El Topo/Holy Mountain R1 announced!

i must see this film.

[quote=“Sebastian”]
it’s not a Spaghetti. just for the record. :angel:
[/quote]
Yeah someone posted a thread in non spaghetti westen board.

The arthouse in my city released the both movies for two weeks cause the boxset has just been released here in France.

Couldn’t see Holy Moutain but I saw El Topo, ahah, this is a really crazy movie. From begining to end, all this mix between a biblical western, trash midnight movie. The blood looks like some red painting, really cool and beautiful. It’s been a cool experience on big screen.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
Couldn’t see Holy Moutain but I saw El Topo, ahah, this is a really crazy movie. From begining to end, all this mix between a biblical western, trash midnight movie. The blood looks like some red painting, really cool and beautiful. It’s been a cool experience on big screen.
[/quote]

Got any questions about it? (Thanks to the commentary) I can answer some of the weird stuff for you.

Well, I think I kinda understood everything, just only where does the black woman come from (not his girlfriend but the second one) ? I don’t know if I skipped any details or if it’s not said in the movie itself.

What did you think of the movie ? I had only seen extracts in a midnight movie docu, but I didn’t expect that kind of movie. At least, I didn’t expect the whole biblical dimension.

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
Well, I think I kinda understood everything, just only where does the black woman come from (not his girlfriend but the second one) ? I don’t know if I skipped any details or if it’s not said in the movie itself.
[/quote]

At first I thought she was just some random gunfighter who uses El Topo as a pawn to become “the master gunfighter”, but Jodorowsky said she was there to represent El Topo’s feminine side. The side that runs off and chooses love rather than fulfilling a journey (This is a theme repeated in Holy Mountain as well) El Topo was also meant to be the 5th master gunfighter, but didn’t know it, and he evolved with each gun duel resulting into his eventual full rebirth.

I thought the same too first but sounds very logical from Jodorowsky to say she’s the feminine side of El Topo, that’s why she’s dressed in black like him and end up with his girl.

Btw I first didn’t recognize Jodorowsky after his rebirth, I wondered for some minutes if it was still El Topo cause it sounds logical but I couldn’t recognize him. Same with his son, I only understand it was his son when he also recognize him, couldn’t figure out before even if he was a priest and had the same long curly black hair.

Btw who plays the son as a grown up ? I’ve seen in the ending credits it was also someone called Jodorowsky, is that his bro ? Someone from his family ?

[quote=“cyber-lili”]
Btw who plays the son as a grown up ? I’ve seen in the ending credits it was also someone called Jodorowsky, is that his bro ? Someone from his family ?
[/quote]

Brontis Jodorowsky plays El Topo’s son (The naked lil’ kid) Robert John plays the son as a grown up. Jodorowsky said John was a painter living in Mexico at the time. I don’t remember if he was American or Canadian.

Oh ok, thx for the info. Cool he asked his son to play the role, ahah at least he didn’t disturb another kid than his own.

Next time I watch The Holy Mountain I’ll be trippin on K for sure. I saw a cut/dubbed version at the theatres in feb and loved every second of it.

i was reading my new issue american cinematographer today when i came across this article and went and found it online about El topo. <LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.ascmag.com/magazine_dynamic/ … /page1.php”>http://www.ascmag.com/magazine_dynamic/June2007/DVDPlayback/page1.php</LINK_TEXT>

Forgot to mention the CD soundtracks that come with the box set. I thought El Topo’s soundtrack was a surprising letdown. You don’t get to hear many scores from the film:

No Galloping title sequence?

No castration anguish?

No “false immortality” sequence?

But Holy Mountain’s soundtrack doesn’t disappoint. The music just reaches out and grabs you the way the incredible cinematic images do. Dare I say Jodorowsky only has the power to do this!?!