Azumi 1 & 2

No english subs on R2 JP release of Azumi 2. It was released today. UK version will be released 17/10/2005.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
No english subs on R2 JP release of Azumi 2. It was released today. UK version will be released 17/10/2005.
[/quote]

Hey Hung Fist, did I tell you, that I will see Azumi 2 next month on the Big Screen? *sssssssssmile*

From what I’ve heard, “Azumi 2” will be a cool movie and quite satisfying for those who loved already the first part. I don’t expect a great storyline, I don’t expect surprising twists and I don’t expect deep characters. From what I’ve read so far, the fighting-scenes should be quite well choreographed, even better than in the first one. Of course there will be the occasional fast cuts, that has become so popular nowadays, sadly, but if it is done well, it may be even quite dynamic. And the sword-play should be quite bloody, too, with quite a few severed limbs and heads. I’m eager to see, what Shusuke Kaneko made of it. He also used a quite inventive technique, where he mounted a camera on Aya Ueto’s shoulder, to get a first-person-perspective on a battle-scene.

Any news if they plan to do a third part? If you do have them, please post 'em here.

And two very nice pictures of Aya Ueto and Chiaki Kuriyama.

I hope they get to fight each other at least once . . . :smiley:

[quote=“diceman”]
I hope they get to fight each other at least once . . . :smiley:
[/quote]

Hehe, I can see you dreaming of a fight between the two chicks and the price would be… you. Right?

[quote=“CPS”]

Hey Hung Fist, did I tell you, that I will see Azumi 2 next month on the Big Screen? sssssssssmile
[/quote]

Hey CPS, did I tell you, that I just got my dvd and will watch the film later this evening ;D ;D ;D I’m just burning a new dvd with subs added.

[quote=“Hung Fist”]
Hey CPS, did I tell you, that I just got my dvd and will watch the film later this evening ;D ;D ;D I’m just burning a new dvd with subs added.
[/quote]

Boah! Time to order a new gun and start hunting in “Finland”

btw, gimme your adress - just for nothing s

Just watched Azumi 2. The opening sequence is pretty cool, but after that the movie gets almost boring for some time. The scipt seems poor, and there’s a long flashback from the first film (I hate when they do this with sequels). Luckily Aya’s cuteness saves a lot. After the first 30 minutes the film changes radacally. The script doesn’t get much better, but we start getting kick-ass action sequences every 10 minutes. Aya seems a bit slow at times, but overall the action scenes are very well made. They also feature some inventive weapons and fighting techniques. Azumi 2 is also a lot gorier that the first film. We get a nice amout of severed limbs and high-pressure blood spurts. Overall this is a nice sequel, despite the slow start. It’s not nearly as good as the first film, but it’s still higly enjoyable modern-day chambara flick.

4/5

i loved 1, i really really want to see 2 though!

i liked the first one alot (haven’t seen No.2). but i think it was to violent. i know what you guys are thinking right now but i actually like violence, it’s just that there was so much sword fights and violences that it made the ending kinda dule.

i really liked the part at the start were they had to kill each other, you won’t see that in a hollywood movie.

10k bullets Azumi 2 UK dvd review: http://www.10kbullets.com/reviews/azumi2.html

I have to say I strongly disagree about the quality of the UK release

My Azumi 2 dvd comparison review:

http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php?topic=4949.0

Today I found an “Azumi 2”-DVD in my letter box. It shouldn’t have arrived until Christmas, but now I can’t wait that long anymore. Have to watch it immediately. Tonight.

[quote=“diceman”]
Today I found an “Azumi 2”-DVD in my letter box. It shouldn’t have arrived until Christmas, but now I can’t wait that long anymore. Have to watch it immediately. Tonight.
[/quote]

Hey, you should visit me this weekend and we make an Azumi evening! Maybe Steffi will join us.

If you missed the previous dvd editions of Azumi here’s another yet option. IVL’s HK dvd seems to be the same international cut that is missing 15 min of footage (including action) that was released in the US, UK etc. Only the Japanese and French dvds come with the uncut version.

For Azumi 2 there isn’t too many (good) options yet. There’s the Korean release which was the first one to come out but there’s no english subs. The Japanese dvd (which I own) I quite good but no subs of course. Same with the french dvd, it’s slighly inferior to the R2J but still good. The UK release by Optimum is probably worst dvd release of recent years, absolutely horrible. The most recent release is the Australian Eastern Eye dvd. If I needed a subbed dvd release then the that would be my choise at the momeny . Good thing I don’t.

oh, and there should be a couple of European releases too. I think I saw a German disc at amazon.de but knowing their love for NTSC to PAL conversions I wouldn’t put my money on that.

Azumi International cut (128 min / NTSC) vs Japanese cut (143 min / NTSC)

[color=red]Some spoilers ahead

1. A short discussion on why they had to kill their team mates has been deleted

2. The mission briefing scene is gone, but can be heard as voice over during the

next scene. Unfortunately this “added” dialogue ruins the great use of music.

3. The big fight in the forrest is missing lots of footage, including shots of a

frightened soldier, Lord Kiyomasa preparing for fight and Azumi killing enemies and

dodging bullets. The soundtrack no longer matches the images as well as it should.

4. The Sasaki brothers scene is missing dialogue. This dialogue is referred later in

the movie, which makes the latter scene less funny.

5. Missing a scene where Azumi, Hyuga and Nagara go looking for the street performers

after they’ve left.

6. Missing a scene of Amagi trying to convince he can still pull out the mission.

7. The ninja fight is slightly shorter

8. The village ambush scene is missing action, dialogue and for some reason Saru’s attendance

9. The dream sequence is no longer in the movie

10. Missing dialogue between Kanbei and the old master

11. Missing a scene of Bijomaru threatening Saru.

12. Missing a dream-like sequence of Azumi with her old team mates.

13. Missing some humorous footage from the end.

That’s the missing footage I noticed when I compared the versions a few years back.

There could be more missing stuff that I just didn’t happen to notice, though.

Availability:

143 min (NTSC) version

R2J Toshiba

R2 FR TF1 (3 disc version)

128 min (NTSC)

R0 Thai EVS

R0 AU Eastern Eye

R1 US Asia Vision

R2 UK Optimum

R2 FI, SE, DK etc. Asian Vision/Universal

R2 DE Starmedia

R2 FR TF1 (1 disc & 3 disc)