DePalma influence?

welcome back!

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
DePalma is one of QTs BIGGEST influences, even moreso than Hitchcock.
[/quote]

But Hitchcock is DePalma’s biggest influence, so wouldn’t that inadverdently make them equal in terms of influences on Tarantino’s films?

[quote=“visualsynergy”]
But Hitchcock is DePalma’s biggest influence, so wouldn’t that inadverdently make them equal in terms of influences on Tarantino’s films?
[/quote]
yes and it would make hitchcock a bigger influence.

Cha-ching!

[quote=“Jjp”]
yes and it would make hitchcock a bigger influence.
[/quote]

Well not completely. DePalma has his own visual/technical style and his own black comedy persona in film. EVERY director of DePalma/Scorsese/Spielberg’s generation was influenced by Hitch, but they do have their own styles now.

All directors learn from their favorite directors, just like Bob Dylan took ideas from all the musicians he admired (Woody Guthrie etc) to find his own style. Thats part of being an artist.

Hitch was everyone’s influence. That is a no-brainer. Here are the equivalents of Hitch in their fields:

Jimi Hendrix - guitar

Leonardo DaVinci - art

Napoleon - crazy short dudes ;D

[quote=“PopeyePete”]Even the opening of Dogs/diner scene in Death Proof is patterned after the opening of Scarface[/quote]
Good call, never thought about that before.

[quote=“Kilgore Trout”]
Napoleon - crazy short dudes ;D
[/quote]

;D ;D ;D

[quote=“Dantes Inferno”]
Good call, never thought about that before.

[/quote]

where the detectives are asking him questions?

Yep.

[quote=“PopeyePete”]
Well not completely. DePalma has his own visual/technical style and his own black comedy persona in film. EVERY director of DePalma/Scorsese/Spielberg’s generation was influenced by Hitch, but they do have their own styles now.
[/quote]

But out of those three, DePalma was the one most influenced by Hitch. Spielberg took his style from Kurosawa and old Westerns, while I believe Scorsese was a Hawks fan and also a fan of old gangster films (don’t quote me on that though).

But I see what you’re saying though. DePalma is more of a direct influence on Tarantino visually speaking, but in terms of story and ways to build suspense Hitchcock is more of an influence in general. If A = B and C = B, then B = C.

Of course, Hitch was one of the pioneers who basically created a big part of the visual language of cinema which the directors who came after him used to find their own styles. Id say DePalma is definitely his main successor in terms of mastering/using the art of visual technique to tell stories cinematically. Theres no doubt about it.

Tarantino has said many times that hes more of a fan of DePalma than Hitchcock. I think its mainly because of DePalma’s own personal style, not because of Hitchcock. Not every single thing DePalma has done is simply from Hitchcock. Yes, hes a big influence on him, but DePalma is DePalma.

Its like, why does QT thank DePalma and Argento? Is it because they are influenced by Hitch or because they each have their own unique personas as directors?

Like you said, it would be too basic to thank Hitchcock. But I’m speaking more in terms of the influence Hitch has had on DePalma and other directors (Argento and Tarantino included), meaning that he’s just as responsible for inspiring Tarantino as DePalma even if Tarantino prefers the 70’s genre directors to Hitch.

I know what youre saying too. Im just saying that DePalma has his own particular persona even if he was influenced alot by Hitch. Thats why QT thanks him and not Hitch I guess.

That makes sense. I like some of DePalma’s movies, even if he does steal from Hitchcock a little too much in my opinion. But I guess it’s all subjective when it comes down to it.

whaddya mean?

camera movements and stuff like that?

I fuckin’ gotta watch that movie again, I ain’t seen it for months!

Steal is a harsh word but he is “influenced” by Hitch

[quote=“me”]
Steal is a harsh word but he is “influenced” by Hitch

[/quote]

Steal may be too harsh, but influenced is too “nice” of a word. He definitely pays homage in his films, but at the same time he is taking a lot from Hitch so it’s definitely more than just being influenced in general.

I think all directors steal ideas from their heroes. DePalma is his own director at this point, he is def influenced by Hitch, but hes influenced by alot of other directors too.

Also if youre working in certain genres (as DePalma works in the thriller genre often), theres almost no way you can not re-work or steal certain themes/visual forms that were originally used by Hitchcock, since he was the guy who essentially created that genre.

If you want to see more where hes coming from, heres a really great interview with The Master:

- YouTube

cool

damn long, there’s like 8 parts…I’ll watch it someday

thanks for the link!