh-so scary world of orginality & uncertainty.
[/quote]

To start with, George is very cynical about working with large studios, he believes they take too much away from his ideas, and he has admitted that he works best without their regulations and constraints. In the case of Land Of The Dead he was left alone, so I really don’t understand why he works that way. Most zombie films these days are being released on DVDs. Though there is an imminent resurgence with Zombieland and the fourth Resident Evil installment. The zombie genre is not a very lucrative one at the box office. Resident Evil would be the most successful, but even then the films make 40-50 M tops in a month. But in the DVD market and video game market they are very strong.

I liked Diary Of The Dead, but what I’ve noticed is that Tom Savini and his SPFX was a major contribution to the movies, it gave it a cartoon look - almost. And as he does them now, they seem too serious, there has to be a balance between the seriousness. There was some light comedic moments in Dawn Of The Dead and Day Of The Dead. Those elemeents are no longer present in his recent films, that’s why we feel a little cheated, because it’s a new kind of Romero. It’s smart that they are waiting for Zombieland to come out, if there is a comeback the new film will be released in theatres. Hopefully a wide release.

I don’t think it matters what genre he works under or what the blood looks like. He just needs to make a decent flick. It doesn’t even have to be great.

I think his major draw back is that his films have never really been that spectacular. They stood out because he was doing something different with the Zombie genre and while it was really innovative for the time he hasn’t stepped things up nearly enough to stay on par with modern cinema.

I disagree, the films that Tom Savini was a prt of had a comical edge. Look at Night Of The Living Dead, which was done without Savini, the film is great, but it’s as serious as his recent films. Look at the film Creepshow and the SPFX it had. Savini was a HUGE asset to the Romero movies. Why did he quit acting?! I loved his roles, like in Martin where he plays Christine’s boyfriend, I loved that! I miss Tom Savini, Romero needs to get him back!

I always thought all of them were meant to be serious movies. Comical SPFX is never a good thing in a serious horror movie.