A 2004 cellphone in a 70s movie

<LINK_TEXT text=“http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.p … 194.0.html”>http://www.tarantino.info/forum/index.php/topic,7194.0.html</LINK_TEXT>

I never saw this until now. Death Proof is a modern day picture, it looks and feels like a 70s picture. Example: cars on the road are modern, etc., etc.

[quote=“Biohazard”]
I never saw this until now. Death Proof is a modern day picture, it looks and feels like a 70s picture. Example: cars on the road are modern, etc., etc.
[/quote]

yes. This is why that guy said “I wonder if BJ brought the bear”. Stuntman Mike was still living in the 70’s but it was the 21st century. The reason that the bar and the atmosphere felt “1970’s” was because that’s how Austin, Texas really is - it’s a college town and vintage-70’s is in style down there right now.

Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown had a certain 70’s feel as well in some scenes. Those sets… It’s like those people were caught in some sort of 70’s time warp. QT is nostalgic for the 70’s and it shows in his work.

I remember watching Pulp Fiction the first time during the Jimmy scene and thinking why can’t Jimmy afford to redecorate. His wife is a nurse. They can afford it.

[quote=“nublob”]
His wife is a nurse. They can afford it.
[/quote]

;D I don’t see the connection there. do nurses earn well in Burbank, CA of 1995?

;D Yes I think they earned enough to put in some new kitchen cabinets and replace the shag carpeting with hardwood.

What about Marsellus’ house? That wasnt old fashioned.

I noted that some of the scenes in Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown were 70’s inspired. Jules’ wig was kind of 70’s inspired with the sideburns. Do you actually think that were mobsters walking around with hair like that in LA in 1994? If there were they would have gotten laughed off the street after being beat up. Pulp Fiction was just that fiction an alternate reality he created. It didn’t reflect the reality of LA life in 1994.

I think Geri curls were actually pretty popular in the 90s. Look at NWA and some of those dudes. Jules was actually exactly in style. He may have had more of a 70s look, but it wasnt uncommon.

Yes it was VERY uncommon. I lived in the 90s I remember. And NWA broke up in 91 about 3 years before Pulp came out.

Pulp had no specific year. It couldve been 1990 or 1991 or 1994. Anyways that hairstyle WAS part of early 90s black culture. Thats a fact. You cant say for a fact that there was absolutely no geri curls after 1992-93. Maybe Jules dug that look and wanted to keep wearing it. He was a gangster from Inglewood CA. It makes total sense. Plus QT wrote the film in the early 90s, it came out in 94. Case closed.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
I think Geri curls were actually pretty popular in the 90s. Look at NWA and some of those dudes. Jules was actually exactly in style. He may have had more of a 70s look, but it wasnt uncommon.
[/quote]

yes. Jules was cool and a trendsetter. I like to think that the movies don’t have a set date of time that they are set in. this way they are timeless.

I actually shouldve said early 90s. Because I think gheri curls were out of style as the 90s went on and the fades got popular. But Im pretty sure that Pulp took place in the early 90s. It couldve been 90-94 right at the time when Gheri curls were going out. But then again, its a movie. It doesnt matter.

so basically you’re agreeing with what I wrote earlier when I wrote that Pulp Fiction was just that fiction an alternate reality he created. It didn’t reflect the reality of LA life in 1994.

Some of it is based on reality, some of it obviously isnt. All his films are like that. There were guys wearing gheri curls in the early 90s (where Pulp was taking place, the final draft was finished in May 1993). But as the decade went on it went out of fashion. Were they in fashion in 94? Probably not. But it wasnt an alien thing like you described.

My main point was that there were black people who had geri curls in the early 90s. Im sure there were black dudes in Englewood who had em. So it wasnt out of place really.

I think that everyone here is missing the point - it is a story - a story that could have taken place on any day of any year - the time doesn’t matter.

On another note - it is spelled “Jheri” Jheri curl - Wikipedia

named after Jheri Redding Jheri Redding - Wikipedia

“because Knowing is half the battle” ;D

Any day of any year? So it couldve been October 11, 1956? Its an early 90s based film.

And on another note: Who the hell cares how geri curls is spelled or who invented it? If people do care they are probably smart enough to look it up themselves.

[quote=“PutneySwope”]
Any day of any year? So it couldve been October 11, 1956? Its an early 90s based film.

And on another note: Who the hell cares how geri curls is spelled or who invented it? If people do care they are probably smart enough to look it up themselves.

[/quote]
just admit it - you can’t spell!

the fucking year doesn’t matter. Just look at the cab. Look at the boxing arena. Look at the pawn shop. Look at the apartment complex. All of them look like they are from different decades. You had the “flock of seagulls” hairstyle, you had the jheri curls hairstyle, you had the vincent vega look, the marcellus wallace shave, and the Mia Wallace thing. Let’s not forget about the “wax museum with a pulse”. All of these things insinuate that the movie has a very mixed amount of variables as far as what year it was is concerned.

With that said, one of the coolest things about Pulp is how it doesn’t have any sense of time at all…the end occurs in the middle and the middle happens at the end…the beginning is 3/4 of the way through it…TIME doesn’t matter in this movie.

Back to topic - DEATH PROOF is a time-specific film. Mike is a guy lost in the 70’s…and the cars in the movie are “off the hook” because they are 70’s mopar madness. The cellphone belongs in the film./

as I’ve said many times - Quentin doesn’t make mistakes when it comes to his films.

Noone said QT made mistakes in his films. The film jumps around in time, but that doesnt mean one scene takes place in the 70s and another is in the 50s (besides Butchs flashback/dream sequence). Its just the atmosphere he shot them in.

Vincent says he watched COPS. That started in 1989, so its def the early to mid 90s. Hence Jules’ JHERI curl do which was just about going out of fashion around the time Dogs came out.

Death Proof takes place in 2006-07. Theres a movie sign for Wolf Creek and Scary Movie 4.

A pic of Ice Cube in Boyz N The Hood which came out in 1991. Im pretty sure thats a JHERI curl do hes got. A few little tweaks and he could have the same exact look as Jules.

Jules with Jheri curl do.

I never said that it jumped around in time either…I just said that it wasn’t important to know what year it took place. It isn’t a movie like King Rat or The Great Escape where you know that it takes place during WWII. It isn’t a movie like Bogie Nights or Saturday Night Fever where you know it takes place in the 70’s. It really doesn’t matter when it takes place.

In my opinion, one of the worst things that a film-maker can do is to make a movie have elements that make it “dated”. That is one of the reasons that I like QT’s films so much - they are always going to be cool no matter what. My kids aren’t going to watch Pulp when they’re 20 and say …man, you guys really dressed funny back then - which is exactly what I told my dad when I saw Dog Day Afternoon - not that it is a bad movie - but it is “dated”