Future Directors

whoa, thanks sooo much. That helps like a mother fucker. you and your awesome information! :slight_smile: :wink: :smiley: ;D

I donā€™t know what part of Canada youā€™re from, but the Ontario education system has those courses I listed.

Great, hey thanks again for that information deliveryman. Itā€™s really helpful :wink: :slight_smile: ;D

Hi everyone iā€™m new, I was lucky enough to go to a High school that provided Video production. Itā€™s pretty cool, the teacher gives you an assingment(5min feature, music video),

you write up a treatment, and then you get school provided digital cameras, mics, ectā€¦ you use students from the class and you friends as actors. When your done you edit your footage using Final Cut Pro and then present you project to the class. If the project is good enough itā€™s presented to the school.

just found this areaā€¦wow. Yeah, last month I made a feature length crime comedy using a handheld JVC camcorder (definitely not 3ccd but it was cheap) and some various sound equipmentā€¦not to mention Adobe Premiere Pro. Granted I spent a bit of money, but I just love the end result.

I think the most important thing, and it has been said here, is that you just do it. My feature isnā€™t the greatest thing in the world, but it is my first work and its the type of movie Iā€™ve wanted to see.

My little rant for the evening. God I wish my school had had something like a video production class.

no one goes over here much anymoreā€¦come on folksā€¦ anymore advice in any areas of this part would be the most helpful thing in the world, to anybody wanting to be in the film industryā€¦

[quote]As for what courses you should take in high-school that would look good?

Writerā€™s Craft

Photography

English

Film History

Directorā€™s Craft

Drama (maybe)
[/quote]

I would have to disagree there on photographyā€¦ I took Photo thinking it would teach me how to compose a shot or whatever but I ended up learning more by reading a cinematography book outside the class.

[quote]

I would have to disagree there on photographyā€¦ I took Photo thinking it would teach me how to compose a shot or whatever but I ended up learning more by reading a cinematography book outside the class.
[/quote]

[color=Orange]Yep, me too!

Although, photography classes did help me. But I too learned more from cinematography, videography & drawing classes (at the Academy of Art College in SF), since framing for still photography is sometimes different from framing for film (i.e. the rule of thirds composition).

8)

If you honestly think that photography isnā€™t a major part of film-making and ā€œfinding your shots,ā€ youā€™re insane.

Im really lucky, next summer i get to go to a camp where you get to write, direct and edit your own movies. ;D And when other people are making theirs you get to do the sound and lighting for theirs.You dont use digital cameras either, you use real ones! Its insanley expensive though. :frowning: Also im only 14 so its great to be able to get hands on experience at such a young age.

This is incredible, my high school offers only one of the courses you recommended, and thatā€™s English. Iā€™ve never heard of these camps you guys are talking about, but i doubt my parents would jump for it if i had. Youā€™re incredibly lucky to have these experiences. I live in a ridiculously small town in Georgia. There are no filmakers. There are no aspiring filmmakers. Itā€™s pretty much just me. Iā€™m fourteen, so the only experience iā€™ve collected is making short films on my camcorder. Iā€™ve got Sony Screenblast (i donā€™t really recommend it, itā€™s not professional in any way), and a Sony Digital Handycam, and i started watching Hitchcock and Leone films and imitating the shots they got, when i was 12. Itā€™s a great way to get a feel for how to make a movie look good, and helps you on your way to finding great shots of your own. All the tips iā€™ve gotten off this site have been great, itā€™s really important to have some source of help when it comes to this stuff. The reason i posted, was to ask if anyone had any new cost efficient film making advice. Iā€™ve read Robert Rodriguezā€™s book, and seen his ten minute film school on the El Mariachi DVD, iā€™ve heard Kevin Smithā€™s tips, i was just wondering if anyone had anything new to shareā€¦

[quote]This is incredible, my high school offers only one of the courses you recommended, and thatā€™s English. Iā€™ve never heard of these camps you guys are talking about, but i doubt my parents would jump for it if i had. Youā€™re incredibly lucky to have these experiences. I live in a ridiculously small town in Georgia. There are no filmakers. There are no aspiring filmmakers. Itā€™s pretty much just me. Iā€™m fourteen, so the only experience iā€™ve collected is making short films on my camcorder. Iā€™ve got Sony Screenblast (i donā€™t really recommend it, itā€™s not professional in any way), and a Sony Digital Handycam, and i started watching Hitchcock and Leone films and imitating the shots they got, when i was 12. Itā€™s a great way to get a feel for how to make a movie look good, and helps you on your way to finding great shots of your own. All the tips iā€™ve gotten off this site have been great, itā€™s really important to have some source of help when it comes to this stuff. The reason i posted, was to ask if anyone had any new cost efficient film making advice. Iā€™ve read Robert Rodriguezā€™s book, and seen his ten minute film school on the El Mariachi DVD, iā€™ve heard Kevin Smithā€™s tips, i was just wondering if anyone had anything new to shareā€¦[/quote]

You might have to wait a little bit longer to actually take the courses you WANT to take. In Canada, in grade 9 everyone is forced to take french, math, english, science, etc. Though, as you get older, the subjects become more specific and more to your choosing. Iā€™m sure they have some sort of film program in the Georgia education system.

I lnow im goona be a director. But you gotta see how god you are and, like the Tarantino

forum Admin said you gotta make a couple hundred short films - between 5 and 10 mintes long.

I dont like to make short short films because you dont get to see your full

talent. Do like a thirty to fourty minute film.

That works too.

I really really really want to become a director! The problem is money, I have the time, But no money!! CURSE YOU UNEMPLOYMENT!!! CURSE YOU!!! >:( >:( >:( >:(

pump yo money out of family & friends

Taking Kevin Smiths advice for getting money find a job at a non - chain video store and get a job working the casheir. Youā€™ll get lots of phone calls from credit card companies. tell them your the mamanger of the store and you make 50 thousand dollars a year. Then sign up for credit cards. That how Kevin Smith made Mallrats by maxing out all of his credit cards.

for clerks

Hmmmm, I might just try that. Ive just gotta stop spendin all my money on DVDs!