Favorite DVD Commentary

[quote=“Laydback”]
I wonder if it’s as awful as the one with Richard Schikel,Shickel,whoever…My god, what a complete waste of time that one was.
[/quote]

Sorry, I meant Schikel not Milius (Why did I write Milius?) That one really sucks

[quote=“Bad Max”]
Sorry, I meant Schikel not Milius (Why did I write Milius?) That one really sucks
[/quote]

Oh I was thinking Milius did one of a different region-release because he’s on the participants on the Once/West track. Can’t blame you for thinking of that name since he doesn’t have anything to say either!

He’s the one that tells the ‘‘Sergio ate 4 kinds of pasta every day’’ blabla story, right?

He’s so fuckin booring

Frayling does make mistake, though, everyone does but as the “ultimate Leone expert” he should know that Tucamcari is in New Mexico (USA) and not Mexico, as he says it is

You have to bare with those commentaries, I find. They are indeed VERY boring, you have to be in the mood. I haven’t read Fraylings Book yet, and funnily enough, I have loaned it out twice from my university library, but I never have the time. :-</E>

The commentaries are really boring, but there are some right jems in there. Because Frayling knew Leone, and had talks with him, you can’t get that sort of information anywhere. I also love all the producers and guys that were involved with Leone talk about him, Alberto Grimaldi I think is another one. The stuff they say, as boring as they sound, and as difficult it is for them to finally finish a sentence, they give the kind of information Leone fans want. Leone stuff is quite rare.

Milius I think had something to do with the Duck, You Sucker stuff as well as John Ford’s The Searchers DVD.

Also, I love Scorsese’s commentary on his films or on other films (regardless of whether it’s an actual commentary track). Scorsese footage is also quite rare to find (not as rare as Kubrick though) so anything with Scorsese in talking - I have to have. I heart him. :-*

I wasnt too impressed by the OUATITW commentaries. They were alright I guess. Carpenter basically just described what was going on in the scenes. Frayling’s was pretty good. Milius was dull and Alex Cox was so so.

A few of my fav commentaries, no part order. (I think we did a list of these way back when already if I’m not mistaken).

QT/Jack Hill on Switchblade Sisters

Catriona McColl and David Warbeck on The Beyond

John Carpenter/Kurt Russell The Thing

Joe Bob Briggs on I Spit On your Grave

Richard Sarafian on Vanishing Point

Bruce Campbell/Sam Raimi on Evil Dead

Dana Kimmell, Richard Brooker, Larry Zerner and Co on Friday The 13th Part 3

Luke Y Thompson and Greg Weinkauf for Tattoo Connection

Andy Klein and Wade Major on Master of The Flying Guillotine

William Smith and Paul Koslo on The Losers

Francis Ford Coppola on Apoc Now

Roger Ebert on Citizen Kane

Tim Lucas and John Philip Law on Danger Diabolik

Ruggero Deodato and Robert Kerman for Cannibal Holocaust

Russ Meyer on Faster Pussycat Kill Kill

QT on True Romance

William Lustig, Fred Williamson, Robert Forester, Frank Pesce-Vigilante

Ken Foree, Scott Reiniger, David Emge, Gaylen Ross-Dawn of the Dead(European Cut)

John Carpenter, Kurt Russel-The Thing

Henry Hill, Edward McDonald-Goodfellas

William Friedkin-To Live and Die in L.A.

Paul Schrader-Blue Collar

I hate when the commentators just watch the movie and laugh long with the scenes. COMMENTATE ALREADY! ahemPenelope Spheerisahem. Or when commentators brag about their movie and he shots they were able to get…ahemAbel Ferraraahem

QT’s commentary on True Romance was great. I love when QT commentates.

I love when Harold Ramis does commentary as well. He’s always so down to Earth.

One commentary that really surprised me was the director/producer commentary for Dawn of the Dead remake. One of my favorites.

Christmas Vaction also had a wonderful commentary! Worth buying the DVD for.

But the one thing that always annoys the piss out of me is when the commentators don’t sign off by saying ‘Thank You’ and ‘Goodbye’. When the commentaries unknowingly just end when you’re waiting for more during the roll of the credits, just ruins the entire experince for some reason. I love when directors etc. put feeling into their commentary.

I like when commentaries tell some backstory like In the Texas Chainsaw Massacre’s commentary you find out that the dead animal in the first scene of the movie was really stuffed.

[quote=“me”]
I like when commentaries tell some backstory like In the Texas Chainsaw Massacre’s commentary you find out that the dead animal in the first scene of the movie was really stuffed.
[/quote]

lol - I had no idea

I was listening to the fight for your life commentary track earlier today and I love it,I really enjoy commentries where you can tell how happy they are and how much they love the film.William Lustig loves this movie with a passion :slight_smile:

the punisher had good one, im not a huge fan of the film but i got it anyway. Because it had a low budget the director went into detail about how they over came things with small budgets, also the jackass the movie one was hilarious

In the Ichi the Killer commentary, Miike talks a bit about Tarantino.

Thought that was pretty cool…

[quote=“ThaDuke”]
In the Ichi the Killer commentary, Miike talks a bit about Tarantino.

Thought that was pretty cool…
[/quote]

What does he say?

Don’t remember exactly. Just that he talks a bit about his new movie being made, Jackie Brown, and that he really loves movies.

The Lord of the Rings series

Futurama

Garden State

Sin City

The Matrix commentaries are quite interesting as well. One track has film critics on it, and the other has philosophers.

I’d love to watch the commentary to Lord of the Rings, but shit! who has the time?!

[quote=“ThaDuke”]
I’d love to watch the commentary to Lord of the Rings, but shit! who has the time?!
[/quote]
it took me a few sittings to watch each movie, even without the commentary on

Took me three days.

[quote=“ThaDuke”]
Took me three days.
[/quote]
yea i think it took me that long as well, i waited for a dvd release before i seen them becuase i hate 3 hours+ movies in the cinema, except for gindhouse :slight_smile: i watch movies when i go to bed so i always found myself falling asleep when i watched them