BOXOFFICE: $22.2mill (1st Weekend,USA)

Guys you’re looking at it all wrong… quentin said something in one of his interview which I totally agree with, the opening weekend is the least important time in a films “lifeâ€?.. kill bill had a nice beginning and now what’s important is that it gets some momentum and draws the main stream attention 2 it… some of u are disappointed because it didn’t much the opening numbers of bullshit films like underworld, and I think that’s just plain stupid… kill bill is still much of mystery to most mainstream audience and it’s a much harder film to promote then those popcorn flick… same thing with pulp fiction which no one knew what it was and received modest opening figures , but then started gaining a lot of momentum and attention 2 it (and we all know how that ended up…)

I hope Kill Bill surpasses all the other QT film box office takes and makes 250 million or more before its gone from theaters. I hope Volume 2 makes twice as much as Volume 1.

Man, people really need to see this Film on the big.screen if you ask me :smiley:

[quote]Man, people really need to see this Film on the big.screen if you ask me :smiley:[/quote]

That’s right. Of course, if people just download it…

I want Kill Bill to rake in a ton of fucking money, because I want Quentin to make money and let people know how fucking good he is at his game. He is the movie fuckin’ masta. He owns at his craft. I saw Kill Bill friday, and sadly, saw House the the Dead the following day. I felt SOOO bad, that I went out tonight and saw Kill Bill again. And I’m seeing it again next week because one of my friends didnt see it this weekend. And because the movie fucking owns. Also, I dont think that Volume 2 will do as well as Volume 1, just because the amount of people who hated Volume 1, will not give Volume 2 a chance. And since its Volume 2, the people who missed out on Volume 1, may not bother to see it cause unlike some sequels, Seeing V.1 is instrumental to seeing Volume 2. But you know what? I could easily be wrong in all this, I casually am. All I know it, Kill Bill owns, and should make tons. Thank you.

[quote]Guys you’re looking at it all wrong… quentin said something in one of his interview which I totally agree with, the opening weekend is the least important time in a films “lifeâ€?.. kill bill had a nice beginning and now what’s important is that it gets some momentum and draws the main stream attention 2 it… some of u are disappointed because it didn’t much the opening numbers of bullshit films like underworld, and I think that’s just plain stupid… kill bill is still much of mystery to most mainstream audience and it’s a much harder film to promote then those popcorn flick… same thing with pulp fiction which no one knew what it was and received modest opening figures , but then started gaining a lot of momentum and attention 2 it (and we all know how that ended up…)[/quote]

The thing is, Kill Bill only has a couple weeks to gather mega bucks in America. This isn’t a talky crime drama like Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. This is an action/martial arts movie that falls into a genre which the Matrix Revolutions overlaps. Now, I’ll take Kill Bill over the Matrix any day, but mainstream audiences might not, and before you say “fuck mainstream” they are the ones that bring in the big bucks. They are the ones, in America and overseas, that’ll prove QT’s wonderful freedom in KB well founded, and will lead to QT having continued freedom, perhaps to an even greater extent, in future projects.

I think people need to stop compairing Kill Bill to Pulp Fiction. Just because it was directed by the same guy, Pulp was an Indi film and that cost less than 8 million. Pulp also made the big bucks over a long period of time like almost all Indi films do. Kill Bill is a huge fuckin picture that cost over 60 million to make. And that’s all i have to say

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/char … -10&p=.htm”>Domestic Box Office For Oct 10, 2003 - Box Office Mojo</LINK_TEXT> (from the other, now closed topic).

I think Kill Bill will make even greater money internationally. There are huge fan bases all over the world, and especially in countries where the ratings-boards are usually harsher, people will be wanting to see this “gory new tarantino flick”.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,99836,00.html

FoxNews boasts $22.7 Million!

(@

AJCrane

I agree with Puck and all the others that believe the movie will do good as more time passes. As much as many love QT, he still isn’t that known among mainstream audiences who spend most of their movie money on Michael Bay flicks and teen comedies. I’m content with the $22.2-22.7 million. Miramax have already momentarily gained their costs in the first 3 days; if you divide the total budget of $55 million by two. We’ll see if Kill Bill retains the top spot next weekend; there’s that Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake coming out…

Considering Kill Bill was a year shoot and $55 mil budget, having recouped about 40% of that in 3 days is pretty good I’d say.

Even if vol1 covers the 50mil mark it will still be dissapointing. This was a heavy hyped film , miramax went all out for it. Yes it had R rating but it should of made atleast 35mil in the first week. This only proved that tarantino name doesnt guarantee 100mil unless the fanboys each keep watching this everyday and people who were turned off by the trailers chose to give it a chance. Specially with texas chainsaw massacre just days away thats another chunck of people it will take away from KB this coming week. Expect another 8mil this week to boost it to 30mil total unless something drastic happens.

I don’t know where you guys are, but Kill Bill is killing where I live. All my friends that haven’t seen it yet can’t get in, because all the showings are sold out. I think KB is doing pretty well.

Best opening ever for a QT movie and also one of the best October openings ever…sounds good to me.  I’ve seen it twice and both screenings were packed and everyone seemed to love it.  It deserves every cent it makes!

Just for the record, when speculating about the opening weekend take, I said that it would take in around 25 - 30 Million. So… HA!

I’m disappointed it only took in 22.5.

[quote]Even if vol1 covers the 50mil mark it will still be dissapointing. This was a heavy hyped film , miramax went all out for it. Yes it had R rating but it should of made atleast 35mil in the first week. This only proved that tarantino name doesnt guarantee 100mil unless the fanboys each keep watching this everyday and people who were turned off by the trailers chose to give it a chance.[/quote]

Well, maybe now people will stop to think how many people downloaded the movie and forgot to go see it in the theatre eh… I’d say at least another $15 mil by the next week end, which recoups full budget.

Well people that download movies rarely go to the theaters anyway. They are locked in their basement 24/7. So you cant blame the downloaders for being a downfall in the boxoffice. If anyone should be blamed are the idiots who made the trailer. The bootleg ones were so good and it would of appealed to everyone. The theatrical was jsut a dissaster, it looked like a charliers angels ripoff. Underworld sucked but their trailer was really good so it convinced some minds to go see it.

[quote]Well people that download movies rarely go to the theaters anyway. They are locked in their basement 24/7. So you cant blame the downloaders for being a downfall in the boxoffice. If anyone should be blamed are the idiots who made the trailer. The bootleg ones were so good and it would of appealed to everyone. The theatrical was jsut a dissaster, it looked like a charliers angels ripoff. Underworld sucked but their trailer was really good so it convinced some minds to go see it.[/quote]

Amen!

I mean, for fucks sake, can we keep all that downloading crap in the downloading thread. Do i need to repeat what i said:

"there are some ignorant people out there in the world wide web, who couldn’t give a shit whether they see the movie or not, and downloading it makes no difference to them."

I know i sound pro-downloading (which i’m not), but the fact is, the whole argument is starting to get tiresome…

I thought I’d chime in on the box office discussion.

22mil is good…not great, but good. It doesn’t surprise me that it didn’t make more. Everyone that I’d lump into the mainstream audience category said they wouldn’t see it because they thought it looked stupid, which is fine. I went to see it this afternoon and there were about 15 or so people in the theater (mostly a mainstream-type audience) and when we were all coming out of the theater there was sort of a unanimous “ugh” look. I’m not really sure that mainstream audiences are responding well to this movie, whether it’s the violence or the genre references or the fact that they just don’t get it.

The few film geeks that were in attendence (myself being part of that group) reacted well to it. Myself, I thought it was a good movie. I don’t think it’s the “spectacular, dazzling, outstanding masterpiece” that some critics are calling it, but I thought it was a good movie…or half-movie. :slight_smile:

[quote]

Amen!

I mean, for fucks sake, can we keep all that downloading crap in the downloading thread. Do i need to repeat what i said:

“there are some ignorant people out there in the world wide web, who couldn’t give a shit whether they see the movie or not, and downloading it makes no difference to them.”

[/quote]
I’ll keep the “downloading crap” where I see fit to mention it. A perfect argument for how many didn’t see the fucking movie. They downloaded it and it had an affect on the box office maybe big, maybe small - noone knows but it has an affect and that’s the point…